What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ktwills79
Currently Reading: Mistress Bradstreet
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktwills79.html
Latest Review: The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter by Jordan David
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Ktwills79 »

I am just wrapping up Mistress Bradstreet: The Untold Life of America's First Poet (a biography about Anne Bradstreet) by Charlotte Gordon, and it is SO good! Definitely a 5 out of 5.

It really brings her to life, and while I'm sure some of it is speculation, the author did so much research that you feel as if she knew Anne personally. Plus, since Anne was a writer herself, there are a lot of records as to how she felt about events in her life and what was going on politically at the time. I highly recommend!
sashsen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sashsen.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by sashsen »

Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
A well written book with some good characters, ultimately let down by a weak story line. I was expecting a far greater read. My rating is 2 out of 4, as it was a struggle to get through and left me frustrated.
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

I just read Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner. It was a really engaging murder mystery. I gave it 4 stars.
[Arun Bohra]
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by [Arun Bohra] »

The last book I read was Fix Your Problems. It was amazing. I give it 4 stars out of 4.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

The last book I read was One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus. I would rate 4/4. This book was such an emotional rollercoaster. Set in 1875, it tells the fictional story of May Dodd and her journey from an insane asylum, where she was placed by her family for having children out of wedlock, to becoming the bride of Cheyenne Chief Little Wolf. She writes of her daily life with the Cheyenne tribe, learning a new and completely different culture. There is adventure, war, and hardship. There is also an overwhelming theme of family, togetherness, and accepting those other from yourself.

It is a wonderful book, but fair warning, perhaps not for the faint of heart!
reader699
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74

Post by reader699 »

Last I read Super High Way and I rated 3/4 stars due to its good features
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

Wedding Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke. My rating was 4 out of 4 stars.
DeborahCupples
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DeborahCupples »

One of the last ones I read was the James Comey book. Obviously, it's told from his point of view, but it's interesting, and the writing style made the book a breeze to read. 4.5 out of 5
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

Letters to my ex is a love novel by Nikita Singh.

In the book the author explains the entire love story of Nidhi and Abhay in the medium of letters. I really loved reading it and rate it 4 stars.
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

I just finished reading The wall and the wing by Laura Ruby. Its a story of two orphan children and their struggle to find their biological parents. I enjoyed reading it and I would give the book a rating of 4 out 4.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
rockandroll
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 772">Bleak House</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by rockandroll »

I just finished up Good Trouble, a collection of short stories by the Pen/Faulkner award winning author, Joseph O'Neill. I give it 3.5/5.

Great writer, dry comedy, character driven, and highlights included a story about poets being upset that Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for writing.

A few of the stories seemed repetitive.

I recommend it.
syamimihafezey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by syamimihafezey »

Angela ashes. This is a great book that brings you back in the old days in Irish and in the point of view of the author itself. While reading the book i feel as if im living in the story :techie-studyingbrown: i rate this book 7/10
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer was one for the kids - not really my thing. Mildly amusing, moderately entertaining, lack-lustre and slap dash in its plot and character development and just a tad too corny.

A low 3 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
catherinecsoto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherinecsoto.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by catherinecsoto »

My Trip To Adele - 1/5 stars.

I just didn’t like it as a whole. The plot. The characters. Even the format. I really felt like I wasted my time reading it.
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

The last book I read was 'The Princess Diarist' by the late Carrie Fisher which was quite insightful and emotional given her recent passing. I grew up watching Star Wars and only came to know of her struggles with bipolar disorder and drugs in my adult life, but it did not diminish my love for her. The book is written in a diary format and is almost lucid in its style. It gives a great window into Carrie's thought processes and relationships while working on Star Wars as well as how she was coping with newfound fame. I will not post any spoilers but it is a must for any of her fans, I would give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”