Do long books put you off reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Do long books put you off reading?

Post by SparklesonPages »

No, but they may get pushed back since I would want to dedicate enough time to getting through them.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

If I had a pile of books to read, I always tend to pick up the thicker tomes first. When I finally get bored of it, I pick up a quick read book to rejuvenate me enough to give me another wind to finish the thick book, repeat until the first book is complete.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

Not really...if the author has a good narrative style like GRR Martin then I wouldn't complain about the length.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

It depends on my mood. When I'm stressed, I usually go for easy laughs. Longer books are generally more character driven which ultimately leads to drama after a while as they gain depth and wars or other situations arise.
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

The length of the book doesn't matter to me as far as the story is intriguing. But it can be a bummer if I haven't read the prologue or if it doesn't spite my interest in it from the start.
-R
gldbaldwin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gldbaldwin »

No never. In fact, I will usually not buy a book unless it is a series since I appreciate a good, long and involved story. I've read 'Atlas Shrugged' a few times, and have read the 'Lord of the Rings; series at least three times. Robert Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' series has fourteen books. The most frustrating thing about this series was that it took Jordan so long between books, that when a new one came out a year or two later I had to reread the previous books to refresh my memory. Imagine my dismay when after the 11'th book I found out that Robert Jordan had passed away. Thank God that Mr. Jordan had made arrangements for the completion of the series by Brandon Sanderson.
Chantelvr1
Currently Reading: The Devil's Fool
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chantelvr1.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Chantelvr1 »

Reading long books doesn't put me off, but if the book isn't interesting enough or the storyline is boring, then I'm put off though :D
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

Long books don't put me off reading. They are the best! :D
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
mnmueller
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnmueller.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mnmueller »

I love series, so long books are not a problem. Unless I'm in need of something to lighten my mood, I don't usually worry about the length of a book at all. The only downside I can think of is that long books can be heavy and not exactly easy to cart around. These days I read at least half of my books on an eReader, so as long as I've got a digital format of the book that's not a problem.
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

depends on the genre and if the book is the first in a series!

if it's fantasy or sci fi, i'm a little wary- the first few pages better be very enticing, especially so if it's a series. but if it's a stand-a-lone book, then not so much.
grahase71
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grahase71.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by grahase71 »

If a book is really good (well written, holds my interest), then I love a hefty book. But too often I find that really long books tend to become tedious even for the author and when that happens, the storyline becomes dead in the water and a total waste of everyone's time. I think the longest book I ever remember reading (and this was many moons ago) was Trinity......read it all the way through and totally loved it.
SEG
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

Rest_In_Pieces wrote: 01 May 2011, 16:54 I have no issues with a lengthy book, as long as the writer uses that space well and doesn't make himself guilty of producing 'filler'. That's just wasting the reader's time, and is something I simply loathe. LOTR has been mentioned, and although I certaintly don't find it a bad book (in fact, I love it), it sometimes really loses sight of what's important, and destroys whatever dramatic momentum it had in some instances. The first book is the worst violater of this simple law for writing books. But hey, it's Tolkien, in the end it's the most fun I've ever had reading fantasy.
I agree. Lengthy books are not an issue (in fact, I love having a longer book that I can truly get lost in); the issue is if the author of said lengthy book loses sight of the plot and the point of the novel. If it is 500+ pages of rousing plot twists and dialogue and character interactions, then please send it my way. If it is 500+ pages where the author sends the characters on a pointless side quest or has the characters meet someone new every chapter that from there on never gets mentioned again, I would prefer not to read it.
Human314
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-human314.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Human314 »

I think longer books are okay to read as long as one takes breaks in between reading large sections.
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

It definitely depends on the book. If I'm browsing for something to read before bed then I look for short, I mean, <100 pages. But a long summer read? The heavier the better. Maybe I'll tackle War and Peace this summer :lol:
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

When it comes to detective story i wouldn't mind if it is long, i wanted to finish that in one sitting, i remember when i was in highschool i usually go to the library and barrow Nancy Drew detective books i really enjoyed reading then i never realize that it's time for my next class.
What goes around comes around

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”