Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Seth_JP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seth-jp.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Seth_JP »

Allows me to experience different situations and seeing different perspectives. It helps me be more aware on how different people react on different things and the possible result of the action they made. Reading actually help me be open-minded than I was. it's like a walkthrough by gamers, i don't have control of their situation and is only a bystander but i learned from their gameplay so should there be a time that i'll be in their situation i can make the same or better choice they did.
Elmien Sinclair 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elmien-sinclair-1.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Elmien Sinclair 1 »

Reading provides you with a great way to escape from reality. I also prefer to rather read than watching a movie or series because I can decide how characters should look, how the environment should look etc. I juat love it to read.
Elmien Sinclair 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elmien-sinclair-1.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Elmien Sinclair 1 »

Reading provides you with a great way to escape from reality. I also prefer to rather read than watching a movie or series because I can decide how characters should look, how the environment should look etc. I juat love it to read.
Cherrie Rosaldo
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Favorite Book: David's Sling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrie-rosaldo.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Cherrie Rosaldo »

I love reading because of the different perspectives it teaches me.
Ebets
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62

Post by Ebets »

I like to read because it relaxes me. It takes me into a whole different world and out of my world for awhile. Reading is just good for you.
Bookswithing
Currently Reading: The Half Brother
Bookshelf Size: 1222

Post by Bookswithing »

So many reasons for reading, but the overarching reason is pure escapism. Like so many others here I read to experience new worlds, including worlds that didn't exist until the author brought them into being. I read to have new experiences, living vicariously through the lives of others and achieving a better understanding of other lives, times, ideologies, societies, cultures and so on.

I read to learn, to travel, to be introduced to new ideas and new ways of thinking. I read to learn, to challenge myself and also to relax. I can't think of a genre I don't read or haven't read, although I'll admit to favourites including crime fiction, speculative fiction, young adult fiction, and urban histories. It's a longer list than that once I start thinking about it, too.

Long story short: escapism.
Vanessa Urban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Vanessa Urban »

When I first fell in love with reading, I had used it as an escape from reality.
Now, with my dream to become an author, I’ve found that reading improves my writing ability and encourages me to continue when I’ve lost motivation because it shows me what I can achieve if I continue to work towards my goals.
Tosha Greenfield
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tosha Greenfield »

I love reading because it is thought provoking. I also learn something new from every book I read. Books are the one constant in my life for me.
Kathryn Luisa Lauritzen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-luisa-lauritzen.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Kathryn Luisa Lauritzen »

As others have said, reading is an escape for me as it allows me to imagine landscapes, people, and experiences I wouldn't have access to otherwise. It also helps me satisfy my infinite curiosity about the world.

As a child, my favorite memories were the guest bedroom in my grandparent's home, where I stayed during the summers set up with floor-to-ceiling bookshelves so I could spend all night reading. Reading and discussing books has been the only way I have connected with my grandmother, with whom I otherwise would have nothing in common.

Reading allows me to connect with others outside the conventional ways to connect with others, giving me more to talk about and a better understanding of people by reading about psychology, cultures, and a variety of other topics. :)
Christine Palmer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by Christine Palmer »

It is relaxing. Watching TV or movies, working out, puzzling etc. doesn't quiet the anxious voices in my head. When I'm reading I can't over think anything!
Mia Smith 7
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mia-smith-7.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mia Smith 7 »

Escapism. Reading takes me to another world where the problems and worries of real life fade away. I can be someone else somewhere else. It very soothing and relaxing. It let's me get away from reality.
Tameka P
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: My Child is Missing
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tameka-p.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Tameka P »

It's a reprieve from reality. I get to dive into a different world. And an exceptionally well-written book can pull me in.
I love seeing characters come to life. And I love feeling like I am literally on their journey with them.
Hannah Hampton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-hampton.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Knowledge by Terence H.Young

Post by Hannah Hampton »

I love reading! It is a great way to escape the real world and enter a new one. I particularly love fantasy, because it allows me to engage with monsters and heroes that don't exist in the real world. Also, after reading, I tend to see the world around me a little bit clearer, and to find more enjoyment in simple beauties.
lucyoscar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lucyoscar »

Traveling to other eras and seeing various cultures are two of reading's most important advantages. I often consider how I would have conducted myself in other eras and situations. Reading enhances creativity
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Brian, Created Intelligence by AJ Pagan IV
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Like many others, I also enjoy the escapism of diving into a book. The other thing I love is learning new things. Even at 55 yo I feel that every book teaches me something, whether it's about a foreign place or a concept or ideal I haven't considered; my thirst for knowledge can only be quenched by reading.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”