Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jvillalobosm86
Currently Reading: Wellness Toolbox
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvillalobosm86.html
Latest Review: Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies by Robert Marier

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by jvillalobosm86 »

Mostly, classics. Not only in the literal public domain, pre-1923 sense, but the books that have had a place in history. However, I've started to look also for more recent stuff, like Warlight, some national authors and words by political leaders of our era.
Avidreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Avidreader01 »

I like reading because reading takes you into the mind of the author and into the heart of the story. Reading takes you on a journey and it's as if you are physically in the story being told.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

First, it is a form of escape, then there is the fact that while reading I get to travel the world, I get to learn something new every time. I also get to see different views and perspectives.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I enjoy reading because it is fun, it teaches me new things, and it broadens my horizons, as I see things from a new perspective by seeing other people's experiences.
Allybear
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Allybear »

I love to read because I find it helps me escape my real life and live the characters life for a bit. I can fully immerse myself in a good fictional romance or fantasy and completely dream that it is my life. Reading for me helps me to destress from the days problems and helps to put me to sleep if I’m having a particularly busy head with thoughts.
Julianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julianna.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by Julianna »

I like it mostly because it transports me from reality to various places (good and bad). They help me to think differently when troubling situations arise in real life. And lastly, it relaxes me.
Yolimontanoa

Post by Yolimontanoa »

I love reading because it makes my imagination fly and i get to know different cultures, ideologies and i witness adventures i wouldn't have known from anywhere else,
DrPatti8454
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: Death Trap
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drpatti8454.html
Latest Review: Lily White Lie by Connie Chappell
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by DrPatti8454 »

I was a terrible student because I am dyslexic. And I couldn't sit still long enough to let it bothered me. I didn't read a book all the way through until I had graduated from college. So, I taught myself to read by picking books like Ruth Rundell or Agatha Christie. Something that wasn't challenging but it kept me interested in the subject matter, and not finishing until I knew whodunit. Now, I'll not intimidated by books are over 600 pages.
rpayne111rp
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rpayne111rp.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by rpayne111rp »

I like reading as an escape from my reality. I enjoy reading fantasy and thriller novels because they are so different from the mundane. However, I also find memoir fascinating. The lives and experiences of people from all across time and space challenge my understanding of the world and the way it works. I learn about the daily struggles of people, sometimes major problems that deserve much more attention. Any opportunity for me to learn and become more empathetic is one to be taken.
SayraSalinas4

Post by SayraSalinas4 »

I love to read because it just makes me forget all about my problems. And it increases my vocabulary and opens up my imagination wide open! Reading is good and it's a good thing for your brain and to challenge yourself with words that you don't recognize or never use
pengy86
Currently Reading: After Ever Happy (After, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pengy86.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by pengy86 »

Reading gives me an escape from every day life to engross myself in a new world or adventure.
nagadurga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nagadurga.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by nagadurga »

Reading a books gives me lots of different experiences,It helps me meet so many characters through the book i read. I love reading because I can travel to the past and future without the time machine, and I can even travel to different worlds and places without moving from my home. Reading gives you best friend and a companion i.e the book you are reading. On a whole I feel reading is like a therapy that make us relax and gives us a power to escape from our real time problems for a certain period of time.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I like to read to escape from the world and dive into an alternate world for a little while. I also find reading really calming.
booksaddict

Post by booksaddict »

I like reading for many reasons, let's summarises in one, i have one lifetime, but i want to live more, this is of course impossible, but with reading i can, in other words, experience of life is more rich with reading, and reading leads to writing or doing something creative, no creativity without reading.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Every time i open a new book, it introduces me to a new world. I love being a tourist in the 'written world'.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”