The scent of books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
~Elle~
Bookshelf Size: 0

The scent of books

Post by ~Elle~ »

Today I happened to smell (by accident) the pages of an old paperback I was reading. It smelled sooooo good! I'm always reminded of the scent of books, the older they are, the better! There's just something about it that makes me feel happy! :) Is anyone else mesmerized by the smell of books? Do you ever intentionally sniff them, or would you prefer to keep your nose out of it? :wink:
Last edited by ~Elle~ on 18 Jul 2010, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
Just Me

Post by Just Me »

One of the things I love most in books store, is the smell of new books. I can stand there for hours and just sniff them one by one :)
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I actually cant stand the smell of old books but love that crisp, fresh smell of new paperback novels! Thats one of the reasons i dont generally buy second hand books, because of that old, used smell and God knows how many pairs of hands on the paper before you but at least new is new and refreshing, i know im weird!
You only live once.....so live!
~Elle~

Post by ~Elle~ »

I've never thought of really smelling brand new books before, should try it the next time I buy some! Maybe it will be my new obsession...And StephenKingman, when you put it that way, I don't really feel like smelling old paperbacks now unless they are mine... :shock:
Last edited by ~Elle~ on 18 Jul 2010, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Im the same! You dont know who has had their nose up against the pages which you read so best to buy things new. Even when im browsing books or magazines in a second hand store, that ancient yellowy waft or smell just overwhelms me and puts me off making the purchase.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I like the smell of printer ink too but I don't generally go around sniffing books (old or new)
andr70

Post by andr70 »

I like the smell of new books, just published as theu have the smell of ink and paper.
PhotonicGuy

Post by PhotonicGuy »

Yes, I like the smell of books too (old or new). And even if they have passed through many hands, I like not only new books, I love old bookshops and public libraries.
~Elle~

Post by ~Elle~ »

I'm right there with you, PhotonicGuy. :D
SinStar4

Post by SinStar4 »

Well it depends if the book I am smelling came from a public library or not!
But seriously, this reminds me of the Song Scentless Apprentice that was written by Nirvana that is about a book titled Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.
Fran

Post by Fran »

SinStar4 wrote:Well it depends if the book I am smelling came from a public library or not!
But seriously, this reminds me of the Song Scentless Apprentice that was written by Nirvana that is about a book titled Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.
And a superb book it is too ... way better than the movie
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
oloroso36

Post by oloroso36 »

Agreed Fran, Perfume is a much better book than movie.

As to book smells, very musty books can put me off. New ones do smell enticing. I'm a dedicated library user and therefore a big hand sanitizer user! :D
Fran

Post by Fran »

oloroso36 wrote:I'm a dedicated library user and therefore a big hand sanitizer user! :D
Library fan myself too & I pass books around my friends & workmates all the time & to be honest I never considered your point about hand sanitizers.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Fran wrote:
oloroso36 wrote:I'm a dedicated library user and therefore a big hand sanitizer user! :D
Library fan myself too & I pass books around my friends & workmates all the time & to be honest I never considered your point about hand sanitizers.
To be fair Fran, if you started using hand sanitizers for the handling of library books, you may as well do the same when handling money or shaking hands with people....where does it end!
oloroso36

Post by oloroso36 »

Germs are the #1 reason hospitals no longer supply reading material in waiting rooms. But one can take it too far - I'm not obsessive about it. At least not yet! :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”