Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
read2u
Currently Reading: Unveil your Intimate Self
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-read2u.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by read2u »

For knowledge. Primarily non-fiction, but occasionally fiction to use my imagination.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The thing that reading can do is to allow you connect with the thoughts and the knowledge of other people who you may never make to meet physically. Reading also helps to develop our minds.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It is also true that a vast of amount of knowledge is hidden in the books. It has helped to store the milestones of mankind hence helping us to learn from our past and to know how to navigate through the future.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Reading has been from the past even before the films and the televisions were invented hence I feel that it is a great way to learn much with the involvement of the mind.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
nancyab
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancyab.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by nancyab »

Sometimes I have trouble sleeping, so taking my Kindle with me to bed works out well. I can read until I start to fall asleep then just shut it off and put it aside. I don't need a light on in the bedroom to read by.
sskrout
Favorite Book: The Faith of Helen Keller
Currently Reading: Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
Bookshelf Size: 56871
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sskrout »

I like reading for many reasons. I love learning new things. I like reading about places and cultures I will probably never see and visit eras that I could never experience. I like immersing myself in others' lives for a bit that is so different than my own (real or fictional) and feel what they feel, see what they see, experience what they do. I love the movie that happens in my head as the book unfolds, way better than anything I could see on a screen. Reading is my passion, escape and vacation all in one. : )
Asen Stoyanchev
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading: Sigrfried's Smelly Socks
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asen-stoyanchev.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Asen Stoyanchev »

It is simple - it makes me sleep better and it also relaxes me :)
“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”
― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

In reading as opposed to watching movies I give the characters faces and figures according to my own imagination and this makes the stories more interesting. In reading, I live and interact with other people I may never meet anywhere else. If I was not a lover of books I do not know what I would be.
cianarae
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cianarae.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by cianarae »

I love learning from books. Whether it be reading a nonfiction book to get a better understanding of a particular topic - I recently read a very interesting book about faking your own death called Through the World of Death Fraud by Elizabeth Greenwood - or reading fiction to learn about people's perceptions of the world - like in the discussion of drugs and addiction in Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting - there is so much to learn!
freeLancer17+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by freeLancer17+ »

I have always been fascinated by books, since my Mom read me a wide variety of Fairy Tales and Mother Goose. Books have stretched my imagination about exotic places, the violent side of life, and the pain endured by people during War. They have taught me about the beauty of Art, peoples and ancient cultures of the world. Reading has given me knowledge on a wide variety of subjects.
Many members of my family have taken to writing our own books. My Mom for years has worked on a series of historicl novels, she can no longer publish. I will finish them for her and they will be her legacy to our familiy. She read them to me often, and I have all her notes. Two of my grandaughters cretaed tow books published as part of a school project. The older girl did the illustrations, and the younger one wrote the stories. For me, I am a Commercial Coywriter, amd I am doing family histories for two members of our tree. Books have always been in our blood.
djknott1
Favorite Book: Ceremony of the Innocent
Currently Reading: The Widow of the South
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djknott1.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by djknott1 »

Reading helps me live many lives in the short one I have!
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I love reading because it takes me to another life,and every time I read a book its like living an alternate life and that just makes me happy. Reading is also an escape for me when I'm stressed out and feel like no one will understand. A good book always makes me smile.
Mkpo ikana
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Mkpo ikana »

I love reading because I want to improve myself, the way I speak, the way I behave, the way I think and the way I take things of life. I also read so that I can build up my future.
Stormy76
Currently Reading: Ignite
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Stormy76 »

I fell in love with books because every time I pick one up I can go somewhere different, be anyone I want to be, or learn anything I want!
Carmen-17
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carmen-17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Carmen-17 »

Good question! I read for pleasure most of the time. It’s also very hard for me to get to sleep at night so I read before bed. I also enjoy reading a good book to young children (my nieces and nephews). It’s like sharing a part of me with them.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”