How much does the cover page influence your pick of a book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Re: How much does the cover page influence your pick of a book

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

About a 5% estimate. Sometimes the cover of the book is not as significant to me as the content of the book.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

It influences much for me for selecting the book. It really makes me th decide weather I should proceed to read the summary or not.
Essywa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essywa.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Essywa »

I don't judge a book by its cover what matters most is the description and reviews.
MOONTRAVELLER007
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moontraveller007.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by MOONTRAVELLER007 »

missalice wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 14:57 My decision usually lies more on the title than the cover. That's not to say that the cover doesn't have any influence but if the title gets me interested then I'll read the summary. If it passes the summary test then I'll go to the first page. Now this is the real test: the writing test. If I like the writing, I'm buying. I guess I'm kind of picky...
I agree with this, I too like a nice and interesting title to look further into the summary!!
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

It's does influences me. Specially when I want to choose fiction or horrors books.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

micoleon13 wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 14:45 "End of the Last Great Kingdom" has a wonderful cover page and, as someone who isn't a great fan of fantasy, it made me immediately want to read it.

How much do you think the cover page influences your decision on what book to read and does it affect your enjoyment of the book as a whole?
Cover pages matter a whole lot! If it translates as boring to me, then I immediately think the book will be boring, and vice versa.
It does not affect my enjoyment of the book though, what does, I reading a couple of pages. After the first few pages, I will be able to tell, generally, if or how much I will enjoy the book.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
RavingReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravingreads.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by RavingReads »

Not as much as before. It definitely has some influence, but I always remember to read the summary before choosing a book!
ENOCH SAGE
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ENOCH SAGE »

Good question.The front cover determines to me.The front cover of a book must be attractive before I can read a book.
Moocow1213
Currently Reading: Empath Ebook
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moocow1213.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Moocow1213 »

What a great question, I would say that for me personally as a visual person, I am influenced by cover imagery very much, if the cover of a book doesn't appear to me as well put together then I simply am not as inclined to read it.
I do try to read books with covers I would'nt usually go for, but I think subcosciously I will still head towards the ones with the formatted covers.
Though I don't think that the cover nessacarily has to have lots of imagery, it simply has to have a good design. And as a designer myself I think this is something I pick up on.
Student, book obsessed and a spiritual individual
'Trust the process'
TomAPo
Currently Reading: They Thought They Were Free
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomapo.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by TomAPo »

I don't pay a ton of attention to the cover as much as I do to the summary of the book. After reading the summary I will then read a paragraph in two or three different locations in the book to ensure I don't dislike how the author writes.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I'll admit, I don't really follow the "don't judge a book by its cover" saying. This has led me to some not-great reads, but it also led me to some of my favorites. I actually don't think it's a terrible way of picking a book. For me, I just have to keep learning which covers tend to be used by authors that write in a style I like. Writing style and cover-picking style, I'm sure have some correlation.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
DianaMich
Favorite Book: Seeker 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianamich.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by DianaMich »

Have to admit I most of the time pick books because of their eye-catching covers. I think a book should have an amazing cover, even if it's an awesome story, having an attractive cover makes more people grab it.
Claire Vaal
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-vaal.html
Latest Review: So Long Earth by Michael Bienenstock

Post by Claire Vaal »

Even though you’re not supposed to “judge a book by its cover”, I have to say that I usually don’t pick books if I don’t like the cover. However, I also get recommendations from friends and once they tell me about it that’s how I decide if I want to read it. But if I’m just scanning shelves then I usually look at covers before reading all of the summaries.
wordsonpaper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordsonpaper.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by wordsonpaper »

I will admit that I do judge based on a cover, however I have read books that have amazing covers that were flops, and the reverse has also been true. What I have found is that a cover is not a very accurate indicator for whether or not I enjoy the book itself.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

To a great extent. I gwt interested in a book if the cover art looks attractive then I can read the book title. For example, The book Honesty is Key got me intrigued because of its fantastic cover art.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”