When you have kids are you going to make them read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: When you have kids are you going to make them read?

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I have three kids, and I don't "force" them to read. I read in front of them all of the time, and I read to them. I think that showing them how much I enjoy reading will inspire them to pick up a book. The key is finding a genre or author that they like. If you force your kids to read, they will think it is a chore or punishment.
wendy h25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by wendy h25 »

No, because I wouldn't want to force my kids to do something that they dread to do. Besides, there are a lot of other extracurricular activities they can partake in like playing an instrument or playing a sport. My parents never forced me to do anything, and it just so happened that I liked reading :techie-studyinggray: so I am probably going to follow my parent's example.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

Make them? No. It's counterproductive, I feel. Encourage them to? Absolutely
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Of course I will knowing what books has done to my life. Books have changed my life a great deal and I can't wait to train my kids at their tender age on how to read books and the importance of reading books. I pray and hope that it works perfectly as I wish.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

In future when I'll have kids, I'll be overjoyed if they read but, if they do not then I don't think forcing them will make any good.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I guess? Even if it's not an actual novel, there are other media that involves reading that could be useful like comics, text-based games, etc.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

It's difficult to claim that I will make them read but I just pray they be like mum because I would really wish they read
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

You don’t have to make your children read. Read aloud to them from day one and they will fall in love with reading on their own! I started with the rhyming Dr. Seuss books with my kids. Once they discover the worlds books open they will be hooked. As a K-1 teacher I have to be a reading advocate! It teaches so many skills, READ with your kids!
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

I won't have to make them read because reading is in my genes. My mum was an avid reader.and when the time was right I became a reader too.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

I was always encouraged to read but never forced. My parents were both big readers, always happy to buy me a book instead of a toy, and quietly encourage my habit. I would like to think I would do the same and hopefully, they would find a genre that speaks to them. From what I've experienced, once you get the reading bug it never really goes away :)
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I don't plan on having kids, but if I did, I would probably read them stories when they're young, leave some good children's books laying around, and see what happens. If they pick up the books and enjoy them, good. If they don't... well, I will.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I would never force my kid to read. I will allow them to pursue their interests and recognize that they may not love it as much as me. However, I will read to them when they are younger, and I will allow them to read any book they shall choose.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
mads05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by mads05 »

I wouldn't make my child read, but I would definitely have positive reinforcements for reading. As a kid, my parents would read to me all the time, and I guess it made me enjoy reading. I would love to have kids that are obsessed with reading like I am, but reading isn't for everyone.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I was always teased for reading continuously in my childhood. Since there were not many books around I have re-read the books I had hundreds of times. I will surely encourage kids to read if they have an interest. I will make sure they have no shortage of books. Even if they have no interest I will still encourage them to read maybe a selected few.
Ericack
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ericack »

My kids love to read, more like being read to, they are pretty young. I also encourage them to read any books and get some suggestion if they want to. I always support them to read Panchatantra stories that help to improve their language as well as their communication skills.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”