Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
gunnyswife
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnyswife.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by gunnyswife »

I've loved reading as an escape since I was a kid. Now though, it's also to amuse my own children and foster a love of books in them too.
TheRedQueen22
Favorite Book: Fight or Flight
Currently Reading: Breaking Hollywood
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theredqueen22.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by TheRedQueen22 »

I transferred to a High School far away from my friends. I didn’t know a single soul and it didn’t help that I was awfully shy.

During lunch breaks when I had no one to talked to, I brought books with me from my mom’s office. They had a collection of Goosebumps and Choose Your Own Story!

I spent my hours in my own world during a time when I felt like I didn’t fit in with everyone.
RicReviews
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RicReviews »

I just love the world of stories and have been reading comics and books since the age of 5. I love to read and will never give it up. :)
Prasitha Suresh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Prasitha Suresh »

Reading is like a escape from my all my worries. It just transports to world where I can forget all my useless problems.I just love it. Do we really need a reason to like something?
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I do love books. The primary reason is that when I experience life through the eyes of another, I seem to encounter diverse angles on life’s most common situations. Does that makes sense? :tiphat:
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
fengaraki77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fengaraki77.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by fengaraki77 »

I love reading cause books help me escape to other worlds. I love fantasy, scifi, mystery books. You don't get those things in real life ( unless you are a detective or something ). I also love reading biographies. It amazes me to read about how all those famous people lived their lives.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
WingTaken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wingtaken.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by WingTaken »

Of course, reading means to listen to what others say about certain topics or ideas, but to me, reading is about being able to dive into a different world and explore it. It is more of an escape from reality that it is to inform myself or widen my knowledge. I love to listen to the different voices of authors and am especially swept away when I read The Chronicles of Narnia or even Percy Jackson because I enjoy listening to the story as if it were those two magnificent authors speaking to me directly.
I have always enjoyed reading and my only regret is not being able to afford every book I want to read.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

I love to be transported somewhere else. It can be a fantasy world or just somewhere I've never been. I also love a good mystery or horror novel. Let's me have fun without any real danger.
Aaybeedee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Aaybeedee »

it relaxes me and its also entertaining
Gracetailor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracetailor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gracetailor »

I love reading because I get to be in somebody else's world without having met them before.
I read to relax, pass time,or even just to acquaint myself with new vocabularies :P
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Curious, isn't it? I would say I don't particularly like "escapist" literature - in fact, I'm quite a fan of Dystopian stuff - but there is definitely something about stepping into another world that appeals to me. I have a relatively low tolerance for non-fiction - even where the subject interests me, I find it quite hard work, and tend to take them slowly, whereas the best books are a sheer pleasure and I have to make an effort not to devour them in under 24 hours.
Sorchadorcha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorchadorcha.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sorchadorcha »

I love reading because it allows me to explore other worlds, embark on epic adventures and experience things I never could in my usual mundane life.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html

Post by JodyVamp »

This one is a little tricky. I'm not entirely sure why I do it, just know that I enjoy it. I suppose why I love reading is best understood through my varying interests. I have horror, thrillers, and cheesy comedies lining my bookshelves, as well as a few mythologies, science books, and of course the whole collection of Poe's works. Each appeals to me for a different reason. Comedy cheers me up when I'm stressed out or just having a bad day. Thrillers are an amazing escape to places I can't afford or would never dare to go, like the Amazon, but find interesting. Halloween is my favorite holiday and I find horror a great way to get into the mood of the season.
petiteprimera
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrine home for peculiar children
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by petiteprimera »

Helps me relax
Essentially_Literate
Favorite Book: Beastly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essentially-literate.html

Post by Essentially_Literate »

I love reading because it's an escape. I can get distracted by a fictional character's problems and issues rather than my own. My answer to this question is probably a very typical answer. When I read nonfiction every once in awhile, I get new information about something important. I have ET, Essential Tremors, and I recently read one of Michael J. Fox's books, called Always Looking Up, in hopes that I would be able to relate to his symptoms and daily struggles. It was a book I could kid of relate to and understand! I wish that he would have focused more on his day to day life than other subjects but that's not the point. Reading is finding that connection to something that you never knew you had! That is why I like reading.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”