do you still go to library for a book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

do you still go to library for a book

Post by Snowhite189 »

Nowadays when you wanted a particular book, you visit online store to order and it will come right at your doorstep in an instant or if you have time you just go to bookstore to buy i wanna know does anyone of you still doing the old ways of going to the library to borrow books?
What goes around comes around
Bookman1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bookman1 »

Yes I do I live there it's my favorite place to be
gvstearns3
Currently Reading:

Post by gvstearns3 »

I love going to libraries and used book stores. Something about the hunt for a good book that still excites me. On a trip to the UK I found this town, Hay on Wye, which is a historic bookstore town and spent hours sitting on the floor of many shops looking for unique finds. Don't get me wrong. I love the amazon kindle idea of instant gratification but a part of me will always unleash the quiet little girl that loves hiding in the corner of a library with a good book.
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

Nowadays I live in Latvia, so it's hard to get English books in libraries anyway, but even when I lived in the UK, I didn't really bother with them.
jennawash
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by jennawash »

My kids and I still visit the library, but it's to use a study room. They will sometimes ask to check out a book, which I allow, but as for me, it's been years since I've read a "real" hand held book that isn't delivered from my Amazon Kindle.
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

Yes I most certainly do still use the public library system! As a matter of fact, thank you for reminding me! I have a whole tote bag to read! I especially like to borrow magazines. That way, I don't have to fork up money in the check-out line at the grocery store. Cookbooks are also what I like to borrow, especially for crockpots. My library also has a coupon bin. People give and take coupons. I don't need to buy a Sunday news circular. I really don't ever foresee the library closing shop any time soon.
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

The best place to get lost in other worlds is the library. It’s quiet and no one interrupts you! I like to pick a section and challenge myself to at least skim my way through it. There are a lot of hidden treasures there I might not otherwise pick up!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I use the library for newly published books exclusively.

In many ways books are like movie DVDs. Once you have read it why would you want to read it again soon? I admit there may be reasons why you'd like to read one section of a book again either because you are confused about how you originally interpreted something or because you just want to read it because you enjoyed that part, but speaking from personal experience I usually read a book only once unless it is an exceptionally good book and even then I might not read it again until years have passed. So why buy it?

I own over 3000 very good books, but almost all of them were purchased FAR below retail price from garage sales and book fairs. For instance, I remember once getting a whole shopping cart full of personally selected books from a book fair for 5 dollars; a mint condition set of Britannica for $80; and the entire Great Books set (also from Britannica and in mint condition) for about $60. These last two sets of books retailed for $2500 new when first published by Britannica. Many other classic, hard bound, books came from used bookstores or from the "for sale" table at the local libraries. Another example: I purchased a first edition, mint condition copy of The Hunger Games from the library for a half dollar, and a first edition copy of First Blood (from which all the "Rambo" movies were made), and Fail-Safe for about 25 cents each.

When someone recommends a book to me or I see a book that has been hyped up I always pick it up at the library. It is very rare that I read a book I've gotten from the library that I want to own to read again later. It happens, but very, very rarely, and if I do want to read it again I can usually get it from the library again or get a very low-priced used copy from Amazon. This is a far cheaper and efficient method than owning each book purchased at retail price.

/
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I don't rule it out. I don't make a special trip but if I'm there to make copies or use their computers I will sometimes check out some books. I will rarely check out an old bestseller, though, because I'd rather have a new bestseller. If I check out a book it will be a business or hobby type.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

Yes, I do love getting bargain books at the library's for sale section and especially yard sales! Speaking of yard sales, almost that time of year again!
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
djknott1
Favorite Book: Ceremony of the Innocent
Currently Reading: The Widow of the South
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djknott1.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by djknott1 »

Yes, I absolutely adore libraries! I admit it may not always be to check books out but to sometimes use the other services offered. If I have research to do, there is no better place. I would love to live in a library!
tcastillo
Currently Reading: Before We Were Yours
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcastillo.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by tcastillo »

Now that my children are grown and out of the house I almost never go to the library anymore. I really enjoy reading on my phone so almost all of my books are downloaded now. I get ebooks from my public library, but even that is on my phone. After reading these posts I am feeling a bit nostalgic though...a trip to the library will probably happen this week-end!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
apwaldrop
Currently Reading: The Diary of a snoopy cat
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by apwaldrop »

Yes, absolutely. I adore my local public library. While I was in college last year I would go to the library to get books to fill in the gaps of time I would have in between assignments. I also take advantage of the library's website to reserve books and have them put on hold so that I have new material on a pretty constant basis. I also still get my children books from there.
aycealxs
Currently Reading: Between the Lines There Lies a Story of Me
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by aycealxs »

Actually, I went to the library last week to borrow a book I want to read. It was a book about one's emotions. I've been dying to read books again but I haven't found the time to visit the school library. I don't want to read through the use of gadgets because it doesn't give the same feeling as books do.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I love the feel of a library or a book store. But honestly, now-a-days I mostly search online libraries and download books from them. The last time I visited a book shop was like a few months ago, and while that experience absolutely thrills me, most of the time I simply prefer to browse books online. In fact that is a favourite hobby of me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”