Organize your own Read-A-Long!

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Organize your own Read-A-Long!

Post by gali »

gregs317 wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 12:02
gali wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 22:27
Gravy wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 20:37

Yay (again)!

I'll open a thread when I finish my book. :D
Great! :)
Hi gali. Just curious - do you ever read nonfictions? Do you have anything on the horizon after you finish "The Twisted Ones"?
Sometimes, but I prefer fiction to non-fiction.

Nothing planned yet. What book did you have in mind?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gregs317
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

I don't know yet, just thought I'd see if you have anything lined up. I'm constantly looking for new books, so I will keep you in mind, in the future.
gali

Post by gali »

gregs317 wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 13:13 I don't know yet, just thought I'd see if you have anything lined up. I'm constantly looking for new books, so I will keep you in mind, in the future.
Oh. I have a few books I want to read such as: The 10,000 Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow, Chilling Effect by Valerie Valdes, Salvaged by Madeleine Roux, After the Flood by Kassandra Montag, The Institute by Stephen King, The Secret Commonwealth by Philip Pullman, to name a few.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

gregs317 wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 13:13 I don't know yet, just thought I'd see if you have anything lined up. I'm constantly looking for new books, so I will keep you in mind, in the future.
What kind of non-fiction do you read?

(Sorry, I know this was aimed at gali, but I'm really curious. :shifty: )

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

Gravy wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 21:31

No problem Gravy. This response will be for both you and gali. gali, I know you're not usually into non-fiction, which is fine, but there is a new one that has really grabbed my attention. It is the book called "Me", by Elton John. It looks really good - did you know that he once went disco dancing with princess Diana and queen Elizabeth ?!? lol

Anyway, if you or anyone here is interested, plz let me know. I wouldn't want to start until mid or late November. ttyl
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

gregs317 wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 12:39

No problem Gravy. This response will be for both you and gali. gali, I know you're not usually into non-fiction, which is fine, but there is a new one that has really grabbed my attention. It is the book called "Me", by Elton John. It looks really good - did you know that he once went disco dancing with princess Diana and queen Elizabeth ?!? lol

Anyway, if you or anyone here is interested, plz let me know. I wouldn't want to start until mid or late November. ttyl
I love memoirs, but celebrity memoirs aren't usually my thing (excepting my absolute favorite people/subjects/other factors that interest me).

This one doesn't really interest me (at least at the moment) but please let me know if there are any others you'd like to do a read-a-long of. :)

gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 22:24
gregs317 wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 12:39

I love memoirs, but celebrity memoirs aren't usually my thing (excepting my absolute favorite people/subjects/other factors that interest me).

This one doesn't really interest me (at least at the moment) but please let me know if there are any others you'd like to do a read-a-long of. :)
It isn't for me either. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

gali and Gravy, it's no problem. Maybe next time around :)
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

gregs317 wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 05:38 gali and Gravy, it's no problem. Maybe next time around :)
I look forward to it! (I've found I quite enjoy read-a-longs. :D)

gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 19:10
gregs317 wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 05:38 gali and Gravy, it's no problem. Maybe next time around :)
I look forward to it! (I've found I quite enjoy read-a-longs. :D)
Likewise! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Josh_V

Post by Josh_V »

I know it's a bit early yet, but these things can take time to get organized. Curious if anyone would be interested in doing a read-a-long for one, or several, of Charles Dickens Christmas stories (I say several as they are somewhat short). Ive read 3 of the 5 but would be happy to reread depending on what's selected. They do tend to be shorter, novellas typically I believe, so if we finish early we could always tackle a second.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Josh_V wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 20:00 I know it's a bit early yet, but these things can take time to get organized. Curious if anyone would be interested in doing a read-a-long for one, or several, of Charles Dickens Christmas stories (I say several as they are somewhat short). Ive read 3 of the 5 but would be happy to reread depending on what's selected. They do tend to be shorter, novellas typically I believe, so if we finish early we could always tackle a second.
I'm interested, but have to see if I can access them.

I'll try to check in the next day or so. :)

Josh_V

Post by Josh_V »

Sounds good. If E-books are your thing, there all available on Project Gutenberg for free.

For anyone not familiar, here are the stories in the series, all published in sequence from 1843 - 1848:
1. A Christmas Carol
2. The Chimes
3. The Cricket on the Hearth
4. The Battle of Life
5. The Haunted Man and the Ghosts Bargain

I've read the first three a couple years ago, I remember The Chimes being a bit confusing, but I really enjoyed A Christmas Carol and The Cricket on the Hearth. I will happily read them all again though.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Josh_V wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 06:26 Sounds good. If E-books are your thing, there all available on Project Gutenberg for free.

For anyone not familiar, here are the stories in the series, all published in sequence from 1843 - 1848:
1. A Christmas Carol
2. The Chimes
3. The Cricket on the Hearth
4. The Battle of Life
5. The Haunted Man and the Ghosts Bargain

I've read the first three a couple years ago, I remember The Chimes being a bit confusing, but I really enjoyed A Christmas Carol and The Cricket on the Hearth. I will happily read them all again though.
Sorry for the late reply. Holiday sneaked up on me.

I thought I might have them, but I don't, and ebooks aren't a viable option atm. I was looking into quickly grabbing a physical copy, but :laughing-rolling: (wrong time of year to try that!). :(

books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

I have just started The Winter Sisters by Tim Westover. If anyone wants to read this with me, feel free to reply here.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”