Organize your own Read-A-Long!

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: Organize your own Read-A-Long!

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 23 Mar 2019, 02:59
Gravy wrote: 23 Mar 2019, 02:56 Yes! Sorry! Been a little behind on interacting lately!

I'm game. Maybe it will pull me out of my little reading funk. :lol:
Great! :)
Reading funks are the worst! I bet this one will get you out of it! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Fifi_eve12 wrote: 23 Mar 2019, 08:44 I want to read "The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle" by Stuart Turton, will anyone read with me?
Is it the same as "The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle"? Have you started it yet? How is it? It is on my reading list, but the present tense writing deters me from starting it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Fifi_eve12
Currently Reading: The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Fifi_eve12 »

gali wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 02:18
Fifi_eve12 wrote: 23 Mar 2019, 08:44 I want to read "The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle" by Stuart Turton, will anyone read with me?
Is it the same as "The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle"? Have you started it yet? How is it? It is on my reading list, but the present tense writing deters me from starting it.
Yes, it is the same as the 7 1/2 deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. I have started it and I am finding that it is plentiful in description but still keeps me guessing throughout the book. The author reveals any information very gradually and, at the very beginning, you are told barely anything. I am enjoying it and I'm finding that each character has their own secrets. You get used to the present tense and I only found that it made the action more extreme.
gali

Post by gali »

Fifi_eve12 wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 02:58
Yes, it is the same as the 7 1/2 deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. I have started it and I am finding that it is plentiful in description but still keeps me guessing throughout the book. The author reveals any information very gradually and, at the very beginning, you are told barely anything. I am enjoying it and I'm finding that each character has their own secrets. You get used to the present tense and I only found that it made the action more extreme.
Ok, I will give it a chance. I can read it with you after finishing my current book, if you like.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Fifi_eve12
Currently Reading: The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Fifi_eve12 »

gali wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 04:20

Ok, I will give it a chance. I can read it with you after finishing my current book, if you like.
Yes please, that would be brilliant! :D
gali

Post by gali »

Fifi_eve12 wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 12:09
gali wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 04:20

Yes please, that would be brilliant! :D
Great! I moved your original post back to the Read-a-long forum. You can copy what you wrote here to the other thread. :tiphat:

I will probably start the book tomorrow. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 23 Mar 2019, 10:29
Gravy wrote: 23 Mar 2019, 02:56 Yes! Sorry! Been a little behind on interacting lately!

I'm game. Maybe it will pull me out of my little reading funk. :lol:
@hsimone when do you want to start "Before the Devil Breaks You" by Libba Bray? I finished my current book and want to start another. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 23:00

@hsimone when do you want to start "Before the Devil Breaks You" by Libba Bray? I finished my current book and want to start another. :)
@gali Hmm :eusa-think: Do you think we could start it the beginning of May? I have a backlog of books that I want to get through for this month.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 09:04

@gali Hmm :eusa-think: Do you think we could start it the beginning of May? I have a backlog of books that I want to get through for this month.
Fine with me. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 09:15
hsimone wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 09:04

Fine with me. :)
Cool, thank you! :D
Heidi

khaleesi-reads
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by khaleesi-reads »

Hiiii so I have no idea if this is the right place but I'm falling into a huge reading slump so thought I'd try and buddy read with someone.

I'm looking at reading The Priory of the Orange Tree for all of May and maybe have a chapter by chapter discussion of what's going on?

Let me know if you're interested.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

khaleesi-reads wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 08:46 Hiiii so I have no idea if this is the right place but I'm falling into a huge reading slump so thought I'd try and buddy read with someone.

I'm looking at reading The Priory of the Orange Tree for all of May and maybe have a chapter by chapter discussion of what's going on?

Let me know if you're interested.
I will add it to the first post.

(You may try checking who has the book in their 'want to read' shelf and tagging them in here if they're still active.) :tiphat:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I want to read The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater. Who is with me?
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

It is extremely important to include this feature, and I am glad that it does exist on the website. It is so important to be able to discuss the readings, and it may even help to write better reviews.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
gregs317
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

Hi, I'm planning to read 'A Man Called Ove', by Fredrik Backman. Will start it in about a week. If anyone wants to read-a-long, please let me know ASAP. Greg

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”