When you have kids are you going to make them read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: When you have kids are you going to make them read?

Post by SparklesonPages »

Astrocelot wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 16:53
SparklesonPages wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 01:06 Beginning during my pregnancies and through the toddler ages I read to my kids. What has happened is that they have developed a love for reading on their own. I’m not sure if making your kids read would work.

This is spot-on! My mom was forced to read dense books at a young age and she developed this deep, irrational loathing for most literature until she was in her twenties and my dad reintroduced her to the good stuff. She reads chapter books occasionally now to "make up for lost childhood."

But when my sister and I were little, she did a lot of gentle encouraging; took us to the library and let us roam, set up mini bookshelves in our rooms, and read to my sister because she preferred that over reading by herself. The last bit was especially a valiant effort for her because my sister loved having the same books read to her over... and over... and over... and over again. Mom probably had Goosebumps: Cry of the Cat memorized. Anywho, my sister and I are both avid readers because of it; that's definitely the way to go, over making your kids read!
I can’t imagine being forced to read, sorry your mom experienced that but she certainly sounds like she gave you and your sister a wonderful experience !

I often read books along with my kids, they read a chapter and leave it with a marker on my nightstand so I can catch up. I think it helps relationships as well when you have something light to discuss after.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

No, making kids read won't work. In fact, forcing anyone to do anything doesn't produce the best results. Reading to them and with them will make them enthusiastic about reading; and that's what I am going to do when I have kids.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I'll probably foster an environment where reading is so commonplace that they don't feel forced to read, but they know the innate worth and pleasure of reading. So yes, without a doubt my future kids will read, but it'll be because they want to.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

When I have kids I expect them to follow my lead and read. I plan on reading to them and hope they develop a love of reading as well.
KatrinaP
Currently Reading: Tempest's Fury
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katrinap.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by KatrinaP »

I have been a voracious reader my whole life, and when I had my sons I read to them every day when they were little, up through elementary school. Now, they are in middle school and nearly high school, and I don't force them to read (other than school assignments of course) and despite the fact that my husband and I always have a book in hand or with our noses in it, my sons don't enjoy reading! They loved having stories read to them, and they loved reading when they were younger, but once they both hit about ten they each lost interest in reading for fun; it is heartbreaking! My teenager occasionally still reads for fun, but he is very particular about the books he likes and he re-reads from a handful of favorites, but my middle school aged son does not like to read at all. I substitute teach at a local high school and the middle schools, and I have found that very few kids enjoy reading. It is a bit disheartening, frankly, though considering the heavy use of technology today that didn't exist in such a fashion when I was growing up, I suppose it make sense that kids do less reading today.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

I really love the idea of them reading, and I'll do my best to make that happen. Books are a great source of imagination and culture, and a way to experience things that a lot of the times we can't in real life.
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

Of course I will influence them as much as possible when they were still young, it is for their own good, they will learn a lot from reading, most of the time what they got from the book could be applied in real life, this will be of great help when they go to school, so I am encouraging them.
What goes around comes around
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It will be something great to learn that they have an interest in reading hence I can read with them. Making them to read may not work if they are to develop a good relationship with the parent. I must admit that there is one book that we will all be reading.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

ayoomisope wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 04:35 No, making kids read won't work. In fact, forcing anyone to do anything doesn't produce the best results. Reading to them and with them will make them enthusiastic about reading; and that's what I am going to do when I have kids.
Sure, making them to read may not work. In fact it may make things worse but reading with them will be helpful and eventually, they will pick up the habit themselves.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
LexB93
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LexB93 »

Education is a really big deal, no kid really like to read because they feel like it’s boring homework. I have two boys and while they are still really young it’s important to introduce them to books and make them both excited about reading and learning. So when it’s time to read I grab us a snack, a few props and we make story time fun! If you introduce it to your kids while they’re young you won’t have to “force” them to read.
TheRedQueen22
Favorite Book: Fight or Flight
Currently Reading: Breaking Hollywood
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theredqueen22.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by TheRedQueen22 »

I think my love for reading developed early on in my life without that much involvement from my parents. I just liked how it felt whenever images formed in my mind while I'm reading a story. It further developed when I had the opportunity to read with kids. Once you do it with them every day, it will start to feel like a chore so I had to find and devise ways to keep it fun and entertaining.

There is power in written words. Something that you can only experience once you opened a book and entered its world. I want as many people to experience that as possible.
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

if I ever have kids, i won't make them but i'll certainly encourage it!!
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

You can’t make kids read, but you can teach them to love to read. Forcing them will make them hate it. Instead, read to them every night, from the cradle. My kids are grown, but when each new Harry Potter book came out, you could find me in bed with a teenager on either side, hanging on every word. Also, let your kids see you read. Turn off the tv an hour early and just do it. Fill your house with books of all kinds at all levels and let them pick what they like.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

I have two kids. One wouldn't read even with a pointed gun, the second follows me in every library and reads a book in two days (he's eight years old). Thank God at least one of the two enjoys it. I agree, you cannot force them, they have to like it.
Berry :wine:
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

When (and if) I have kids, I am definitely going to introduce this 'reading trait' I got to them. I don't want to force them, though. Rather I might try a variation of the technique my mother used- letting me read the comics from a newspaper as soon as i learnt to read, later on I proceeded to graphic novels and children's books. Of course, I might have to start with graphic novels or something similar for them, the reason being that although the reading habit stuck to me, I never liked reading actual news! Also, i feel that if parents have a reading habit, it tends to seep into the next generation, sometimes with a little nudge from parents. But I should like to monitor what they are reading at what age, so that they get age-appropriate books.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”