Best way to read? Laying down? Sitting Up?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Nikos
Bookshelf Size: 0

Best way to read? Laying down? Sitting Up?

Post by Nikos »

Hey guys, I noticed that when I read in my bed, I get tired, and If I read sitting up, I get agitated. What are some of the best ways you guys manage to read for long periods of time?

-Nikos
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Nikos wrote:Hey guys, I noticed that when I read in my bed, I get tired, and If I read sitting up, I get agitated. What are some of the best ways you guys manage to read for long periods of time?

-Nikos
To be honest I can read just about anywhere. My big problem is never having enough time & 'life' interfering with my reading. :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

For me, there were only two activities that ever belonged in bed and neither of them was reading. I can't read prone. I sit. I sit in my rocking chair, I sit in the coffee shop, I sit in a restaurant while I eat dinner, I sit on a bench in the park, and I have a lovely collapsible chair I can use to sit on at the beach, in a field, or even, at times, in a garden.

If I'm standing in a long line I'll read but it's not my preferred position for reading.

I don't read in bed, lying on the couch, or strapped down in a dentist's chair. I have an appointment this morning and it's preying on my mind.

As for reading for a long time. I don't usually. I walk many miles a day but I'm not someone who has bought special shoes and special shorts and special shirts, hats, music devices, heart-rate monitors, and on and on and on. Know, I just walk out my door and keep walking. I stop and have coffee, I stop and chat with friends, I stop and hand out little books and lollipops to kids, and I give a doggie treat and a kind word to all the dogs I meet.

I'm afraid I read the same way. I read awhile, measured in minutes, and then I pause and ponder. Sometimes I ponder what I've read, sometimes something else, then I read again. Sometimes I stop to make a note about what I've read. I read and stop when the driver delivering water rings my bell or the phone rings or whatever and then it's back to reading. I read and stop to go get another cup of coffee or to see how the weather is shaping up.

Of course, I recognize I'm neither a serious walker or a serious reader. I do a lot of both, though.
andr70

Post by andr70 »

As for me I prefer to sit when I'm reading. But sometimes I gave to read something boring and not interesting, so I'm becoming tired of any poses and places to read.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Why not try audio books? They may send you to sleep in bed but if you are working around the house, they make the work go faster. CD, MP3, iPhone, etc, are better than computer downloads because they are more portable. Borrow them from a library rather than buy them and let the narrator do all the work.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Nikos

Post by Nikos »

Ehh, audio books spark no interest with me. I like to receive the benefit of not only gaining knowledge, but also making the mind translate symbols into meaning, which is supposedly very good for your brain, and happens only when reading.

-Nikos
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I prefer to read when sitting at a chair or besides my bed, but never in bed, i always turn the light out when i hop into bed so no reading there! :D
You only live once.....so live!
Melaniep

Post by Melaniep »

I can't read unless I'm completely comfortable, which means I either read in bed or on the couch with my legs tucked up under me. But for 'long distance' reading, I have to stick with the couch as I tend to get TOO comfortable reading in bed and fall asleep.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I usually read in my recliner, read for a while get up and take the dogs out, go to the bathroom, read again, if I see somone I know walking by Ill go out and BS with them a while, read again. Its kind of an up and down thing for me. I read in bed for about a half hour or so before I go to sleep. Im not married so I dont do the other thing in bed. Well, maybe sometimes if I find a suitable partner.
Heidi76
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: Dead Until Dark
Bookshelf Size: 196

Post by Heidi76 »

Reading and sleeping is all I do in bed... If I can choose I read lying down, for hours, but I also read when I make dinner, when I eat, sitting in the garden, on the kitchen floor, everywhere.
Evapohler

Post by Evapohler »

I have a favorite chair and ottoman where I usually read, but I can read in bed for hours without falling asleep. Taking a walk with my dog or chatting on the phone with a friend will wake me if I feel sleepy. Diet Coke helps, too.
StoneGolem

Post by StoneGolem »

I flop around to much. I can only stay comfortable for 10-20 minutes. I'll start on the deck, move inside to a chair, then to the couch.

... this doesn't help at all, does it?
SheldrakeWriter
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheldrakewriter.html
Latest Review: "A Newlywed's Adventures in Married Land" by Shweta Ganesh Kumar

Post by SheldrakeWriter »

If I sit on the floor, I can really get comfortable and wedge myself between things. Give it a try!
Latest Review: "A Newlywed's Adventures in Married Land" by Shweta Ganesh Kumar
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I haven't really had that issue. I can read anyway and not really have an issue. The only time I will fall asleep or get groggy while laying down is if I am already tired, reading will just relax me further until I drift off to sleep. I usually sleep better that way to. :)
Bfrisco
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bfrisco.html
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp

Post by Bfrisco »

I can really only read comfortably by sitting, preferably in a chair that allows me to recline, or by laying on my side and switching sides every once in a while.
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”