What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
madhuri001
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by madhuri001 »

I was read the last book "Vivekananda life history" it was the great and inspirable book, and we can easily understand that sentences.
intelligentsiagirl
Currently Reading:

Post by intelligentsiagirl »

Read ...

CULT OF THE DEAD COW
How the Original Hacking Supergroup Might Just Save the World
Joseph Menn
Public Affairs, Published 2019

8/10

Very interesting with the information that Beto O'Rourke hangs out with hackers face to face. Being with members of the Cult of the Dead Cow who have connections with Anonymous. Anyone with a Guy Fawkes avatar?
Ideologies evolve to become oxymoron's, because they are stress tested as Occam's razors: for the manipulation of the ill-educated commoners -- so they can embrace an ideology in vogue - 1 January 2020
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Sybil; or the Two Nations (1845) by Benjamin Disraeli is a discourse on social conditions and political events in England at the time.

In the guise of fiction, Disraeli expands on his views of the social chasm between the rich and the poor, the propertied and the working classes, and frames it around the worker uprisings associated with the Chartist movement.

Disraeli is expansive in describing the claims of injustices against the workers, the long hours, the harsh conditions and the low wages bordering on slavery. He describes in detail one particular form of exploitation, whereby workers are not paid in cash, but are forced to take their 'wages' in goods at inflated prices from company run stores.

This is worth a read simply for its historical and political context. 4 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Priyanka Kumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka-kumar.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Priyanka Kumar »

The last book i read was Sapiens : A Brief History Of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari. The book is very factual. I would rate 4.5 out of 5.
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

The Good People by Hannah Kent is a quaint, well-told tale of Irish folklore set in 1825 in a remote valley in the south west of Ireland, and based on real events.

Hannah Kent has done a great job in capturing the beliefs, practices and tensions in this Irish community, where there is an ongoing battle in the minds of locals between traditional folklore and the teachings of the traditional Church. However, I strongly suspect the author's sympathies lie with the old ways, which appear to be no sillier than Christian beliefs and rituals when it is all boiled down.

The story has been well researched and delightfully presented, and is, overall, an enjoyable read, perhaps not quite as predictable as I originally suspected it might be. 4 stars out of 5.

intelligentsiagirl
Currently Reading:

Read ...

FOR THE RECORD
DAVID CAMERON
HarperCollins Publishers, Published 2019

7/10

Interesting reading from a political leader. There is a clear difference with the author of a political leader from the United Kingdom than a political leader from the United States. Even that I am a American, I find the prose of a political leader from the United Kingdom to be more interesting than from a American political leader. David Cameron prove to me, that he is very human.
Ideologies evolve to become oxymoron's, because they are stress tested as Occam's razors: for the manipulation of the ill-educated commoners -- so they can embrace an ideology in vogue - 1 January 2020
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing i rated it 3 out of 4 because there were a few errors.
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

The Orb by Tara Basi. An easy 4 stars. I just love Tara's writing.
Oliver_books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-books.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Oliver_books »

The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Rating: 4 out of 4 :techie-studyinggray:
Dilawar Singh

Post by Dilawar Singh »

I recently completed The Secret by Rhonda Byrne.
That's superb book I've ever read.
I give it 5/5
intelligentsiagirl
Currently Reading:

Read ...

Out of Our Minds
What We Think and How We Came to Think It
Felipe Fernandez-Armesto
University of California Press, Published 2019
intelligentsiagirl
Currently Reading:

Read ...

THE ICE AT THE END OF THE WORLD
AN EPIC JOURNEY INTO GREENLAND'S BURIED PAST AND OUR PERILOUS FUTURE
Jon Gertner
Random House, Published 2019

7.5/10

Interesting book about Greenland and its history
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

Esther Freud is the daughter of artist Lucien Freud and the grand daughter of Sigmund, and her 1992 novel Hideous Kinky is semi-autobiographical.

The story of the mother Julia, a hippie, and her two daughters, Lucia and Bea, living and travelling in Morocco in the 1960s, reflects the real adventures of Esther, her sister Bella and her mother Bernadine. What is real and what is total fiction is unknown.

The story is narrated by the younger daughter, Lucia, who is about 5 or 6 at the time. It therefore has that candid innocence and charm that comes from the voice and world view of a young child.

I enjoyed it immensely, revelling in the starry-eyed innocence of young Lucia who mostly just rolled with whatever was happening and soaked in the strange and exciting world about her. It works because it is unsophisticated and simple. 4 stars out of 5

MayaE
Currently Reading: Whisper Network
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by MayaE »

The Great Believers - Rebecca Makkai. I loved the book. 5 stars. It is not a page turner, not a happy book. But, definitely a book to remember.
intelligentsiagirl
Currently Reading:

Read ...

AGENT M
THE LIVES AND SPIES OF MI5'S MAXWELL KNIGHT
Henry Hemming, Published 2017

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”