Best Way to Get Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

How do you typically obtain your books?

Purchase (Online)
33%
Purchase (In-Store)
24%
Rent (from library)
30%
Borrow
13%

Total votes: 98

ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Best Way to Get Books?

Post by ianbuchanan »

Hi all,

I've just picked up reading as an active hobby of mine! I currently visit the library to obtain my books most of the time, but have found limited availability an inconvenience at times. I was wondering how most of you all obtain your books? What are some of the pros and cons you've noticed through obtaining books via various methods (online, in-store, library, etc.)? Thanks for the insight everyone!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Every way I can. ;)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

When I lived close to a large library, that was my go to, though I had certain authors I searched out to constantly read then found random fillers. Now I live in a small college town. The school library has 1 fiction row and the local library is in a sketchy area and poorly stocked. I usually get ebooks, used books from Amazon, or hit up my local thrift store for bag sales. Bookbub or Amazon unlimited are great, especially if you have Prime where it is included.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

You forgot the option "all of the above".

I use all those options, so I can't vote.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Gravy wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 23:35 Every way I can. ;)
Thanks for the response! Have you found any methods better or worse than others? I'm just curious to find out some of the pros and cons of the various ways people are obtaining their books, which will certainly help me out in the future! I figure active readers are the right people to ask!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

gali wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 01:48 You forgot the option "all of the above".

Thanks for pointing that out! Noted. I guess my thinking in creating the poll question was to determine the primary way people are obtaining books, as in if you were to wake up and get a book tomorrow, what method would you most likely use (online, in-store, library, etc.) to obtain it? Thanks again for your response!
gali

Post by gali »

ianbuchanan wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 00:40

Thanks for pointing that out! Noted. I guess my thinking in creating the poll question was to determine the primary way people are obtaining books, as in if you were to wake up and get a book tomorrow, what method would you most likely use (online, in-store, library, etc.) to obtain it? Thanks again for your response!

Mostly ebooks as they are easier to obtain.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

JodyVamp wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 00:04 When I lived close to a large library, that was my go to, though I had certain authors I searched out to constantly read then found random fillers. Now I live in a small college town. The school library has 1 fiction row and the local library is in a sketchy area and poorly stocked. I usually get ebooks, used books from Amazon, or hit up my local thrift store for bag sales. Bookbub or Amazon unlimited are great, especially if you have Prime where it is included.
Great insight and advice, thanks! Amazon has definitely ruled over the book market in-and-out for what seems like decades now. I've never been all too fond of e-books and e-readers, but haven't really given them a try. Do you tend to prefer them to print books? With a Prime membership, the benefits are clear as day. Call me old fashioned but a physical, turn-the-page, book can't be beat, but the benefits of the new technology are certainly compelling enough to consider. I guess, to put it simply, what's your preferred method of obtaining books, assuming availability was not a major concern?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

gali wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 00:45

I know I ask you this same question in another topic, but do you prefer ebooks to print books, all else equal? I'm just curious because print has always been my preferred method of reading, there's just something about it, but I can definitely see why there's been a wave moving towards e-readers.
gali

Post by gali »

ianbuchanan wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 01:07
gali wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 00:45

I know I ask you this same question in another topic, but do you prefer ebooks to print books, all else equal? I'm just curious because print has always been my preferred method of reading, there's just something about it, but I can definitely see why there's been a wave moving towards e-readers.
I answered you there. I love both formats, but mostly read on my Kindle. I find it easier to hold and read.
A retired Admin/Mod

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ianbuchanan wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 00:36
Thanks for the response! Have you found any methods better or worse than others? I'm just curious to find out some of the pros and cons of the various ways people are obtaining their books, which will certainly help me out in the future! I figure active readers are the right people to ask!

Well, I don't have access to a worthwhile library (which breaks my little bibliophilic heart), so that is not my best option.

I have some sort of block when reading ebooks. Short ebooks work, but they have to be at least under 200 pages (less is better), and really interest me. Otherwise I lose where I am and have to reread a bunch... It just isn't worth it.
Luckily, I've been able to read quit a few classics this way. Project Gutenberg is the best!

I'd have to say that my go-to, where I get most of my books, is used bookstores (oh, how I love the clearence section!), second hand shops, and ordering the used books from Amazon.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

My answer is any way you can! As a nomad, I don't always have access to a good library (or to books in a language that I speak). For example, I'm in Colombia now and don't speak Spanish so can't even really use the tiny village library near where I live. It's also difficult to get deliveries out here so ordering from my favorite Abebooks.com is not going to cut it now. Before this, I lived in Paris and all of Europe had amazing used English and French books that you could get for a song. My absolute favorite way to find books when I have the choice is through discovering small used bookstores or book stands along the street. It's magical!
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

ianbuchanan wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 00:52
JodyVamp wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 00:04 When I lived close to a large library, that was my go to, though I had certain authors I searched out to constantly read then found random fillers. Now I live in a small college town. The school library has 1 fiction row and the local library is in a sketchy area and poorly stocked. I usually get ebooks, used books from Amazon, or hit up my local thrift store for bag sales. Bookbub or Amazon unlimited are great, especially if you have Prime where it is included.
Great insight and advice, thanks! Amazon has definitely ruled over the book market in-and-out for what seems like decades now. I've never been all too fond of e-books and e-readers, but haven't really given them a try. Do you tend to prefer them to print books? With a Prime membership, the benefits are clear as day. Call me old fashioned but a physical, turn-the-page, book can't be beat, but the benefits of the new technology are certainly compelling enough to consider. I guess, to put it simply, what's your preferred method of obtaining books, assuming availability was not a major concern?
Due to price, I prefer e-books. A lot of independent or less popular authors are expensive in paperback due to trying to make up losses on cost of printing, but offer freebies to hook you to a series and usually about 70% off the rest of the series compared to their physical counterpart. I'd go paperback all day if I could, but the less you pay, the more books you can get. Plus, i can download my library onto any device. If my pup gets at the bottom shelf I just have to get a new copy of a real book. Hope this helps!
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I mostly get my books, ebook and paper copy, online. I don't really use the library or purchase in-store like I used to.
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Gravy wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 03:39
ianbuchanan wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 00:36

Well, I don't have access to a worthwhile library (which breaks my little bibliophilic heart), so that is not my best option.

I have some sort of block when reading ebooks. Short ebooks work, but they have to be at least under 200 pages (less is better), and really interest me. Otherwise I lose where I am and have to reread a bunch... It just isn't worth it.
Luckily, I've been able to read quit a few classics this way. Project Gutenberg is the best!

I'd have to say that my go-to, where I get most of my books, is used bookstores (oh, how I love the clearence section!), second hand shops, and ordering the used books from Amazon.
I understand what you mean about ebooks, I often feel the same way. Used books seem to be the absolute way to go! They're inexpensive and relatively just as available as new books. I know I'm a cost-conscious consumer, books being no exceptions, would you describe yourself as the same? I just feel that there are just so many ways to obtain the same book, why not use what costs the least! Also, do you ever come across a new release that you just have to have now? In which case, used book stores may not carry it quite yet...where do you typically go to get that book?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”