do you still go to library for a book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Re: do you still go to library for a book

Post by strawberrysab »

As much as I do most of the reading on the phone, I opt for paperback for my favorite writers. So yes, I still visit libraries, sometimes to buy, sometimes just to look at all the covers and wait for the perfect one to scream "Buy me!"
Berry :wine:
Helga_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Helga_ »

Visiting libraries sometimes lifts my spirits when I feel low! And I gotta take full advantage of all these city libraries cuz I do pay my taxes (haha). Plus, it's nice to see people doing their own reading and feel a sense of comradery. You know, nowadays reading is sometimes considered as one of hobbies for those who "have no life." Some people obviously never check out their local libraries :roll: I don't really enjoy staying there, though. Kinda stuffy and too quiet for my taste.
Cheska Fule
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Cheska Fule »

I only go to our library to borrow educational books, because usually, the interesting books or novels I'm looking for cannot be found in our local libraries.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

Sometimes I like to go to the library. Its still less expensive and it's just a place that I like being.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I've got a home library of well over 3,000 books of classic literature, art, history, philosophy, and many other subjects. I am not real big on contemporary literature since there are still so many classics (both fiction and nonfiction) I have not read, so, for example, I am now reading The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon which I have meant to read for literally decades.

I do visit the library for the odd new book which has been recommended to me or to borrow videos, and I value my local library tremendously for many reasons, but most of my reading material comes from my own bookcases the contents of which have been collected over a very long period of time.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I do. I love our local library. It is a hive of activity and everyone seems to be smiling a lot.
Shruti_59

Post by Shruti_59 »

I prefer going to book stores rather than going to the libraries. There is something about the book store the smell of books be it old or new which is very satisfying and also when you turn the page of your new books.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I agree with DATo. I don't normally care to buy books. My library has 2 electronic systems to borrow e-books and if there is something I can't find on the e-library then I will go borrow the hard copy of it. I am about 95% digital now with my reading. I do enjoy going to the library when they have used book sales though. It's usually only 50 cents or $1 per book and it supports the library.
Ronaponka

Post by Ronaponka »

Yes i still want to go borrow books at the library because some books in there might have the answers that youre looking and its not present in the internet . and books there really mean it and sometimes i find books there interesting.
RabidFox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by RabidFox »

I don't normally check out books at a library. I will check out films, but not books. My problem with the library is that you have a due date. When I sit down to read something, I like to have control of when I am going to read it. When borrowing a book, control is taken away and I have no choice but to try to read the book as quickly as possible. That can be very difficult when you do a lot of other things too. I mean, I've always read a lot, however, it's so much more psychologically comfortable to know that you have control of the book. Especially since novels can be pretty long and you have to make sure you spend so much time everyday on the book. Otherwise, you quickly run out of days.

My alternative is to actually purchase the book in used condition. It's easier on me that way.

But the library can still be a fun place to explore.
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by khusnick »

I go to the library whenever I can. I don't have the money or the space to buy books as much as I would like to, so the library really helps out with that. Plus, the library is two gorgeous buildings filled with more books than I could ever dream of reading. I love browsing the shelves and knowing everything I look at is available for me to read for free.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I don't go to libraries nearly as much as I used to as a young kid. I do go every once in awhile for the nostalgia, but I find it more difficult to do these days with the convenience of online shopping.
f-callisaya
Favorite Book: The Fellowship of the Ring
Currently Reading: Blood of the Prophets
Bookshelf Size: 1546
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by f-callisaya »

My local library's collection is terrible for what I want to read but participates in a regional system that I often request from. Two years ago I would have had to say "not really", but since the end of last year most of my books have come through my local library if not directly from it.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Yes. I love hunting through crinkled spines.
:::sniffs at the tablet:::
Just not the same.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Absolutely. Since I can't really afford to buy books, the library is my primary source of reading material. I also borrow ebooks from the library, which doesn't require an actual visit to the place of course. But I attend a book club at my local library branch and also check out DVDs frequently, so I'd say I'm in the building at least once a week.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”