What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Sabina13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Sabina13 »

The last book that i finished was "Room number six" by Anton Chekov. A russian writer' s little novel impressed me a lot. My rate 5 star from 5. When i finished book i felt myself in that room. So philosophic and makes you think about the society that you are living.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

My last book was Mythic worlds and the one you can Believe In by Harold Toliver, I rated it 3/4. It was a slightly provocative book and a real immense undertaking by the author, a Professor of English and Comparative literature. The book combines philosophy, science, and literature, while borrowing specific materials from history, physics, astrophysics, astronomy, geology, evolutionary biology and anthropology.
It was not an easy read and definitely not easy to review. I recommend it for the knowledge value as Toliver referenced over 500 books in this work and even quotes liberally from them.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Jordyn177

Post by Jordyn177 »

The last book I read is Murder as a Fine Art by David Morrell. I gave it 5/5 stars.
Fuad Mahyoub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuad13.html
Latest Review: The last Assassination by James E Doucette

Post by Fuad Mahyoub »

The last Assassination by James E.Doucette. I rated it 3 out of 4.
Nei_reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nei-reads.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nei_reads »

The last book that I read was Lone Eagle by Danielle Steel. I adore books on Romance and I give this one a 9/10. Definitely a must read once you've got a box of tissues on the side.
Vic Man Izah

Post by Vic Man Izah »

The panther by Nelson Demille an interesting thriller 5/5
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indridason is another in what seems to be an extensive line of Scandinavian crime novels that are so popular these days. In this case, we have an Icelandic novel that investigates the discovery of some bones found in an excavation at a new housing estate, that appear to have been in the ground around 60 - 70 years.

Inspector Erlandur and his team take on this cold case with few initial clues as to whom the skeleton might be and why it is buried here. This leads to an examination of events in Iceland during the Second World War, when initially British and then American forces were stationed in the area as part of the Allied effort against Germany.

The mystery of the bones is eventually revealed in a sympathetic and touching manner.

This is a novel that, in my opinion, improved as it progressed. What started out as a reasonably standard, not particularly eloquent crime mystery evolved into a story that was more intense, meaningful and fulfilling. The interplay between the current events, mostly involving Erlandur's family, and the sometimes horrific and heartbreaking events of the war years, created a satisfying novel with atmosphere, depth, empathy and a set of characters worth caring about.

Not quite 4 stars - I will give it 3.5 out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
rockandroll
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 772">Bleak House</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by rockandroll »

I just finished "Asymmetry", Lisa Halliday's debut novel. She is a powerful author, great writer.

The book is divided into three sections. The first section is about an aspiring female author who enters into a relationship with an older award winning author. The second section is about an Iraqi immigrant. The third section shows the older award winning author from the first section doing an interview.

The title is very important. Don't want to go into any spoilers.

This novel reminded me of Philip Roth a bit.

I give this novel 4/5. I definitely recommend it.
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

I just finished "Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done" by Larry Bossidy and Ram Charan" and I am rating it 4 out of 4 stars. This book is a no frills business classic in my own opinion.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Toni the Superhero by R.D Base 4 out of 4 stars.
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

rockandroll wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 12:11 I just finished "Asymmetry", Lisa Halliday's debut novel. She is a powerful author, great writer.

The book is divided into three sections. The first section is about an aspiring female author who enters into a relationship with an older award winning author. The second section is about an Iraqi immigrant. The third section shows the older award winning author from the first section doing an interview.

The title is very important. Don't want to go into any spoilers.

This novel reminded me of Philip Roth a bit.

I give this novel 4/5. I definitely recommend it.
That sounds very interesting- I will add it to my list.

gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

"14" by Peter Clines, 4 out of 4 stars!

A group of tenants investigates the mysteries of their apartment building. There is humor, weird occurrences, references to Scooby-Doo movies, and quite a bit of action, especially towards the end. It gets darker toward the end, but it isn't too scary.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

I simply loved A Woman of the Future by David Ireland, a unique and controversial Australian novel, winner of the 1979 Miles Franklin Award.

The titular woman of the future is Alathea Hunt, and her story is told in the first person, presented as a series of notes or diary entries, documenting the life of this remarkable girl from conception to the age of sixteen.

Alathea is an unusual and intense girl, not always particularly likable, with plenty to say. She is highly intelligent, athletic and healthy, and is a high achiever at school both academically and in various sports. But she is brash, questioning and challenging, has many visions about what her adult life might be like (her withdrawn mother insisted from the beginning that Alathea would be someone special), and she has little tolerance of others.

And, when she reaches a certain age, she experiments with sex - relentlessly and indiscriminately. It is the extensive and frank sexual content that makes the novel so controversial and distasteful to some.

Alathea's descriptions of her sexual encounters are mostly matter-of-fact, bleak, detailed and anything but titillating. She is mostly emotionally removed from what is happening to her body.

Despite her sexual proclivity, what Alathea wants, and cannot find, is love. She just wants to feel loved, and when she finally feels something that might just be love, she considers it an illness. Ultimately, Alathea scorns boys and the whole male race, except for her father.

Alathea Hunt might be precocious, promiscuous, occasionally intolerant, but at heart she is like every other girl striving to grow up to womanhood, understand life and its challenges, dealing with doubts and trying to understand her place in a world that is still dominated by stupid men.

And certainly, Alathea Hunt is not easily forgettable. She is a literary character that will stay with me for a long time.

I found this novel, written in the 1970s, at the tail end of the first wave of radical feminism, just as relevant in today's #MeToo world.

5 stars out of 5

Kibet90

Post by Kibet90 »

The last book read is "The river between" by Chinua Achebe and rated it 8/ 10 stars
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

I recently finished Goddesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves: Women in Classical Antiquity by Susan B. Pomeroy. It is really well researched. Using the OBC scale, I'd give it 4/4 stars.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”