Book you never finished

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
gloriana
Bookshelf Size: 0

Book you never finished

Post by gloriana »

Do you have a book you never got to the end of for whatever reason?
I never finished The Bridges of Madison County, it bored me to tears and just recently could not continue with Charlotte Gray. It was too slow and dull. I hate not finishing books to the end, but these two had to go!
Lennoc

Post by Lennoc »

War and Peace. I've started it several times. It is unusual for me not to finish a book but that one I just can't seem to get through.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

gloriana wrote:Do you have a book you never got to the end of for whatever reason?
I never finished The Bridges of Madison County, it bored me to tears and just recently could not continue with Charlotte Gray. It was too slow and dull. I hate not finishing books to the end, but these two had to go!
I loved Charlotte Gray ... IMO a book to be read slowly & savored for the beauty of the writing rather than rushed through to get to the ending. But then I love Sebastian Faulks books and I think I've probably read everything he's written.
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

I agree with Bridges of Madison County... i couldnt get through that if my life depended on it.

It took me forever to finish A Clockwork Orange mostly because of the slang he created... but i did eventually finish it and adore it.

I cannot for the life of me finish Lily of the Valley. I've tried three times, and will continue to try but i dont see an end in sight.
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
Fran

Post by Fran »

laci_baby wrote:I agree with Bridges of Madison County... i couldnt get through that if my life depended on it.

It took me forever to finish A Clockwork Orange mostly because of the slang he created... but i did eventually finish it and adore it.

I cannot for the life of me finish Lily of the Valley. I've tried three times, and will continue to try but i dont see an end in sight.
Despite repeated efforts I cannot figure A Clockwork Orange ... I finished it but I still have no idea what it was about - guess I'm just not the 'target audience'. Another book that failed to impact me was The Catcher in the Rye ... I just found him to be a most annoying pain in the ass.
Shocking I know ... two 'cult' books that just left me cold.
laci_baby

Post by laci_baby »

On A Clockwork Orange i cheated and watched the movie first. Helps you understand whats actually happening so when you read the book you get it better.
I agree with you on Catcher in the Rye. He was ennoying. It was simple enough to understand, but i didnt understand the big "tada" of the book.
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Fran wrote:
laci_baby wrote:I agree with Bridges of Madison County... i couldnt get through that if my life depended on it.

Despite repeated efforts I cannot figure A Clockwork Orange ... I finished it but I still have no idea what it was about - guess I'm just not the 'target audience'. Another book that failed to impact me was The Catcher in the Rye ... I just found him to be a most annoying pain in the ass.
I found A Clockwork Orange hard going to read but actually quite funny as the book progressed, especially with the phrases and the way the gang members spoke to each other, stuff like "I punched her real horror-like in the puss", that stuff had me crying with laughter.

The message? Dont quote me but i think its to do with reforming from a life of crime, however it is Kubrick we are talking about so it could be something different altogether. :(
You only live once.....so live!
PaGuy

Post by PaGuy »

The Gathering by Anne Enright. I just could not finish this book. Got about one-third of the way through and put it away.
Stacytimber

Post by Stacytimber »

I am preparing IIT exam, Any one can suggest me where i can get the last exam papers
Fran

Post by Fran »

PaGuy wrote:The Gathering by Anne Enright. I just could not finish this book. Got about one-third of the way through and put it away.
I finished it all right but I fail to see why it got such positive reviews ... didn't especially enjoy it at all.
Edana

Post by Edana »

The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George - long book, small print. 17 months and counting since last picked up.
bobjuck

Post by bobjuck »

Border Town by Shen congwen

Knew this book from my friends and had got the book for more than 2 years. I just can't finish it, i do like the book, it got a really amazing start, beautiful Chinese town, peaceful life and pure love between teenagers. But maybe i knew it got a tagic ending so i daren't to read it. I just left it on the shelf, maybe someday i'll finish it.
laci_baby

Post by laci_baby »

StephenKingman wrote:
Fran wrote:

I found A Clockwork Orange hard going to read but actually quite funny as the book progressed, especially with the phrases and the way the gang members spoke to each other, stuff like "I punched her real horror-like in the puss", that stuff had me crying with laughter.

The message? Dont quote me but i think its to do with reforming from a life of crime, however it is Kubrick we are talking about so it could be something different altogether. :(

Yea... once you get use to it the books actually (sadistically) funny.
I love Clockwork Orange... it's really amazing how anyone thought of that. True classic.
BambiA93

Post by BambiA93 »

I thought Love in the Time of Cholera was awful, thus I never finished it. Sometimes you don't like the main character, sometimes you might even hate the main character, but you can't stop reading about them because they're interesting. The main character in this book just grossed me out. I couldn't stand him and his million escapades.
Browsers

Post by Browsers »

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint.

Ironically, I was actually enjoying it. It's still lying around somewhere...just didn't grab me. But now I've started War & Peace, so it could be a while!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”