What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
nessiesity
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by nessiesity »

The last book I've read is Mirror Image by Danielle Steel. I would give it 4/5. Really interesting story written from two perspectives from the main characters. Though I felt the comparison between the twins were kind of redundant. But still, what a whirlwind of romance that was.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

The last book I read was The Foxhole Court by Nora Sakavic and I quite liked it. It's centred around this fictional sport called Exy and has a diverse pool of characters. I gave it four out of five stars on Goodreads.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Time Traders by Andre (actually Alice Mary) Norton, first published in 1958, is a combination of science fiction, space travel. time travel and good old-fashioned American-Russian Cold War propaganda.

Set in the early 21st century (about now), a group of American operatives travel back in time to around 1200 BC in what was ancient Britain to seek out what technological marvels it seems the Russians may have stumbled upon.

Norton has fashioned an adventure tale, set in multiple locations, planets and periods in global history. There is the usual violence, resilience against the odds, fortunate coincidences and lucky guesses, American superiority over the Russians and alien species in what is designed to be a feel good romp.

But the writing is very uneven and quite fanciful at times. Norton has at times spent pages on the trivial, and then glossed over major events. Some of the scenes involving mammoths and sabre-toothed tigers and the like are unconvincing, and much of the dialogues is, well, corny.

A fair effort, but well short of the best science fiction from this golden age of the genre.

3.5 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
naturalmama81
Currently Reading: Different
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naturalmama81.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by naturalmama81 »

Just this week I finished reading Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh, M.D. I submitted my review this morning (my first one!) and gave it 4 out of 4 stars. Very informational read.
TRACYTIF
Favorite Book: The Elegance of the Hedgehog
Currently Reading: Painting with Words
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by TRACYTIF »

Us Against You by Fredrick Bachman. This is by the author of A Man Called Ove, which I loved. I would rate this book4/5. It is a unique, quirky tale which was fun to read, about a town out in the forested boonies called Beartown. Most members of the town take a part of their identity from ice hockey - the town's team, games and individual members. The story is really about people who do not fit in and the various emotional reactions by themselves and others to these feelings and how most of them, by the end of the story, maybe for only a day, overcame their fears of difference. The reason I did not give 5 stars was that I felt the author was unnecessarily redundant numerous times during the book. Otherwise it is a gem.
TalonFox
Currently Reading: Project ELE
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talonfox.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by TalonFox »

The last book that I read was Charles Lindbergh's biography, it was an amazing. The writing is great and I was especially captivated by his struggles in finding a company to fund his single engine plane. Fast forwarding to his struggles of staying awake over almost 34 hours.
A fun fact was how he crafted his own shoes out of pieces of thin leather to lower the weight of everything, and ended up getting frostbite on his feet! He sure was dedicated. :lol2:
Outlawm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Outlawm »

The last book I completed was Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton. Historical fiction is my favorite genre and this book had me googling facts on Cuba and Fidel Castro’s takeover. The storyline brought a romance to the heartbreak of events.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

The latest book I've completed is Herai by Aaron D. Key. I've posted a review on it in the Volunteer Reviews section. It's actually really good, I gave it 3 out of 4 stars. A little slow or stilted in places, but once it picked up, it was really interesting. The characters fascinated me at times and the themes were awesome.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

My most recent book is The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater. I only give it 3 out of 4 stars because it's lacking some depth that really ties the story together for me.
Maureen Refior
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maureen-refior.html
Latest Review: A Life Naive by Oliver Phipps

Post by Maureen Refior »

I just finished A Life Naive by Oliver Phipps. I gave it 2/4 stars. I like the idea behind it, but the execution was pretty bad, with grammatical errors, typos, bad or missing punctuation, and really awkward and stilted writing. I was disappointed; I really wanted to like it, because I have read so many glowing reviews of that author's work. I don't know, maybe I'm just too picky about stuff like, you know, proper grammar and usage.... :roll:
Akinsemoyin Adeola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinsemoyin-adeola.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Akinsemoyin Adeola »

A loaf of bread by Rana Bitar, I rated it a 4 out of 4 stars
Kajal Dhamija
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajal-dhamija.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Kajal Dhamija »

Law of success by Napoleon Hill. Of course, the book doesn't need any introduction. Reading roughly 900 pages is beneficial only and only if the 16 laws mentioned in the book are followed. Rating: 5/5 ⭐
Gargi Chouksey
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gargi-chouksey.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Gargi Chouksey »

My last read was "The White Tiger" by Aravind Adiga
The book was a page-turner. It had a sarcastic tone which made it even fun to read.
I would like to rate it 4 out of 4
monikelldell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monikelldell.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by monikelldell »

Shay Carter's Randy Love...at your service.

I gave it three out of four stars, generally loved it :D a fun, easy read, definitely recommend.
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by han87 »

Xenogenesis trilogy by Octavia Butler. 4 out of 4 stars. I'm always impressed by her storytelling.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”