Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Nerea »

Reading keeps my mind busy, helps me to improve and polish my grammar, lastly, i am confident that it will help me be a good book reviewer.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Rashika345
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rashika345 »

Reading for me is no less than food for soul. It soothes me. It increases my knowledge to a great level. Morever it gives my imagination a wing. A book teaches you so much that perhaps can never be taught.
Omidan123
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Omidan123 »

I read first to improve the quality of my writing. Then, reading helps me to connect with people who live far way from me in time and space.
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

When I was young, my mom told me "If you can read, you can do anything." I do a lot of reading to learn. Henry Miller once said that "the aim of life is live, and to live means to be aware." I read to know what's going on in the world around me. I read because I'm curious--about everything. And, as many others have said, sometimes I read to escape.
Adediran Israel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adediran-israel.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Adediran Israel »

I like readlng because it open my eyes to things I do not know. Book empowers and give knowlege
Piechary

Post by Piechary »

I love reading because it keeps me busy and gives me opportunity to experience things I haven't experienced before. To vision situations, way in and way out.
EllieAfter
Currently Reading: The Atomic City Girls
Bookshelf Size: 1140
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by EllieAfter »

I love reading. It seems to me that reading has always been there for me. Some of my earliest memories are sitting on my mom's lap while she read to me. It just seems like something natural to do, like breathing. Being a shy person, books have allowed me to meet people, go places, see different perspectives, go on adventures all while never leaving my own home.
Dynasty1718

Post by Dynasty1718 »

I read because it is my escape. You can be who you want. Reading is better than movies I think because you have to open your mind and use your imagination on somethings. It help build my vocabulary and helps me when I need down time.
dianabooks
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by dianabooks »

I love reading because you get to go to a different world. Its an escape from reality.
dianabooks
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by dianabooks »

books has always been there for me. when life gets hard it was there ro distract me from it all
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

I like to lose myself into a good book to escape the real world. This helped greatly when I was being bullied at school and helps now when depression threatens to overwhelm me.
HarleenQuinzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harleenquinzel.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HarleenQuinzel »

I like reading because it helps me get lost for a couple of hours in something outside of my own world. Nothing beats the feeling of getting invested in a story and losing track of time. I also use it as a time consuming hobby. When I had dropped out of university and had a couple of years off before returning, I had read a lot of books to occupy myself. I found this was an easy way to keep flexing my “brain muscles” while I wasn’t receiving any type of formal education.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

Just like many people have said before me, I like reading in order to to travel to new places and meet new and interesting people. It is not only an escape but an adventure into new worlds.
kittykat2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat2018.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by kittykat2018 »

I think the main reason I enjoy reading is because it exposes me to new ideas. Whether it is fiction or non-fiction, the author is presenting their perspective on the world.

I am also fascinated by characters, whether in real life or fictitious. When I am reading a fiction book, I love the narrator's unraveling of the character; their history, what they think and how they act.

I love film and storytelling in general, but with a book, you get to spend relatively more time with the characters. A movie is told in 1.5-3 hours, where a book can take anywhere from a week to a couple of months. With a book, you pick it up for a couple of hours and then return to daily life. You find yourself pondering that character, and their dilemmas and perhaps how you would respond if you were in their shoes. I think with books, there is a level of depth that cannot be achieved through film.
khall1395
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by khall1395 »

I love reading because it helps my mental health. I have depression, anxiety, and PTSD. Reading provides a way for me to escape and feel at peace. I love entering new worlds through books! :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”