Books everyone loves that you hate

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Books everyone loves that you hate

Post by MsLisa »

Have you read any well-loved books that you hated? I don't think I have but I'm curious to know if others have.
nattydawa
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by nattydawa »

I read Beauty and the Beast i loved it but ma kid sister did not like it
JoshuaLF89
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JoshuaLF89 »

To be honest, I hated Harry Potter. I read the first one this year and had to force myself to finish it. Granted when it came out, I was working on Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Fifty Shades of Grey. I know not everyone loves this, but enough people do to make me wonder.
MikleoKrein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by MikleoKrein »

The Fifty Shades series and The Notebook.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Catcher in the Rye. Everyone talks about how amazing it is, but even while I was reading it, my mind was wiping my memory of it clean. I don't even remember it much but I do remember being very much irritated while reading it.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

Tamorie21 wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 16:07 Catcher in the Rye. Everyone talks about how amazing it is, but even while I was reading it, my mind was wiping my memory of it clean. I don't even remember it much but I do remember being very much irritated while reading it.
I'm with you on that. We read it freshman year of high school and I just couldn't get into it. As an adult, I'm surprised at how often people say they liked it. The biggest thing I remember about the novel was how annoying and whiny the main character was.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:

Post by Nanig83006 »

JoshuaLF89 wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 09:54 To be honest, I hated Harry Potter. I read the first one this year and had to force myself to finish it. Granted when it came out, I was working on Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.
This is always so surprising for me to hear from another reader. From your perspective, what don't you like about it? Some of the people I know who don't care for Harry Potter also don't like reading, either. So, I never took their disliking serious. But your response has me intrigued. Is it the story? The writing style? The hype?
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:

Post by Nanig83006 »

Captain Underpants. It's a children's book, I know, but as kids, my sister loved it and I thought it was the worst.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Nanig83006 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 11:55
Tamorie21 wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 16:07 Catcher in the Rye. Everyone talks about how amazing it is, but even while I was reading it, my mind was wiping my memory of it clean. I don't even remember it much but I do remember being very much irritated while reading it.
I'm with you on that. We read it freshman year of high school and I just couldn't get into it. As an adult, I'm surprised at how often people say they liked it. The biggest thing I remember about the novel was how annoying and whiny the main character was.
Haha yes! I read it in junior year of high school and I also thought the main character was obnoxious and that his vocabulary was limited to weak curse words. I can't even remember why it was called "Catcher in the Rye" and I'm thinking about rereading it so I can actually remember why I hate the book, and why it was irrelevant to me :lol2:
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
zoharis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198

Post by zoharis »

Fifty Shades of Grey.
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

The Alchemist by Coelho. Everyone around me sang the praises of that book, and I thought it was just meh.
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

The entire Twilight series back in high school. I also didn't enjoy Wuthering Heights as much as most of my AP English class seemed to.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Not hate exactly but I can never get into any book by Sarah Maas. (Please don't shoot me.)
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I don’t think that I have read one of these either, but there are other things like movies and tv shows that are like this.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”