Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Cristina Biel
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Cristina Biel »

1) I like reading because it allows me to imagine another world, another reality and to dream how it would feel like to be somebody else, even if it's not a novel, you are introduces into the author's or character's mind and soul.
2) To develop my ability to empathize with others feelings or situations. I love to read a great novel and get filled by all these emotions of an specific character.
3) To let me now I'm not alone in this amazing world full of imagination and warm-hearted people who dream, write and read.
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

I enjoy reading for entertainment or escapism, but also for education. I therefore like a wide range of books. Books must ‘remove me’ or ‘improve me’.
Dave Manny
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dave-manny.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Dave Manny »

Reading a really good book has the effect of removing me from my reality and placing me in the book so it's a means of escape during stressful periods.
Gio Gonzalez
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Dental Questions
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Gio Gonzalez »

I really love imagining everything and drifting off a little bit to let some stress go

It also gives me a ton of ideas and inspiration for drawing because I work as freelance artist, so I need to constantly in the search of ideas, I also like to give reference of books on some of my work! :D
bookworm2567
Currently Reading: Formatting Your Fantastic Book
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by bookworm2567 »

I usually read to keep myself entertained. I have a ridiculous amount of extra time and I'd rather spend it doing something I'll gain something from.
Fedjine Celestin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fedjine Celestin »

I like to read because I was born in the 90's where I don't take 3 hours to play Candy Crush or 3 other hours to checks pictures on Instagram or "streaking" on Snapchat. At my younger age and to this time, I prefer to waste my whole time with a book. Because real life seem so boring and books so travelling.
cnh212
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnh212.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by cnh212 »

I enjoy reading for different reasons.
1) Just to escape in a love story and a different life. Sometimes things are just stressful and hard, and you just need a book to escape in that just awww's you.
2) I liked to read thrill/suspense books because it gets your adrenaline going and you don't want to put down the book.
3) Some books I read just to get a different view about things. I'm open minded, so I like to see what other people think.
ShannonHBC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonhbc.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by ShannonHBC »

I read to learn new things. I don't read fiction anymore, since I do have my own imagination and most writers obviously aren't exactly masters of writing.
camillegermo
Currently Reading: This Will Only Hurt a Little
Bookshelf Size: 71

Post by camillegermo »

Reading allows me to forget about reality and take in someone else's for a moment. Reading is the most relaxing thing to me, and has been since I was very little.
maan cecilio

Post by maan cecilio »

i love to read because it makes me relax and reading can make you appreciate things in life.
Rubeena2209
Currently Reading:

Post by Rubeena2209 »

I like to read to get the knowledge and also see different perspectives of life.Happiness and sorrows are part of life so it amazes me how a writer can relate to those situations.
Essie_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essie-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Essie_Reviews »

This is a really interesting question I've never thought to ask myself, never mind answer. I notice there's a theme, especially as of late, that people like reading for one of two things: escapism, and downright rebellion against the technological advancements in entertainment which is of course more common in people born in the 90s and earlier. Even though I was born in the 90s, I'm not averse to a computer or a cellphone-- in theory. But why I choose to read over any other form of entertainment? I'm not sure.

There's something about when the author gets it right; when words flow seamlessly into one another, as if the word before is passing the baton and the sentences and paragraphs work together, like an organism on the page. An author who has a vibrant voice that captures you and you're willing to surrender to the adventure. An adventure that has no plot holes and seems just as real as real life itself, even when fantastical. An adventure that seems so personal to you, even when you're transported to a world you've never known and characters you'll probably never actually encounter. Yes, sometimes we're lucky and people we meet inspire us to view them as close to perfection as a fictional world would allow, yes, sometimes we're definitely lucky.

However, at the end of the day, I think I read because there's no other pastime like it.
Olagboye Sam
Currently Reading: The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Olagboye Sam »

Reading a book open me to another world. So I will say I love reading. Reading give u a knowledge and understanding of the book u read. So it helps a lot. We don't read because we feel like reading. We read to know what is going on in our environment.
wendy h25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by wendy h25 »

I love reading because it provides a way to escape reality, and its always been relaxing for me. I love to learn new things, and I am able to gain new knowledge from reading books. :techie-studyingbrown: :reading-6:
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

With a book I can go anywhere.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”