What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
intelligentsiagirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by intelligentsiagirl »

Read ...

WAFFEN-SS
Hitler's Army at War
Adrian Gilbert
Da Capo Press, copyright 2019

3/10

Not the best World War II book. Very selective, and not really researched
Ideologies evolve to become oxymoron's, because they are stress tested as Occam's razors: for the manipulation of the ill-educated commoners -- so they can embrace an ideology in vogue - 1 January 2020
waldomalan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waldomalan.html
Latest Review: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life by Lewis Kempfer

Post by waldomalan »

I have just read "Don't Mind Me - I'm Just Having a Bad Life" by Lewis Kempfer.
Rated 4/4

A very well-written memoir that lures the reader into the "plot" and the "story".
It is a story of redemption that gives hope
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

My last book was The Fox whose metaphorical title was intriguing. It was derived from a Greek legend on the boy who stole a fox. He hid it under his cloak where the fox started gnawing at the boy's intestines. The boy never screamed in fear of being called a thief. The story is about how Sparta chose inaction as it fell from its former glory.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

The last book I read was The Watchmaker's Doctor by G.M.T. Schuilling. I rated it a 4 out of 4. It was an interesting book that mixed time travel and mental illness.
intelligentsiagirl
Currently Reading:

Read ...

A Warning
A SENIOR TRUMP ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL
Anonymous
Twelve, Hachette Book Group, copyright 2019

It is a short and fast read book. It has 259 pages, and the book was release yesterday (19 November 2019) and I did not start reading the book until 2pm and I just got done with the book at 9am. The author has made it clear, he is a Republican, and he does read as a conservative. He does not talk about religion, civil rights, or talk about America in regional issues. I cannot tell, I cannot read into the book to discover were the author was born and raised. There is information about the White House, but, the information is already told in the news media before he wrote the book. So there is really no new information.
Ideologies evolve to become oxymoron's, because they are stress tested as Occam's razors: for the manipulation of the ill-educated commoners -- so they can embrace an ideology in vogue - 1 January 2020
Nolee

Post by Nolee »

I had just finished reading The Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan. I give it 4/5 because it is a great book that mashes up roman and Greek mythology and fantasy. However, I docked down one star because at some portions of the book, it feels that the plot was stretched out longer than it needed to be.
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

A Flame Through Eternity by Anna Belfrage, 4 out of 5 stars
intelligentsiagirl
Currently Reading:

Read ...

ALL THE POWERS OF EARTH 1856 - 1860
THE POLITICAL LIFE OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN
Sidney Blumenthal
Simon & Schuster, copyright 2019

This is the third volume of Abraham Lincoln from this author. I have read all three books, and this is the worst book written. Have to say, the book talks more about Senator Douglas than Abraham Lincoln. And, it does talk a great deal about backstories from the 1850's. Very disappointed.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Two books finished recently, Firstly, A Good Man Is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor, which contains 10 short stories, ranging in length from less than 20 pages to about 40 pages.

All of the stories and set in the south of America in the post WWII period (mostly early 1950s), and are full of misfits and the underside of American life.

All of the stories are quirky, contain an element of surprise, frequently end abruptly at an unexpected stage of the story and are, indeed, all quite wryly remarkable.

O'Connor has a keen understanding of the human condition, is a sharp and wily observer of human behaviour, and is particularly adept at capturing the unique and peculiar speech patterns of the people she writes about.

This is one of the most satisfying collections of short stories I have ever read, given that it is not one of my favourite genres. 4.5 stars out of 5.

Secondly, Kiss the Girls, which is the second of James Patterson's Alex Cross novels, and involves Cross seeking to find a serial rapist and murderer, a collector of young and beautiful women. Cross has extra incentive on this occasion as one of the missing girls is his niece.

The novel is fast-paced, far-fetched, gratuitous in its violence and sexual depravity, and yet it is a typical crime procedural pages turner.

3 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
intelligentsiagirl
Currently Reading:

Read ...

COLD WARRIORS
WRITERS WHO WAGED THE LITERARY COLD WAR
Duncan White
HarperCollins Books, copyright 2019
Rzl19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rzl19 »

Cinder it's really nice Cinderella type with a twist.I love how the authors mind works.
Oliver_books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-books.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Oliver_books »

:techie-studyinggray: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Rating: 4 out of 4
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Hi there! I have recently finished reading Randy the Irresistible; my rating was 4 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed it!
intelligentsiagirl
Currently Reading:

Read ...

THE BASTARD BRIGADE
THE TRUE STORY of the RENEGADE SCIENTISTS AND SPIES WHO SABOTAGED THE NAZI ATOMIC BOMB
Sam Kean
Little Brown and Company, Hachette Book Group, copyright 2019

5/10

I should question books better when the book has a stub title of "a true story" within the title. Still, it was a minor interesting read.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I just finished the Spirit of Want by William H. Coles. 1 out of 4 stars.

Here's my review:

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=125661

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”