Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
quirky_scorpio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quirky-scorpio.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by quirky_scorpio »

Honestly reading is the only way to acquire knowledge without any restrictions. I basically read everything from educational books, novels, magazines, newspaper to children's book. Mostly am a fan of fantasy and sci-fi novels cause they allow me to escape from this monotonous life.
Mrsbrinson31101
Currently Reading: Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsbrinson31101.html
Latest Review: Sugar & Spice by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mrsbrinson31101 »

It takes you to a different place when you read.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

I read to experience and learn about things that I know I’ll never be able to experience in person. It’s magic.
dcw
Favorite Author: Louisa May Alcott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcw.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve
fav_author_id: 332

Post by dcw »

I can think of several reasons
My top three are:
Escape from reality
Depending on the genre, I love to learn about new things or ideas
And I like that I can learn about something from a different point of view
EDWIN OCHIENG OPIYO
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by EDWIN OCHIENG OPIYO »

In my view, I like reading generally because it empowers me and builds my language capabilities. Getting to read the works of various scholars gives me an exposure in the research field, particularly on what should be researched on, putting into consideration, the impact of the content of such research for public reaction. Additionally, I like reading since it has enabled me to communicate and write fluently.
DreamStoryWeaver
Currently Reading: Cordina's Royal Family
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by DreamStoryWeaver »

Growing up in a military family meant not being able to make any real connections with anyone due to the fact that you were just going to get reassigned by the end of the year or so. Books were really the only consistent thing I had going for me at the time. The stories were the one thing that didn't change and allow me to even develope a love for writing short stories of my own. It also taught me how different genres could be written.

I read to escape being bored because it takes me out the mundane and into a world of fantasy. A world where magic can exist or time travel can actually happen. It allows me to imagine visiting the places the characters are in and seeing what they see. It also shows how two different perspectives could be applied to a single scene and how two different personalities can react to the same scene. Its almost like you are in the mind of the characters and seeing things through their perspective.

Reading also can help me to think about and understand the points of views I've never thought of before. Depending on where the story is taking place, it can even give an inside look to how certain social/political circles actually work in a more practical way that doesn't confuse the reader. Such as what the life a royal family it really like behind closed doors and how their title and position is more of a job than who they are. It can also humanize characters in a way that breaks the stereotype they may even represent.
Lib -
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lib.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lib - »

I like reading because it is relaxing and makes me feel serene. It keeps me active mentally as a senior.

Susan Solomon
Lib -
Inmortalbooklover
Currently Reading: Glass Sword
Bookshelf Size: 46

Post by Inmortalbooklover »

For 2 reasons:
1. It´s a way of scaping real life responsabilities and problems
2. Books open up endless possbilities and stories I can experience, thta I would otherwise not be able to.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

so many reasons! I think George R R Martin said it best - "A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, a none reader but one."

also, I like to read before bed because my anxiety tends to act up as I am trying to gear down, my mind starts racing. So it helps me to escape and focus on something separate.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I mainly read fiction. I love the fact that these small, unassuming, rectangle things hold entire worlds just waiting to be discovered. Anything somebody dreams up can be turned into a story that I get to delve into ranging from romances, gaiety tales, science fiction, crime or horror. For some reason, for me that is just amazing. I love getting to pick a world in whatever genre I fancy at the time and just escaping into it.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I used to just read non-fiction because I want to learn as much as possible.
But I was later told that non-fiction sort of spoon-feeds you with knowledge that I don't get much time to actually digest and understand the concepts. So I'm trying fiction recently. And the good news is that I still learn!
SmrutiS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrutis.html
Latest Review: I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH! by Len Foley

Post by SmrutiS »

I like reading due to the impact it has on me. I select my book according to my mood. Sometimes I read three books simultaneously. It has at times a cathartic effect or a therapeutic effect, at times helps me think in a different way about my situation...
kelso9326
Favorite Book: Life Expectancy
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelso9326.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by kelso9326 »

I love reading because of how I can escape my life for a while. I have anxiety issues so it really helps me when I need to relax for a while.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

sleepydumpling wrote: 19 Aug 2007, 21:58 I read for two reasons...

1) To escape. I love being transported to another time or place. I love that feeling of seeing or doing or experiencing something different.

2) To see things from a different perspective. I love a book that makes me think and shows me things from other people's perspectives.
I 100% agree with this. Nothing better than running away from the stress of real life into a book.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I read to learn, but also to escape the stress of the real life. Basically a coping mechanism.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”