Books everyone loves that you hate

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Re: Books everyone loves that you hate

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Azariah Scott wrote: โ†‘05 Jul 2019, 09:00
Tamorie21 wrote: โ†‘05 Jul 2019, 02:00
Azariah Scott wrote: โ†‘04 Jul 2019, 21:55

I love that book for so many different reasons. Mainly because the main character is funny and on point.

But when someone else doesn't like it it's cool. I don't go to defend books I like. There's just no way everyone will like the same thing. Just no way.

I do know if I were forced to read it during school I may not have liked it. I read Animal Farm by choice and I loved it, but if I was told I had to read that in high school, I would've hated it.
You know, that might actually be the reason I hate it so much. I read it in high school for a class I absolutely detested, and that class might've also been a big factor. Also disliked Animal Farm (for the most part, wasn't too bad) because I read it in high school. Things I read recently in college didn't seem so bad for some reason. It's the high school curse, I guess :lol2: :lol2: Maybe I'll give Catcher in the Rye another try?
Haha.

Maybe. I'm trying to think of a book I couldn't read at all and then tried again later and liked it. For me if I don't like something within the first chapter I juts don't bother with it. I can't keep reading something I don't care for. If I had to read for school (which was rare because I was not in the advance classes that required that) I would most like like get spark notes or whatever for things I couldn't get through.

High Schoolers have a different mindset and so books don't appeal to them in the same way as college students or adults. I don't know why they pick certain books for high schoolers to read. They should just let them read whatever they want (within reason).

I loved reading in high school, but I wasn't into reading what a school would want me to read.
You're strong, I've never tried to reread a book I didn't like the first time LOL
I tend to give books 1 to 3 chapters, but usually if it takes 3 chapters to truly capture me, chances are I won't even finish it. I was in those advanced classes and high school reading just didn't help me accomplish anything really, you're totally right about the high school vs college student mindset. Failed both English AP exams, but later "excelled" in essays and exams in college. Strange? Haha
Only few books I actually liked reading and read all the way through in hs were Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison, Brain in Fire (memoir) by Susannah Callahan, and Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. Otherwise, nope! I agree with you, I think students should be able to read whatever as long as they're reading. Between reading Catcher in the Rye for a project, I read Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell and felt crazy refreshed!
You should pass your suggestion on to high school teachers asap :lol2:
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. ๐Ÿ”ฅ
Azariah Scott
Favorite Author: Azariah Scott
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 177689

Post by Azariah Scott »

Tamorie21 wrote: โ†‘05 Jul 2019, 12:52
Tamorie21 wrote: โ†‘05 Jul 2019, 02:00

You know, that might actually be the reason I hate it so much. I read it in high school for a class I absolutely detested, and that class might've also been a big factor. Also disliked Animal Farm (for the most part, wasn't too bad) because I read it in high school. Things I read recently in college didn't seem so bad for some reason. It's the high school curse, I guess :lol2: :lol2: Maybe I'll give Catcher in the Rye another try?
Haha.

Maybe. I'm trying to think of a book I couldn't read at all and then tried again later and liked it. For me if I don't like something within the first chapter I juts don't bother with it. I can't keep reading something I don't care for. If I had to read for school (which was rare because I was not in the advance classes that required that) I would most like like get spark notes or whatever for things I couldn't get through.

High Schoolers have a different mindset and so books don't appeal to them in the same way as college students or adults. I don't know why they pick certain books for high schoolers to read. They should just let them read whatever they want (within reason).

I loved reading in high school, but I wasn't into reading what a school would want me to read.
You're strong, I've never tried to reread a book I didn't like the first time LOL
I tend to give books 1 to 3 chapters, but usually if it takes 3 chapters to truly capture me, chances are I won't even finish it. I was in those advanced classes and high school reading just didn't help me accomplish anything really, you're totally right about the high school vs college student mindset. Failed both English AP exams, but later "excelled" in essays and exams in college. Strange? Haha
Only few books I actually liked reading and read all the way through in hs were Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison, Brain in Fire (memoir) by Susannah Callahan, and Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. Otherwise, nope! I agree with you, I think students should be able to read whatever as long as they're reading. Between reading Catcher in the Rye for a project, I read Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell and felt crazy refreshed!
I would love to put together an English curriculum. It would be fun.

In high school I did really like Shakespeare. I think I liked all of his stuff. Maybe not the King one. Taming of the Shrew, Romeo and Juliet, and Hamlet. I still like Shakespeare. I liked the creativeness of it. The clever wordplay.

Yeah, I was much better with essays in college. I was weird, I liked writing essays period because I liked writing that much. It didn't matter what the essay was about. I enjoyed it more because I had a teacher that really liked how I wrote and she enjoyed reading what I wrote. Which was a first for me.

I haven't attempted to reread Call of the Wild. I tried one time when I was a teen and was like...NOPE. And haven't tried again.

If you gave teens a choice to read whatever kind of book (or comic book) they wanted it would create interest in reading and it would encourage them to think more. The teacher would then have to create a set of questions that were generic and interesting that would fit with any story (for the most part). This way you trust they're gonna read what they chose. Why wouldn't they if they chose it? Then the papers would be more in depth and written with care.

And interestingly maybe the teacher would learn something about a book they hadn't read.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Azariah Scott wrote: โ†‘05 Jul 2019, 13:16

Haha.

In high school I did really like Shakespeare. I think I liked all of his stuff. Maybe not the King one. Taming of the Shrew, Romeo and Juliet, and Hamlet. I still like Shakespeare. I liked the creativeness of it. The clever wordplay.

Yeah, I was much better with essays in college. I was weird, I liked writing essays period because I liked writing that much. It didn't matter what the essay was about. I enjoyed it more because I had a teacher that really liked how I wrote and she enjoyed reading what I wrote. Which was a first for me.

I haven't attempted to reread Call of the Wild. I tried one time when I was a teen and was like...NOPE. And haven't tried again.

If you gave teens a choice to read whatever kind of book (or comic book) they wanted it would create interest in reading and it would encourage them to think more. The teacher would then have to create a set of questions that were generic and interesting that would fit with any story (for the most part). This way you trust they're gonna read what they chose. Why wouldn't they if they chose it? Then the papers would be more in depth and written with care.

And interestingly maybe the teacher would learn something about a book they hadn't read.
Goodness, you even have good logic behind an English curriculum! I also think that would be best. Back in 6th grade, our reading projects consisted of picking a random book (6th grade level or higher), getting it approved, and then doing a report about it. Why don't high schools replicate this? I feel like it was refreshing reading things aside from assigned texts like Maniac Magee, etc.

Shakespeare in my high school was Romeo and Juliet over and over again until senior year when we actually read The Merchant of Venice, King Lear, & 12th Night. Read Hamlet and others in college. I learned to appreciate Shakespeare in college. I think maybe you had the right teachers for these things. High school was all about test taking, not so much the appreciation of anything (wasn't fun learning much of anything haha).

Looks like I'll steer clear of Call of the Wild :lol2: I've never heard of it 'till now, anyway.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. ๐Ÿ”ฅ
Azariah Scott

Post by Azariah Scott »

Tamorie21 wrote: โ†‘05 Jul 2019, 23:21

Goodness, you even have good logic behind an English curriculum! I also think that would be best. Back in 6th grade, our reading projects consisted of picking a random book (6th grade level or higher), getting it approved, and then doing a report about it. Why don't high schools replicate this? I feel like it was refreshing reading things aside from assigned texts like Maniac Magee, etc.

Shakespeare in my high school was Romeo and Juliet over and over again until senior year when we actually read The Merchant of Venice, King Lear, & 12th Night. Read Hamlet and others in college. I learned to appreciate Shakespeare in college. I think maybe you had the right teachers for these things. High school was all about test taking, not so much the appreciation of anything (wasn't fun learning much of anything haha).

Looks like I'll steer clear of Call of the Wild :lol2: I've never heard of it 'till now, anyway.
There are those that love Call of The Wild. I'm not one of them.

You are right about high school just being about doing tests (in America for sure) and less about enjoying things. They instill nervousness in teens about being an adult.

I think it would be fun to do a creative writing/reading class. All the students pick their own book. One of the projects would be rewriting a few pages in the book their reading in their own style. It isn't to improve on the story so much as to show a different way of writing the same scene. It's like song covers except for writing.

I had mostly good English teachers that cared about teaching things like that than just throwing projects our way.

I had trouble learning to read. My mother had to push me through my tears of frustration to get me to read. I wanted to give up. And when I finally understood why reading was awesome I wouldn't stop reading. My 4th grade teacher had to tell me to put a book down and pay attention to what we were doing. And that's what I do most mornings is read a little bit. Not necessarily books, but news articles and different things I find interesting. Reading is the best gift my mother ever gave me.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

You are right about high school just being about doing tests (in America for sure) and less about enjoying things. They instill nervousness in teens about being an adult.

I think it would be fun to do a creative writing/reading class. All the students pick their own book. One of the projects would be rewriting a few pages in the book their reading in their own style. It isn't to improve on the story so much as to show a different way of writing the same scene. It's like song covers except for writing.

I had mostly good English teachers that cared about teaching things like that than just throwing projects our way.

I had trouble learning to read. My mother had to push me through my tears of frustration to get me to read. I wanted to give up. And when I finally understood why reading was awesome I wouldn't stop reading. My 4th grade teacher had to tell me to put a book down and pay attention to what we were doing. And that's what I do most mornings is read a little bit. Not necessarily books, but news articles and different things I find interesting. Reading is the best gift my mother ever gave me.
I totally understand you about realizing that books are amazing and not being able to put it down. We would've been great friends in elementary school! haha My favorite time of year was Nevada Reading Week -- we'd have an hour or two just to silent read. My peers hated it so much, but I was also so game to read until the end of the school day (never allowed).

Your creative writing project plan sounds amazing, and totally plausible! In my creative writing class, imitation (and even the blatant copying of a whole couple paragraphs of text) was a big thing. Choosing a few pages of your own like you say sounds way more fun.

I try to avoid the news. Well, the full articles. I tend to wake up and scroll through headlines, then I choose which ones seem 'safe' to click on (won't upset me like news usually does :roll: ).
Azariah Scott

Post by Azariah Scott »

Tamorie21 wrote: โ†‘07 Jul 2019, 04:26

I totally understand you about realizing that books are amazing and not being able to put it down. We would've been great friends in elementary school! haha My favorite time of year was Nevada Reading Week -- we'd have an hour or two just to silent read. My peers hated it so much, but I was also so game to read until the end of the school day (never allowed).

Your creative writing project plan sounds amazing, and totally plausible! In my creative writing class, imitation (and even the blatant copying of a whole couple paragraphs of text) was a big thing. Choosing a few pages of your own like you say sounds way more fun.

I try to avoid the news. Well, the full articles. I tend to wake up and scroll through headlines, then I choose which ones seem 'safe' to click on (won't upset me like news usually does :roll: ).
Yeah, yeah. Pick news that will make you feel good. Headline reading is safe.

Silent reading would be a fun time. We would trade our favorite books and talk after we read through them. haha.
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

I don't know how popular this author is but I'm not a Chris Bohjalian fan. I read his novel "The Night Strangers" and I was definitely not impressed. I'll never read another book of his again after that one.
Jezebelle84
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 2298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jezebelle84.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Jezebelle84 »

Twilight. I refuse to read 50 Shades of Grey.

I didn't hate but I really didn't like it either: The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. As a fantasy lover, I suppose I should love these books but Tolkein's writing style just doesn't do it for me.
Etiquette1
Currently Reading: Knight of the Black Rose (Ravenloft Books)
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etiquette1.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Etiquette1 »

I never saw the allure of Twilight. When it was released I was a bit younger and gave it a shot. It was a difficult read for me. I don't hate it but I definitely don't like it. I am a steadfast believer that vampires do not sparkle!
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

There have been a few series like this, but the most popular one that I disliked greatly was Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.
~Roxie~
ElizaPeaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ElizaPeaks »

Admittedly, I hated the Hunger Games series. It was probably because I started it so soon after another book, and so many friends had hyped it up, that I thought it would have contained more compelling imagery and stronger characters. I wouldn't mind to giving it another go, though.
SavannahJones
Currently Reading: I will make of thee a great nation
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannahjones.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SavannahJones »

I really hate all of John Greene books, but all of my friends pretty much worship the ground he walks upon. Also Sword Art Online; I'm just not a big fan. (But I can't say that around some of my friends or they go for my throat!)
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Not many. I usually like books that also happen to be widely acclaimed. But yes, there are a few books where I fail to see what so many people liked about the book.
germanis
Currently Reading: the black prisim
Bookshelf Size: 1611
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-germanis.html
Latest Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by germanis »

Lord of the Rings. I am a huge fan of fantasy and have read The Hobbit and really enjoyed it but to this day I cannot finish Lord of the Rings. I zone out around the Tom Bombadil part....

I loved the movies and read all sorts of fantasy so I'm at a loss to explain it.
prowlingivy
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prowlingivy.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by prowlingivy »

Total eclipse,
I can't quite remember the author... reading it was quite tiresome but all of my highschool peers thought it was a bomb.

Return to โ€œGeneral Book & Reading Discussionโ€