Getting children really engaged in reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Getting children really engaged in reading

Post by Libs_Books »

Another member of this site recently expressed the view that all children's books should have activity suggestions at the end, to check children's understanding of what they've read, and to engage them in learning. However, I'm not sure that I agree about children doing an activity afterwards - that's fine if they're reading it in school, but I'm not so sure about it otherwise.

Of course, it is important to make sure they have understood any really difficult bits. I agree that engagement is best for learning, but I think it's good for some books to just be entertainment: a bit silly, a bit fun. I actually loved doing comprehension exercises at school (and I think I was pretty unusual in that respect) but I think it would really have put me off if I had to do something 'educational' every time I read a book. I also suspect it might hinder the really imaginative play that children do when they pretend to be a character or invent new bits to the story - I say 'play', but really I think that's work, and important work, too - much more important and valuable than a comprehension test - but I sill wouldn't want such activities to be compulsory.

Maybe that's an easy view for someone to take when they have a relatively privileged background and live in a country where (mostly) we still have a good public library system. Perhaps, when books are expensive or a scarce commodity, you have to wring every possible drop of learning out of each one. What do others think?
Rosao[60]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rosao[60] »

Children should be able to enjoy reading, but it’s also good to know if they have comprehended what they have read and it’s a nice connection between the reader and listener or for a parent or guardian to find out how well the child is doing!
Aituaje
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aituaje.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Aituaje »

It depends on the nature of the questions at the end. If it's thought-provoking, why did so and so do this or what do you think this means in this context sort of questions, then it's fine. Exploratory questions can be fun and allow children to express to parents and older siblings what their thinking and how they put information together. However, I do not agree with placing strict comprehension -- what did so and so do, what happened first, second, third, etc. -- at the end of every single book. This only furthers the idea that memorizing the book (knowing what happened) is the only way to understand the book; also, this furthers the idea of a 'correct' interpretation. Open-ended questions that encourage creative responses can and should be included. Furthermore, if they aren't included, they can always be asked!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I'm not sure I fully grasp the need to have an activity suggestions portion. I like to explain things or ask questions along the way too see if a child is getting the gist of the story. Anything beyond that sounds too laborious.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

I believe in the idea of encouraging young children to read because it stimulates their brain. It enhances their imagination, their ability to comprehend and read. Activities at the end of their reading for me is not really necessary unless it is something they have to do for school. I think it would be good for them to just let them have fun in reading rather than have them thinking they have to do something after reading this which will be the driving force for them to read it.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
heliz_t
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heliz-t.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by heliz_t »

I think it depends on the age of the child and why he or she is reading the book. I teach English as a Second Language, and use activities and comprehension checks in the classroom with second language readers of all ages. If a child is reading a book for school or a private language course, activities to reinforce comprehension and / or learning of information can be great. That said, if all books for children come with those kinds of educational activities, and kids grow up with the expectation that they always have to do the activities when they read a book, it could de-motivate them to read for pleasure. I have a 6-year-old daughter, and when I read to and with her, we read simply to enjoy the story. We talk about the story and what's happening as we read. When a story captures her imagination, she'll draw pictures or engage in fantasy play inspired by it. I see her making sense of the world by processing the stories she reads. I see this as learning in a broader sense, which goes way beyond "did you understand the words on the page?" or "did you memorize the information in the book?" My concern would be that if those "narrow" learning tasks become the only goal of reading, children could lose the holistic experience of reading. If that happens, they are likely to grow up reading only what they have to for school, and miss out on the enjoyment of reading for pleasure.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

Reading isn’t only about learning. It is also about pleasure. Parents that want to engage with the children and check comprehension should read the book and talk about it with them. They shouldn’t be relying only on someone else to create the questions and activities. As a parent myself of an ESL student, I make it a point to read with my kids and to know what they are reading as they learn. We talk about their books and make sure we know what is happening in the stories. It takes work and engagement, but it helps our relationship and helps them learn to read.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I agree with you that all reading activities do not have to have an 'educational' aspect. As for me, it used to put me off during school. For example, when there was an excerpt from some book or some story in my curriculum, I would gladly read it, sorry, devour it, but that was before my term started. Once I had to critically analyse it or write essays on it or something, I used to be very irritated. I think that would be even worse for children just starting to read! Each and every read will become a mandatory lesson then. But of course, this is just my opinion. And there can be situations in which the 'educational' aspects might be necessary.
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

I do not think such an activity might be necessary. We all read for different reasons and introducing such activity might narrow us to only its educational aspect.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

I am a homeschooler and I have found that the more we ‘push’ our children to discuss what they’ve read, according to our ideas of what should be learned or understood in the book, the less forthcoming they are. When they start telling us what they loved about or learned from a book, then we know they are really understanding and reading for themselves. Of course, in a school curriculum, there are set books from which they need to learn certain lessons, but they seldom ‘enjoy’ those books.
Mara Skywalker
Favorite Book: The Fox
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mara-skywalker.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Mara Skywalker »

I can just refer to my own experience as a child. My parents read a lot to me and apparently, I was a very vivid child and would only sit still when my parents read books to me. We didn't have a tv and we often heard audio cassettes. Very early I started reading on my own, too, but still loved the reading sessions with my parents. They didn't make it a habit to ask specific questions after every book, sometimes they did. I think the key was the time and attention they gave to me and my siblings while reading to us and a discussion about the book evolved naturally. But you need to invest the time and search for books which pick the interest of the child and challenges it.
Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-but-not-kaitlyn.html
Latest Review: Letters to Sis by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret)

Post by Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn »

I know I complain my home state a lot because we're small and so we don't have access to a lot of things, but I would say our library system is pretty good. I know growing up my local library had a summer reading program where for every certain amount of hours you spent reading, you got a prize. I of course had to over-achieve and get as many prizes (usually free books!) that I could and so I was always finishing another book. The whole time I would be talking to everyone I knew about them.
My parents and I would talk about the social issues present in the books and how I thought the worlds could be improved. With them it was serious but I was comprehending and connecting scenarios and different worlds to reality.
With my friends I would tell them about the characters and the plots and we'd act them out. We could be elves one day and explorers the next. We could be fighting beasts or chasing princes.
I had rewards that encouraged me to read frequently and I had supportive people who engaged with me. It was really in having both that I grew into the adult I am today that loves to read and write.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

Children should be given the opportunity to read without the pressures of activity. So many children are already forced to complete activities they don't enjoy in school or at home. Reading should be an escape. However, rewards for reading can be fun and can encourage more children to read. It definitely worked for my brothers.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”