What part of the most recent book you’ve read can you most relate to?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
tochicat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tochicat.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Icon What part of the most recent book you’ve read can you most relate to?

Post by tochicat »

I'm posting this topic to share the parts of books that have fixed themselves to me and what books have fixed themselves to others as well. I'd love to read your thoughts, please share.

The most memorable fragment of a book to me, is that paragraph or sentence or line that stuck a pin in your heart when you read. The part of a book that makes you think vividly, maybe even painfully of yourself or a person, place, thing in your life.

The most recently relatable for me was:

“I wonder what Grandmother would have done with such a husband? Answer: She would never have got mixed up with him in the first place. I suppose in a way we deserve the people we marry.”
Angle of Repose
Wallace Stegner

The idea Wallace suggests here that we deserve the people we marry, and the whole chapter that precedes it really struck home for me. If we deserve the people we marry then that says a lot not just about me but about everyone I've ever been in a relationship with. When I read this and thought of all my previous relationships I almost couldn't face analysing my personality and what parts about attract the people I involve myself with. I considered this not just on the level of romantic relationships but in my casual and close friendships as well.
Is there something about me I can change to determine the people I form bonds with? Or am I fated to attract a certain category of people for the rest of my life?
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I genuinely cannot think of what that would be. The most recent book that I have read was just adults that were extremely different from what I view myself when I become an adult.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Final Notice by Van Fleisher was the most recent book that I have read. Although, this was a fiction book it dealt or spoke about real-world events. Therefore, there was a lot for anyone living within the United States to be able to relate to.
Chelsea N. Hackett
chelhack
Currently Reading:

Post by chelhack »

Final Notice by Van Fleisher was the most recent book that I have read. Although, this was a fiction book it dealt or spoke about real-world events. Therefore, there was a lot for anyone living within the United States to be able to relate to.
Chelsea N. Hackett
chelhack
Currently Reading:

Post by chelhack »

Chelsea N. Hackett

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”