How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Are you meeting your reading goals?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 124

ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How Many Books is Everyone Reading?

Post by ianbuchanan »

MrsDarcy wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 15:41 Because I have a bit of a hectic schedule, I try not to set too many daunting goals for myself. I generally try to finish at least 1 book a month, out of the 3 or 4 that I'm reading at the time. Right now I'm reading a 500-page paperback, a romance novel on my Kindle, a book of poems that I read every once in a while and the book I'm reading for review on this site.

Once my life settles a bit, my goal is to read at least one book a week. Though I wish I could read even more!
Cool, thanks for sharing! It's always a bit of bummer when a hectic schedule gets in the way of our reading hobby, isn't it! How do you like your Kindle? I've always exclusively read print books but have been considering e-readers/e-books more and more as I become aware of their benefits.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

SunFlower- wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 17:44 I enjoy Kindle, as long as I use the white writing on black background (easier on the eyes). Nothing can replace a new book with crisp pages and a fun or pretty bookmark or book lamp.

Reading about 2 books per week is my norm. This includes mostly nonfiction and how-to reads.
Agreed, I've always like the physical book versus reading from a screen. Although, e-readers do have their benefits! What do you like most about your Kindle? Also, what are you reading at the moment?
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

ianbuchanan wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 17:43
P0tt3ry wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 18:50
ianbuchanan wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 18:06

Sounds like you're very resourceful when it comes to your book obtaining habits. Oh you have no problem at all! Reading brings the reader boundless benefits! More the better! Typically, via what method do you obtain your books (i.e. buy, rent, swap, etc.)? Just curious as to how others are sourcing their reading material.
All of the above, I consider Kindle Unlimited renting. I borrow from the library and buy from yard sales and thrift shops. Most professional books are required for classes and sources like http://www.getty.edu/publications/virtuallibrary/ are great ways to access digital books. Books I want to read again and again are purchased in hardback and paperback when possible. Readers always find a way. :techie-reference:
Agreed! Readers do always find a way! We're quite resourceful. Where do you tend to find the greatest selection? Do you ever have trouble finding what you want at, say, yard sales, thrift shops, or libraries?
My tastes are varied so I can usually find something I want to read and most libraries have interlibrary loan. When my favorite authors have new books coming out, I preorder on Amazon or their sites. I forgot to mention ABE books which is a great site to look for books from a variety of independent booksellers.
bekkirtw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bekkirtw.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bekkirtw »

ianbuchanan wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 17:38
bekkirtw wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 19:31 If I'm reading for enjoyment, I average about a book a day. I used to read faster than that, but have slowed a bit with age. When I read for a review, I actually read the book twice: once as a reader, once as a reviewer. This gives me the opportunity to experience the book like a customer would, then to take a detailed look at the editorial style and editing. I find that I am given plenty of time to read this way, and I love to read for the joy of reading.
Thanks for sharing! A book a day, wow! What do you like to read most (genre, author, etc.)? I'm always on the hunt for great book recommendations!
Ian, Believe me when I say I read everything I can get my hands on. I love science fiction, horror, suspense, mystery, historical from all periods, some romance, fantasy, and paranormal in fiction. I like nonfiction as well, and on just about any topic. I love to learn for the sake of learning, and I love to read for the sake of reading. Some of my favorite authors include Dean Koontz and Tom Clancy. My favorite book is The Silence of Trees by Valya Dudycz Lupescu (it is on Kindle Unlimited), and my favorite series is the Earth's Children series by Jean M Auel (available on Kindle, but for the price I opted for the physical books).
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

ianbuchanan wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 18:02
ValBookReviews wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 21:39 Now reading up 2 books per week and loving it. :tiphat:
Awesome! What are you currently reading? I'm curious, when did you start to read at such an avid pace and why did you start?
Let's see: I'm currently reading Randy Love at your Service by Shay Carter and MAN Problems: No More Broken Hearts by Rebecca Simmons. In addition to "my love of life reading", in order to reach my reading goals, I began to read at such and avid pace less than 2 months ago. :)
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Well I’m rattling through books at the moment, but that’s because I was made redundant and then had serious health issues. I think my rate may fall quite considerable when I get a job.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
them1n1ch1ef15
Currently Reading: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-them1n1ch1ef15.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by them1n1ch1ef15 »

I am still reading as much as I can, usually a book every 1-2 weeks. Before I had a baby I read a lot more but just don't have as much time now. I mainly read on my commute to work and in the bath! I don't like to read more than one book at a time as I don't think I read either book properly if I do.
Katiemhardy813
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiemhardy813.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Katiemhardy813 »

My reading is finally back on track after a politics-induced slump. I'm naturally a fast reader (so I kinda feel like I'm cheating), but don't track minutes per day. What has really helped me is augmenting my first love, physical books, with reading on a device. Sneaking in 5 minutes at redlights, or 10 minutes while waiting in line while running errands here and there - it all adds up!

Also, for those who have said that the cost of books is prohibitive (and I hear ya!), many local libraries have a pretty good assortment of online books to loan out. The lending period ranges from 3-4 weeks on average (that I've noticed) and the wait lists aren't too terrible for more popular titles. Might help?
Kelaine
Currently Reading: The Left Hand of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelaine.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Kelaine »

ianbuchanan wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 17:33
Kelaine wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 11:11 I've generally got two books on the go at a time - a physical book for my Book Club and a digital book (usually read on my phone) just because it's super handy to be able to carry around all the time! While I aim to read about 3 books a month, that doesn't happen as often as I'd like. There are so many other things to do and so many other things going on. I get to feeling irresponsible or anti-social if I pass up on walking the dogs, or meeting friends for game nights, etc.
It would probably also help if I read shorter books... but if it's a really great book, I never want it to end!
Awesome, thanks for sharing! I personally have always preferred physical books to e-books and the like, which do you prefer? I'm begin to notice, through this forum, that there are many benefits to e-readers/e-books!
I've got a definite preference for physical books (and a preference for softcover over hardcover, which seems to go against the norm), but digital copies are just so much easier to travel with. Physical books get heavy when they are 400+ pages!
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

I am keeping my goal light, because I have so much else to do with writing and work and I'm honestly not sure how much i can actually do on top of it. But I figured 10 was a good place to start and if i surpass it, I'll up it next year. I'm just playing it safe right now.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

P0tt3ry wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 20:21
ianbuchanan wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 17:43
P0tt3ry wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 18:50
All of the above, I consider Kindle Unlimited renting. I borrow from the library and buy from yard sales and thrift shops. Most professional books are required for classes and sources like http://www.getty.edu/publications/virtuallibrary/ are great ways to access digital books. Books I want to read again and again are purchased in hardback and paperback when possible. Readers always find a way. :techie-reference:
Agreed! Readers do always find a way! We're quite resourceful. Where do you tend to find the greatest selection? Do you ever have trouble finding what you want at, say, yard sales, thrift shops, or libraries?
My tastes are varied so I can usually find something I want to read and most libraries have interlibrary loan. When my favorite authors have new books coming out, I preorder on Amazon or their sites. I forgot to mention ABE books which is a great site to look for books from a variety of independent booksellers.
Great, good to know! Where do you typically find the lowest price (outside of the library)? Do you find prices at all restrictive at times? I know, personally, that I like to save as much as possible, hence the reason why I frequent the library!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

bekkirtw wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 20:51
ianbuchanan wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 17:38
bekkirtw wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 19:31 If I'm reading for enjoyment, I average about a book a day. I used to read faster than that, but have slowed a bit with age. When I read for a review, I actually read the book twice: once as a reader, once as a reviewer. This gives me the opportunity to experience the book like a customer would, then to take a detailed look at the editorial style and editing. I find that I am given plenty of time to read this way, and I love to read for the joy of reading.
Thanks for sharing! A book a day, wow! What do you like to read most (genre, author, etc.)? I'm always on the hunt for great book recommendations!
Ian, Believe me when I say I read everything I can get my hands on. I love science fiction, horror, suspense, mystery, historical from all periods, some romance, fantasy, and paranormal in fiction. I like nonfiction as well, and on just about any topic. I love to learn for the sake of learning, and I love to read for the sake of reading. Some of my favorite authors include Dean Koontz and Tom Clancy. My favorite book is The Silence of Trees by Valya Dudycz Lupescu (it is on Kindle Unlimited), and my favorite series is the Earth's Children series by Jean M Auel (available on Kindle, but for the price I opted for the physical books).
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations! Interesting you brink up Kindle...is that what you primarily use to read? I personally prefer print books, call me old fashioned :lol:
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

ValBookReviews wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 22:11
ianbuchanan wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 18:02
ValBookReviews wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 21:39 Now reading up 2 books per week and loving it. :tiphat:
Awesome! What are you currently reading? I'm curious, when did you start to read at such an avid pace and why did you start?
Let's see: I'm currently reading Randy Love at your Service by Shay Carter and MAN Problems: No More Broken Hearts by Rebecca Simmons. In addition to "my love of life reading", in order to reach my reading goals, I began to read at such and avid pace less than 2 months ago. :)
Awesome! I'm curious...how do you get your books to keep up with your avid pace (library, order online, etc.)? I'd imagine you buy 'in bulk' given the amount of reading you do!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Helen_Combe wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 06:08 Well I’m rattling through books at the moment, but that’s because I was made redundant and then had serious health issues. I think my rate may fall quite considerable when I get a job.
Well I'm sorry to hear about that...but at least there's a silver lining in you getting to read more! What do you like to read most (genre, author, etc.)?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Katiemhardy813 wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 11:09 My reading is finally back on track after a politics-induced slump. I'm naturally a fast reader (so I kinda feel like I'm cheating), but don't track minutes per day. What has really helped me is augmenting my first love, physical books, with reading on a device. Sneaking in 5 minutes at redlights, or 10 minutes while waiting in line while running errands here and there - it all adds up!

Also, for those who have said that the cost of books is prohibitive (and I hear ya!), many local libraries have a pretty good assortment of online books to loan out. The lending period ranges from 3-4 weeks on average (that I've noticed) and the wait lists aren't too terrible for more popular titles. Might help?
I absolutely love my local library...so much that as of right now it is the exclusive place I go to get my books! The selection has not been an issue for me so far, but I can see it being a problem at smaller libraries. The portability of e-readers/e-books sounds super useful and convenient. I haven't really looked much into e-readers and e-books, because, like you, I LOVE physical books, but some of the benefits may be too hard to ignore! Do you find yourself typically reading print books or e-books?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”