What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Pauliny12
Currently Reading: From drift to shift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauliny12.html
Latest Review: Sigfried's Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Pauliny12 »

I just joined the review team and selected Sigfried's Smelly Socks! by Len Foley. I selected this short children's book for my first read with the club to become acquainted with the post/update/review topics. I rated this 3 out of 4 stars for excellence. The book won the Mom's Choice Award and was very well designed, entertaining and educational for all age groups to appreciate.
Jaemiskewes88
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jaemiskewes88 »

I am on the 7th round of reading Rachel Caines Morganville vampire Series, right now I am halfway through the second book- Dead Girls Dance. I love all the books, they are printed in a way that is easy to read and flows well. It is easy to understand what is going on and who is who. The imagination is very reachable and palatable. The covers are beautifully done, attractive and unique. Although dark, the books reach out to an alternative younger audience who revel in the likes of supernatural and gothic. It's packed with young love, humor, adventure, science and magick. Very suitable for young adults and vampire enthusiasts. I always return to these books as a bread and butter, there really trigger my imagination and allow me to create my own versions of characters... my favourite part!
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

The last book I read was The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings...I gave it 3 stars.
Faith Atieno okoth
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-atieno-okoth.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Faith Atieno okoth »

"Sigfried's smelly socks" by Len Foley
Olublitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olublitz.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Olublitz »

I just read Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas. I give it a 3/5. It was very informative on the metal cadmium and its poisonous effects in our bloodstream but it didn't bring the story to life for me.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I just finished That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.
tonee617
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tonee617 »

The last book i've read was the last installment book of This man. my rating is 4/5.
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

I have just finished Åsa Larsson's latest crime thriller, The Second Deadly Sin. I enjoyed the storyline, as well as the further development of the recurring characters from her previous books. My only fault with it would be that it is a little lighter than usual on the crime detection and suspense.
4/5
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

Last book I've read is the very famous Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. My rating for it would be 4.5/5. It was an amazing experience. The book was incredibly well written. I've learned a ton of vocabulary and it was quite a pleasurable read.
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole (3/4)

Love this thread!
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

I really liked The Glass Canoe by David Ireland (winner of the 1976 Miles Franklin Award), and I feel that I have discovered another great Australian writer whose work I have not read before.

But I do wonder about the breadth of its appeal today. Firstly, I can't imagine that many women would enjoy this novel, with its blue-collar male environment set in the front bar of a rough pub where the only women welcome are barmaids and prostitutes.

Secondly, I wonder if anyone but an Australian, or perhaps a British man, could relate to this tale of booze and skiting that is so quintessentially Australian in its character.

And thirdly, I wonder whether anyone born after the 1960s would recognise, or find believable, the hotel environment that Ireland describes, which has now all but disappeared except maybe in a few backstreet pubs in working class suburbs.

None of this is to diminish or any way denigrate the fabulous quality of Ireland's spare, visceral and sinewy prose and the brilliance with which he has captured the ambience, culture and glorious characters of the time and place of which he writes.

Ireland sets his novel in the Southern Cross Hotel in a working class suburb of Sydney. The characters who inhabit this pub, seemingly for many hours a day on most days of the week, are true boozers, who love to travel in their imaginations to places unknown via their glass canoes (beer glasses).

The story is narrated by Meat Man (real name Lance), whose nickname is a none too subtle reference to the alleged size of his manhood. Through a series of very short chapters, Meat Man introduces the reader to the multitude of characters he drinks with and describes some of the crazy escapades and shenanigans they get up to, both inside and outside the bar.

If I had one complaint about the many excesses described in this story, it would be about the female characters. By today's standards, it is probably misogynistic, certainly disrespectful and demeaning. But it can be argued that Ireland captured, fairly accurately, the attitudes of the time (1970s) amongst this class of males.

But the scenes involving sex were generally exaggerated to the point of being comically grotesque, and virtually all women were portrayed as being voracious, kinky and insatiable.

But this is a novel worthy of a major literary award, despite my reservations about the breadth of its relevance in the 21st century.

Ireland sums up beautifully the world these men are content to inhabit, despite any disdain from more genteel elements of society, in the novel's penultimate paragraph.

"I went to the bar to get us some more glass canoes to take us where we wanted to go. I thought of the tribes across Australia, each with its waterhole, its patch of bar, its standing space, its beloved territory. It was a great life."

4 stars, on the cusp of 4.5 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Riya Chandra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Riya Chandra »

The last book i have read is the Invisible Man by H.G. Well.
It's a decent science fiction. Good to read. I give it 4/5 stars
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

A collection of stories by M.R. James, he was known as the father of modern ghost stories. Some were really creepy, especially The Wailing Well and A Vignette. A Vignette is supposed to be an experience of his when he was a child about a haunted wood near his home. Reading it kind of made chills go up and down my spine. Great reading for late at night and if you want to be creeped out.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

I just finished American River Tributaries Book One in the America River Trilogy. I enjoyed the book even though at times it was confusing as to what character I was reading about. I give it a 3 out of 4 stars.
P.S. It may have been hard to get into I am hooked at this point. Want to read book two and three
blue4t
Currently Reading: It Had to Be You (Christiansen Family #2)
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blue4t.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01KXJ70YQ

Post by blue4t »

Places No One Knows by Brenna Yovanoff 3.5/5 stars
It is a tad different than your typical YA novel.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”