What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Salah bourouba »

just finished reading Voulhire by matthew snytsz, i rated it 3 out of 4, even though it was interesting it needed some improvements
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Souad Al Nabulsi
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-souad-al-nabulsi.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Souad Al Nabulsi »

The last book I read was Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer. It was an interesting and highly informative book about business and investment. had a lot of valuable advices. I rate it 4 out of 4 because I really enjoyed every part of it.
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 756
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 88: Beloved by Toni Morrison. This narration reminded me of Faulkner, and the story would also fit into this comparison, but with the added supernatural component.
Thus, this book accomplishes a monumental task of inspiring compassion, outrage, and fear for the characters in the story. I had not read such a combination before, so I am pleasantly satisfied. I want to read more of the author's books to see if he accomplishes this feat again, and since this book has sequels, I promise to read them in the future. Remain pending.
It's not very scary, more than anything it's indignation that I felt at the racial outrages due to the condition of the protagonists, but the paranormal element is well structured and credible.
I recommend it for those who appreciate horror stories and read Faulkner or the like. 4/5
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 89: A monster calls by Patrick Ness. Too depressing for my liking, but I suppose it could be used to help the little ones cope with the death of someone close to them. Although the ending somewhat contradicts all the work that had been done up to that point with the child protagonist. What's a self-help book doing on my horror list? A bit ironic confusion, to tell the truth.
What I didn't like is that it looked for easy tears with a bunch of pathetic situations, I think it would have been different if I had looked for this book because I needed it and not because of a mistake in the genre (which wouldn't have happened either because self-help books are not literature for me and I never read them willingly).
So read it with this warning. 3/5
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 90: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell. Very good, with gothic touches and a chilling curse inside an ancient castle. A good horror book that leaves you hooked from start to finish.
The time jumps helped create the suspense, and the castle with its silent companions set the terrifying setting for the hidden rooms and their contents.
It's been a while since I read a story with so many elements of my preference, I liked it a lot.
Of course, after reading so many horror stories, there is almost nothing that seems new to me, and although this book has some clichés of the genre, especially with the final twist (which could be seen coming from a distance), I so appreciated the novelty of the silent companions that I could overlook these trifles.
I recommend it to lovers of the genre, with a good cup of your favorite hot drink and a lamp to read at night. 4/5
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

The last book I read was- Before the Coffee Gets Cold. It's by a Japanese author and had a unique plotline. It involves time travelling to the past without changing the present in a peculiar cafe. It's a story about regrets and choices. It made me cry on several pages and appreciate life.
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 91: Full Throttle by Joe Hill. This set of short stories seemed very good to me, with new ideas and enough suspense to enter the horror genre. The turn of some stories towards the dark side of the conclusion seemed very remarkable to me, as in the tale of the faun, others, specifically the ones he wrote with his father, seemed clichéd and full of commonplaces. I guess it's hard to get out of another author's shadow when you're his son, but I really liked his own stories a lot better, so I look forward to reading more from this author in the future.
I found the prologue totally unnecessary explaining how much it had cost to be published on his account being the son of who he was. Man, getting published is difficult, it's normal that it cost you. But I forgive him for the interesting stories he wrote and they couldn't find a publisher. Clear evidence that it is better to be a freelance writer and forget about publishers if you want to reach a larger audience. Thank you for that information and incentive.
Anyway, I recommend it to everyone who likes suspense with unexpected twists, you won't regret it. 4/5
Lauren_Lewis
Currently Reading: Beren and Lúthien
Bookshelf Size: 700
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-lewis.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lauren_Lewis »

Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy by Cassandra Clare (and some others), which I rated a 4/5. I loved the Mortal Instruments series and it made sense to read this sort-of-sequel. I really enjoyed it, just preferred some parts and stories more than others.
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 92: Fever Dream by Samanta Schewblin. In terms of narration, this work stands out despite its brevity. The dialogue in the first and second person is a great achievement (difficult to achieve) that cannot be left aside, and the daydreaming with various symbols that unite the story serves for further analysis.
If something fails, perhaps, it is in the plot that does not finish tying up all the loose ends, although it does the most important, and ends abruptly. The characters are not fully developed either due to the mystery that surrounds them and manages to create some suspense, although not terror.
In any case, the narration is the most attractive point of the book and only for it is worth a second reading. 4/5
Jay Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-peter.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Jay Peter »

I just finished reading CHAMPAGNE WIDOWS A Novel by Rebecca Rosenberg. My rating was 4/4.
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 93: Dark Matter by Michelle Pavel. This book was more sentimental than what I thought.
I'm glad for a long of things in the end and very heartbroken for others. So all in all, the characters were attractive enough to make me moved and concerned for their well beings. And that's what keep the interest of the reader, I think.
The story is pretty generic, with and expedition on the subzero lands going all kinds of wrongs, and with a paranormal entity haunting them. But once you get hooked up with the characters you can't stop reading, so I liked this book very much.
Recommend it to all that like the horror genre and a little drama. 5/5
Charlotte Marie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-marie.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Charlotte Marie »

The last book I read was the first part of the We are Voulhire series and I gave it a 4 out of 4 stars.
Karlabchu
Currently Reading:

Post by Karlabchu »

Book 94: Pet Sematary by Stephen King. I really liked the atmosphere of terror that is described in the last chapters. The beginning does seem a bit long because of the details that need to be known to achieve the outcome, so persevere in the first part and the end will not disappoint you.
Like most stories by this author, I don't quite like this book. The usual component of my displeasure was there, I've explained that before, but this sick scene seems to haunt the children in this author's stories and I don't like it. Some winks to his other books such as Salem's lot, which the character of Rachel wisely passed over (uff) and to Cujo's tragedy caused me some amusement.
So I recommend it as reading for when you don't have anything better to read. And before we get to this one, there are a lot of good horror books. 4/5
z3ro
Currently Reading: Binge
Bookshelf Size: 89

Post by z3ro »

"Halloween Season" by Lucy A. Snyder! A collection of really well-written short stories, all with creepy and twisted elements. 4 out of 4 stars for me! It was the perfect book to read leading up to Halloween.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

The last book I read was We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies and I have it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”