Books everyone loves that you hate

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Re: Books everyone loves that you hate

Post by Nisha Ward »

I'm adding my voice to the Fifty Shades faction, but also the third Hunger Hames book and the entirety of the Mortal Instruments series. I used to like them but now I don't.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

JoshuaLF89 wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 09:54 To be honest, I hated Harry Potter. I read the first one this year and had to force myself to finish it. Granted when it came out, I was working on Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.
See, The Eye of the World, Wheel of Time Book #1 is the book I hate that just about everyone around me loved. I tried reading it two different times, and never made it more than 100 pages into the book. I hate the way Jordan writes female characters, and I just couldn't get past it.

I did read all of the books in the Joe Abercombie First Law Trilogy, and think they were incredibly well written, but the way the series ended made me just hate it. The fact that there was no redeeming quality for any character, just felt like the author was flipping us all the bird.

I have not read any of the Song of Fire and Ice books by George RR Martin. For me, there is just no point. I know I don't like dark and dreary and everyone dies, etc. (See above my reaction to The First Law.) So while I have friends who LOVE the books and the show, I have never picked up a single book and really only watched the first season because Sean Bean.
naturalmama81
Currently Reading: Different
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naturalmama81.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by naturalmama81 »

Growing up, I read the Elsie Dinsmore books, which everyone raved about. Personally, I didn't care for them and felt like the character "Elsie" was much "too good to be true," even for a good little church girl like me.

I still don't get why Christian parents recommend this series so highly. I feel like the stories are riddled with performance-based ideals and holier-than-thou characters. I prefer for my own daughters to read something a little more real and inspiring.
Maralynx
Currently Reading: Castle in the Air
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maralynx.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maralynx »

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. I never understood the appeal of this book, and it seems that it runs in the family, as my mother, brother, and grandmother can't stand it either.
Maralynx
Currently Reading: Castle in the Air
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maralynx.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maralynx »

Many classics I had to read due to my courses, some extremely popular books that everyone is crazy about (Fifty Shades of Grey, The Twilight Series etc.) I also hate many books of so-called literary geniuses, probably because I can't relate in any way to the characters. It happens.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

Fifty Shades of Grey annoys me to no end. I finished the series hoping that it would improve but the writing style is so cringy at times!
Angi1220
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Angi1220 »

Just don't like Nora Roberts. Can't get into them, or Danielle Steel. No ty
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

The Lovely Bones. It was such a disappointment to me. :( :( :(
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

Angi1220 wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 13:13 Just don't like Nora Roberts. Can't get into them, or Danielle Steel. No ty
Same here. I call her "Bora Roberts" because she bores me. Danielle Steel is not my cup of tea either.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Facennagoss wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 05:11 I’m with everyone who has said Fifty Shades. I didn’t even make it to the end of the first book.
This book should be nominated as the most overrated book. :)
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Post by ErikaP13 »

pricklypurple wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 14:39 Fifty Shades of Grey. I know not everyone loves this, but enough people do to make me wonder.
Fifty Shades of Grey is the first book that popped into my head when I saw this post. It was a terrible book and I couldn't finish it. I don't understand why people were so enamored with it.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

I cannot believe I am saying this in "public" but I cannot, try as I may, make it through any of the Harry Potter books. I would say I'm not into fantasy, but I loved the Chronicles of Narnia...
Azariah Scott
Favorite Author: Azariah Scott
fav_author_id: 177689

Post by Azariah Scott »

Tamorie21 wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 16:07 Catcher in the Rye. Everyone talks about how amazing it is, but even while I was reading it, my mind was wiping my memory of it clean. I don't even remember it much but I do remember being very much irritated while reading it.
I love that book for so many different reasons. Mainly because the main character is funny and on point.

But when someone else doesn't like it it's cool. I don't go to defend books I like. There's just no way everyone will like the same thing. Just no way.

I do know if I were forced to read it during school I may not have liked it. I read Animal Farm by choice and I loved it, but if I was told I had to read that in high school, I would've hated it.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Azariah Scott wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 21:55
Tamorie21 wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 16:07 Catcher in the Rye. Everyone talks about how amazing it is, but even while I was reading it, my mind was wiping my memory of it clean. I don't even remember it much but I do remember being very much irritated while reading it.
I love that book for so many different reasons. Mainly because the main character is funny and on point.

But when someone else doesn't like it it's cool. I don't go to defend books I like. There's just no way everyone will like the same thing. Just no way.

I do know if I were forced to read it during school I may not have liked it. I read Animal Farm by choice and I loved it, but if I was told I had to read that in high school, I would've hated it.
You know, that might actually be the reason I hate it so much. I read it in high school for a class I absolutely detested, and that class might've also been a big factor. Also disliked Animal Farm (for the most part, wasn't too bad) because I read it in high school. Things I read recently in college didn't seem so bad for some reason. It's the high school curse, I guess :lol2: :lol2: Maybe I'll give Catcher in the Rye another try?
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Azariah Scott
Favorite Author: Azariah Scott
fav_author_id: 177689

Post by Azariah Scott »

Tamorie21 wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 02:00
Azariah Scott wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 21:55

You know, that might actually be the reason I hate it so much. I read it in high school for a class I absolutely detested, and that class might've also been a big factor. Also disliked Animal Farm (for the most part, wasn't too bad) because I read it in high school. Things I read recently in college didn't seem so bad for some reason. It's the high school curse, I guess :lol2: :lol2: Maybe I'll give Catcher in the Rye another try?
Haha.

Maybe. I'm trying to think of a book I couldn't read at all and then tried again later and liked it. For me if I don't like something within the first chapter I juts don't bother with it. I can't keep reading something I don't care for. If I had to read for school (which was rare because I was not in the advance classes that required that) I would most like like get spark notes or whatever for things I couldn't get through.

High Schoolers have a different mindset and so books don't appeal to them in the same way as college students or adults. I don't know why they pick certain books for high schoolers to read. They should just let them read whatever they want (within reason).

I loved reading in high school, but I wasn't into reading what a school would want me to read.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”