What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Mai Tran »

Nicole_Boyd wrote: 14 May 2019, 00:44 The last book I read was called The Altitude Journals by David J. Mauro. I have it a 4 out of 4 it was so good. It’s an autobiography about the author climbing the 7 tallest mountains of the world.
It's such a good book. It's my current favorite.
pomapplelump
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pomapplelump »

The last book I’ve finished reading was The Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez. It wasn’t the most well-written book in the world, but it was fun and introduced me to a culture I’d never thought about before. I was going to give it a 3/5 on Goodreads, but then I saw other reviewers mention how her book not only endangered the women who appeared in the book (I think all she did was change their names, which wasn’t enough), she also didn’t share any money her book made with the beauty school even though she promised to do just that. So, 2/5, which is honestly still might be a bit too generous.
Rizzadelacruz_19

Post by Rizzadelacruz_19 »

The last book I read was silent night by Natasha Preston. I rate it 5 out of 10 because it was very short,(90 pages long) it was the most uninteresting book of the series even though it it’s the last one and and it just overall wasn’t that good of a book.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

The Siege of Krishnapur by J G Farrell, winner of the 1973 Man Booker prize, is a story of adventure and behaviour under conditions of extreme hardship, set in India in 1857.

The sepoys who served the British army rebelled in response to rumours that bullet cartridge cases, which they were required to bite as part of loading a rifle, were smeared with beef or pork fat, which caused severe distress to Hindus and Muslims. And so the British settlement at Krishnapur came under severe and prolonged siege.

The compound at Krishnapur was occupied by a range of civil and military men, often accompanied by female family members (wives, daughter and sisters) as well as some Indian servants and locals.

As the siege wore on, food became severely scarce, ammunition for staving off the relentless attacks diminished to the point where cannon were loaded with household objects, and illness, including a severe outbreak of cholera, killed even more than the attacking sepoys, the spirits of the camp diminished to a low ebb. Some became despondent while others rose to the challenge and responded positively to the hardship.

Through a range of characters of both sexes, of varied ages and backgrounds, Farrell explores a number of curious side subjects, such as the causes and treatment of cholera, the curious phenomenon of phrenology and the British Great Exhibition of a few years earlier.

This is a really good adventure tale, related with an appropriate mix of gravitas and humour, sometimes sublime and other times bordering on the ridiculous, that passes comment on the nature of colonialisation and the blending and/or conflict of cultures.

4 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Sanusi Yahuza
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Sanusi Yahuza »

You mean here, at Amazon, at school, at home or where ? The last book I read was written in vernacular. And I did rate it 5/5.
starkpages
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starkpages.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by starkpages »

Last book I read was The Bride Test by Helen Hoang, a romance/contemporary book. It was a 5-star read for me. I love how she gave the readers a glimpse of Vietnamese culture. There was also an autism rep which I loved because underrepresented minorities should be recognized as well.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I finished Seanan McGuire's Middlegame and I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.

I honestly don't know how to put it into words? It's a big story, and (if she gets the chance to write the follow up) I think it's going to be even bigger.
Resetting time, math, language, chaos and order. Baby godlings growing up human...
Alchemy.

It's so dark, and heavy, and yet still calls out to (I believe) so many people's childhoods, in the best way.

It's kind of like The Wizard of Oz set in the 'real world' by way of a much darker road, where the wizard only wants to use you. Or just kill you and use you for your parts.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 22 May 2019, 06:08 I finished Seanan McGuire's Middlegame and I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.

I honestly don't know how to put it into words? It's a big story, and (if she gets the chance to write the follow up) I think it's going to be even bigger.
Resetting time, math, language, chaos and order. Baby godlings growing up human...
Alchemy.

It's so dark, and heavy, and yet still calls out to (I believe) so many people's childhoods, in the best way.

It's kind of like The Wizard of Oz set in the 'real world' by way of a much darker road, where the wizard only wants to use you. Or just kill you and use you for your parts.
Sounds good! It is on my reading list. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Great question!
I just finished reading and reviewing From Drift to Shift by Jody B. Miller. I'm sure several people on this platform have read this book; it seems to be a popular one I see a lot. I gave it 3 out of 4 stars. It would have got a perfect score from me, but there were grammatical errors and some downfalls, like not giving dates of events and referring to her massage therapist as a masseuse! As a LMT myself, I was slightly offended (kidding!) People still use that term all the time, and I just gently correct by making a joke out of it. Anyway, the book was amazing! I felt inspired and the stories were extremely personable. I also enjoyed the layout of the overall text: inserted quotations, side blurbs on the story, and how she weaved her own shift into the book.

I know Miller has wrote another book called HIRED!. I was interested in reading that one since I loved this one so much. When I checked on Goodreads there were zero reviews. :/ Not such a good sign. Has anyone read this one by her?
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Roffthus. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars as it is the best high fantasy novel I have read in ages. It could be read in one sitting, and grips you from page one!
Vasilees
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vasilees.html
Latest Review: Melissa & Kasho by Camilla Chance

Post by Vasilees »

I read Melissa & Kasho by Camilla Chance. Great book! Not a very long read, but it's got a lot of messages to absorb, and it's an enjoyable read. I gave it a 3 out of 4.
__thasneem__

Post by __thasneem__ »

The midnightside by sidney sheldon. I give it 3/5
Razor_sharp003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B07NGHJX3F

Post by Razor_sharp003 »

The last book I read was "The Unhoneymooners" by Christina Lauren and I rated it 3.5/5 since it was well written and hilarious but also kinda predictable.
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

The Centenary Edition of Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain, published in 1918 to honour the end of the Great War 100 years previously, has probably rekindled interest in this wonderful record of the hardships endured by a young woman whose life ambitions were interrupted and reshaped by the outbreak of this mighty world conflict.

This 'testament' is rightly acknowledged as an intelligent and insightful perspective on the impacts of war on an ambitious but naively inexperienced young woman, who lost four of the men she loved the most as casualties of this cruel and wasteful war.

At the outbreak of war in 1914, Vera was on the cusp of an academic future at Oxford (hard won given her father's opposition to women's education), and in the early stages of a chaste romance with Roland, her first love.

After beginning her studies, Vera felt compelled to make a greater contribution, and got into nursing as a VAD (effectively a volunteer lackey doing all the dirty jobs). After some time in English hospitals, Vera was finally able to serve overseas, first in Malta and then in France, dealing with wounded and severely maimed young men, both Allied soldiers and German prisoners.

Brittain resumed her academic studies after the war with a view to becoming a journalist and writer, which she achieved after some early struggles. She mixed with many other young women of similar inclination and was an early feminist and supporter of women's suffrage.

After the early loss of her beloved Roland, Vera was convinced she would never marry and have children, but she eventually met and married George Catlin (referred to in the text simply as G) in 1925, and they had two children.

The book is remarkable, not just for its depiction of the war years (1914 - 1918), but for its coverage of that period directly afterwards, as England struggled to recover from the loss of so many of its young men, and yet the efforts of those who served, including women such as Vera who gave so much and so unselfishly, were offered little gratitude by the nation that used them so cruelly.

4.5 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Prankz87
Currently Reading: The Business Owner's Guide to Financial Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prankz87.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Prankz87 »

The last book i read is Mythic worlds and the one you can believe in.

I am actually a newbie here in onlinebookclub and i never expect that this would be my first ever book to review. I have nothing against the book. The book is incredibly awesome i actually rate it as a 4 out of 4. It's just that the book is very complex and powerful because it covers a lot of things, and arguments about the universe, philosophy, natural history, religion and evolution that makes me really into it.

Makes my mind process to the limits. :eusa-think:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”