What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
LessJuanita79+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by LessJuanita79+ »

The Complete Essays of Mark Twain - Edited by Charles Neider -
sooo interesting...I am still in the process of reading. He started
working for a newspaper at age 10 - doing typesetting...and it
evolved into a career. He has convinced me that the writings of
Shakespeare were really done by Francis Bacon.

I give it a 4 out of 5 rating.
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

The last book I read was "City of Crows" by Chris Womersley. An original, highly entertaining read. Set in 17th century France, a newly widowed woman loses her son to kidnappers. The story is about witchcraft, and the descriptions of Paris are vivid and memorable. The instances of mistaken identity raise a smile, without detracting from the story.
I'd recommend it to anyone who loves a good historical read. 5/5
S_Mulla
Currently Reading: Tarnished
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mulla.html
Latest Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by S_Mulla »

The last book I read was Caraval by Stephanie Garner. It was a wonderful read and transported me into the world of magic. I rate this book a 5/5 and recommend it to all those who enjoy Fantasy.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Fran wrote: 19 Dec 2009, 08:55 Last book I read was The Garden of Last Days bt Andre Dubus III. A superb read and it's gets 10/10 from me.
For something completely different I have just started reading The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.
Hi Fran. Havent been on here for some time so I thought I should make an appearnce just to show Im still alive and kicking. I read the Graveyard Book a while back, its quite good more for young adults but you should enjoy it. I havent read much lately, I listened to an audio book not long ago, A Short History Of The Civil War by Bruce Catton. Without going into a lot of detail, it gives a fairly complete account of the war, the politics,the powers that were, how inept and stupid and how savvy some of them were. A great book if youre into history and that sort of thing.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Melavisa

Post by Melavisa »

The last book I read was On The Night of the seventh moon by Victoria holt.
I absolutely loved it. It's a story of love passion mystery adventure.
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

A novel doesn't need to be lengthy to relate a good story, to have something interesting and important to say or to draw great characters. And so it is with J L Carr's A Month In the Country, which is a mere 93 pages in length.

Published in 1980 and shortlisted for the Man Booker, it relates events in the early 1920s, in the direct aftermath of WWI.

Tom Birkin, physically and psychologically damaged in action at Passchendaele, comes to the village of Oxgodby to undertake the task of revealing and restoring a covered painting on the wall of the local church. Another damaged survivor of the war, Charles Moon, is similarly employed, under the terms of a will, to find the buried remains of a village ancestor.

The two become friends and confidants, up to a point, and Birkin especially is embraced by the locals, particularly the Ellerbeck family (the stationmaster) and Alice Keach, the beautiful wife of the local Vicar, the Rev. J G Keach. Birkin is even conscripted to umpire the local village cricket.

In this sparse novella, Carr has been able to capture the character and spirit of Oxgodsby and the idyllic and yet stifling nature of rural village life, tell a story about the hellish nature of war and its damaging consequences, and create a set of characters that are fascinating and fleshed out to a degree that many much longer works fail to achieve.

This is a fine and very engaging piece of writing that can be savoured over just a few sittings. 4 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Bmueller98

Post by Bmueller98 »

The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod
I give it a 100% because I love how it makes me feel like the character in the story.
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt

Post by Bighuey »

I listened to an audio book of horror stories read by Christopher Lee. Some were condensed but still very good. He read Dracula, Poe's Black Cat, The Man And The Snake by Ambrose Bierce and The Monkeys Paw. Lee's rendition was extremely scary and chilling, he was a master of horror in movies and in readings.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
nicole_d15
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-d15.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by nicole_d15 »

I just finished And Then I Met Margaret and gave it a 4 out of 4 rating. It was a great read. A real page turner that allowed great self reflection in your own life and how you're living.
adadwani1793
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by adadwani1793 »

The last book I read was the bonsborro Inn series by Bora Roberts. I absolutely loved all the three books. I love the way the author portrays multiple stories at the same time but also while not making it confusing. Like each character has traits that the reader could relate to and connect with.
I have read many of Nora Roberts books but this series is by far the best.
Charlie bruce

Post by Charlie bruce »

The last book I read was The start of me and you by Emery Lord. An excellent YA read that really makes you think. I give it 4/5 stars. :D
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

The Book of Mirrors by E.O. Chirovici - 10/10 - psychological thriller - complex and gripping
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

A Test of Wills by Charles Todd - it's the first book in the Ian Rutledge series. Although I liked the unexpected twist at the end, the story moved forward at a snail's pace. Most of the characters are unlikable and I stopped caring about what would happen. There is no tension in this murder mystery and I probably wouldn't have kept reading, except for the book being my book club's Feb. pick. Since this author is popular and has written about 20 books in this series, I can only assume the pace improved in his successive books.

3 out of 5
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

Redlegs wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 20:10 A novel doesn't need to be lengthy to relate a good story, to have something interesting and important to say or to draw great characters. And so it is with J L Carr's A Month In the Country, which is a mere 93 pages in length.

Published in 1980 and shortlisted for the Man Booker, it relates events in the early 1920s, in the direct aftermath of WWI.

Tom Birkin, physically and psychologically damaged in action at Passchendaele, comes to the village of Oxgodby to undertake the task of revealing and restoring a covered painting on the wall of the local church. Another damaged survivor of the war, Charles Moon, is similarly employed, under the terms of a will, to find the buried remains of a village ancestor.

The two become friends and confidants, up to a point, and Birkin especially is embraced by the locals, particularly the Ellerbeck family (the stationmaster) and Alice Keach, the beautiful wife of the local Vicar, the Rev. J G Keach. Birkin is even conscripted to umpire the local village cricket.

In this sparse novella, Carr has been able to capture the character and spirit of Oxgodsby and the idyllic and yet stifling nature of rural village life, tell a story about the hellish nature of war and its damaging consequences, and create a set of characters that are fascinating and fleshed out to a degree that many much longer works fail to achieve.

This is a fine and very engaging piece of writing that can be savoured over just a few sittings. 4 stars out of 5
That sounds an intriguing read. Not normally something I would pick up, but because it sounds very smilar to what happened to my own great grandfather in the Boer War (1899-1902), convalescing in England, I might give it a go.
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

I just finished reading A Touch of Dead by Charlaine Harris, because I recently re-read the Sookie Stackhouse series and this book was kind of a short shory companion. I'd say 3 out of 4 stars, because the stories are quick, fun, and happily focus on familiar characters.

Not a perfect 4/4 because I felt the events of one storyline were kind of at odds with the main character's personality.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”