Do you buy your books used or new?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kyle22
Bookshelf Size: 0

Do you buy your books used or new?

Post by Kyle22 »

Do you buy your books used or new? Do you mind getting used books? Would you ever give a used book as a gift?
awelker

Post by awelker »

I really don't mind used books. I actually prefer them. Not only are they cheaper, they have history too.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
callalilly

Post by callalilly »

I prefer either. I buy a lot from half.com or amazon used. New ones are just so expensive sometimes.
AstonWest

Post by AstonWest »

I buy mine new, but remaindered...
nerdgirlNV

Post by nerdgirlNV »

I buy books.. new, used, garage sales, used book stores. It's great fun to see what ends up in the thrift stores... 10 books for a buck - I'm there.

Of course, I'm also always at the new bookstore and amazon. =)
babypinkcandygirl

Post by babypinkcandygirl »

i love old books but i buy new books if i really love the author. although i realised recently they tend to be mainly non-fiction as i only re-read classics and really good novels. i love scouting round old book shops, its the only kind of shopping i really enjoy :D wouldnt that be a perfect first date? or is that just wishful thinking!
what's your top ten...?
Frozeninside

Post by Frozeninside »

Both actually. I prefer used I can get more for my $ and it's easier to find out of print things used.
booklover85

Post by booklover85 »

I don't care, either way is fine with me. I prefer used books because they are cheaper, but the used book store that was near my house moved. I tend to go to the library more now because of the fact that a trade paperback costs about $14.
callalilly

Post by callalilly »

I find that if I keep it on my shelf and if I liked it I can get the kids that I work with to read them as well. Sometimes I am a freak about getting other people reading! :)
Hoops4me2

Post by Hoops4me2 »

I tend to buy paper backs new. I will buy hardbacks used or on sale. I also buy books on ebay.
Karen

Post by Karen »

I buy either. It depends on what I'm looking for. Sometimes I can only get a new book. With a very expensive book, a used book in good condition is always a good choice. Then there are vintage books, that are out of print, that I find in antique stores. If they look really good to read, I'll buy them.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I like both. There is something delicious about a brand new book, all crisp and clean. But also, a loved book is special too.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Jillian

Post by Jillian »

usually new some old classics used
Midge

Post by Midge »

I went through a spell of buying used books, but that shop closed down. So I mainly buy new now. Also there's nothing like opening up a new book.
knightss

Post by knightss »

I have new and used books.

Used books have a certain history to them =)
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”