The advantage of reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: The advantage of reading

Post by Misaela »

If the power goes out you can still have a good time.
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
TD Matzenik
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Too many
Currently Reading: Ulysses by James Joyce
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TD Matzenik »

I loved history from an early age, probably due to my family's interest. In school I found the subject taught like an article in Reader's Digest. It seems to me history should be taught in reverse; get a grasp on what has happened in recent generations and then work back through the influences.
kat6496
Favorite Author: Liza Palmer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1314">The Disappearing Girl</a>
Currently Reading: Electric Barracuda - Tim Dorsey
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat6496.html
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
fav_author_id: 6497

Post by kat6496 »

There is no hobby quite like reading. You are all correct. Reading is inexpensive. You can do it in a club, or all alone. Shoot, you can do it naked in the bathtub! Reading keeps your mind stimulated. Reading takes you out of your current environment and helps when you are stressed, bored, feeling romantic or feeling sad. Reading opens you up to new ideas, styles, cultures and so much more.
I would also like to add that reading makes you smarter. It really does. "Millenials" and the "Me Generation" folks are in a world of texting, e-mailing, tweeting and the like. In my work environment, I can't even explain how difficult it is to stop the abbreviations, bad spelling and grammar, paraphrasing and general lack of communication skills. I know that this isn't everyone in the generation, but I find that those that are avid readers generally have better writing skills as well!
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
Cody Mathews
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cody-mathews.html
Latest Review: "Snowballs from Mars" by Mark Gillespie

Post by Cody Mathews »

Reading helps me pass the time during my commute.....and work on exercising my brain at the same time! Vocabulary, sentence construction and really helps with improving writing.
Latest Review: "Snowballs from Mars" by Mark Gillespie
thankyou
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankyou.html
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell

Post by thankyou »

Reading good books is just plain fun!!!
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

Reading helps me understand what teenagers are reading/into. Which is helpful as a teacher.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Jon-Ross
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings and World War Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jon-ross.html

Post by Jon-Ross »

Reading lets us lose ourselves in another world.
marissa_in
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-in.html

Post by marissa_in »

It broadens your mind and shapes the way you see yourself and society.
talia_in

Post by talia_in »

The advantage is learning new words!
m_buckner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-buckner.html

Post by m_buckner »

Reading expands your mind and can give you a different perspective on a given topic. Or it just allows your imagination to take flight.
shortyblue
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shortyblue.html

Post by shortyblue »

kat6496 wrote:There is no hobby quite like reading. You are all correct. Reading is inexpensive. You can do it in a club, or all alone. Shoot, you can do it naked in the bathtub! Reading keeps your mind stimulated. Reading takes you out of your current environment and helps when you are stressed, bored, feeling romantic or feeling sad. Reading opens you up to new ideas, styles, cultures and so much more.
I would also like to add that reading makes you smarter. It really does. "Millenials" and the "Me Generation" folks are in a world of texting, e-mailing, tweeting and the like. In my work environment, I can't even explain how difficult it is to stop the abbreviations, bad spelling and grammar, paraphrasing and general lack of communication skills. I know that this isn't everyone in the generation, but I find that those that are avid readers generally have better writing skills as well!
Well said! I couldn't agree with you more.
Tinamgolla
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinamgolla.html

Post by Tinamgolla »

Reading helps me to relax. it also helps to pass the time
lj adams

Post by lj adams »

I think one of the reasons people love to read is because it allows them to participate in other possible ways
of experiencing life. It's like stepping into the worlds of other people's ideas either real or imagined. And the possibilities are endless, for every writer has his or her own imagination.
riyanj
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower Series
Currently Reading: In between books
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyanj.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by riyanj »

I like to find new worlds and escape to new places. I like to read books that keep me guessing what's going to happen next so I can rush home, open the cover and lose myself after a long and stressful day at work.
julianfroment

Post by julianfroment »

Reading can be used for entertainment, but I always like to think of reading as learning. Learning about life, other's views and opinions, but mostly it allows us to improve ourselves by exposing us to things and situations that we may or may not have experienced in life

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”