Bookmarks

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
StephenKingman
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Bookmarks

Post by StephenKingman »

What do you use as a bookmark? I have one i got from Waterstones in England and it just features a cop of coffee and some biscuits with the message "Books can take you anywhere".

And you? :D
You only live once.....so live!
GotThatSwing

Post by GotThatSwing »

I just use anyhing that I have at hand. I don't use bookmarks becasue I always loose them :?

I like the message on yours. It is so true :)
Lolita. Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth.
Tip the Bottle

Post by Tip the Bottle »

I have on occasion purchased bookmarks then used them and lost em. So for the most part odd pieces of paper, bank slips, post-it notes, gum wrappers, paper clips and dog eared pages make up my arsenal of book marks. I occasionally remember the page.
El_greco

Post by El_greco »

i use the ordinary paper bookmarks.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I'm a great fan of the paperclip but I also use post it notes, receipts, and I've even been know to turn down the page (sorry) :oops:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Tip the Bottle

Post by Tip the Bottle »

Paper clips are great, not only do they mark the page but you could also mark the paragraph you stopped reading.
Fran

Post by Fran »

Tip the Bottle wrote:Paper clips are great, not only do they mark the page but you could also mark the paragraph you stopped reading.
Exactly ... the old paper clip deserves proper recognition :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

I used to use whatever scrap piece of paper I could find, but I just recently purchased one that has a cat charm on the end that I just love!!! So now I use it only.
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
Aspasia

Post by Aspasia »

I was using receipts and odd scraps lying around, but I just bought one off of Etsy that I really like and am going to make more of an effort to use an actual bookmark. Now I just need to not lose it...another bad habit of mine.

Jp1978

Post by Jp1978 »

I always lose them so I just memorize the page I'm on.
Fran

Post by Fran »

Jp1978 wrote:I always lose them so I just memorize the page I'm on.
Are you serious? :roll:
SteveSo

Post by SteveSo »

I've got a little collection of bookmarks, but I don't really like using any of them, so it's small blank pieces of paper folded in half. If I lose one of them, I've still got about 150 to spare. I also used to remember the page and I do that when I have a lot of time for reading and not too many distractions, even though forgetting is less the problem than making the effort to look at the page number in the first place.
So during schooltime, it's the paper slips :)
Stinkin' Fascist
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones

Post by Stinkin' Fascist »

I myself am a page number memory person, almost never fails me, and on the occasion that it does, I randomly flip a chunk and somehow I'm there haha.
But when I don't look at the page number or decide to use a book marker, I picked up a habit from a friend to grab a little scrap of paper, whatever you prefer trash or post it, and to write the beginning of the paragraph so you know what exact spot. I also put a mark on the sheet, or take note of a crinkle or spot on one side of my scrap and face it against the page i'm on.
( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ♥ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Stinkin' Fascist wrote:I myself am a page number memory person, almost never fails me, and on the occasion that it does, I randomly flip a chunk and somehow I'm there haha.
But when I don't look at the page number or decide to use a book marker, I picked up a habit from a friend to grab a little scrap of paper, whatever you prefer trash or post it, and to write the beginning of the paragraph so you know what exact spot. I also put a mark on the sheet, or take note of a crinkle or spot on one side of my scrap and face it against the page i'm on.
That sounds like an awful lot of hassle compared to just sticking a bookmark in a page!
You only live once.....so live!
SteveSo

Post by SteveSo »

I usually just read the whole page again, even though I read into it a bit before stopping to read. That way I remember what just happened more easily and find my way back into the book more quickly.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”