What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
eddyokoth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddyokoth.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by eddyokoth »

who told you that you were naked was my last book for sure was really inspired
Kingsway
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsway.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kingsway »

Randy Love at your service by Shay Carter,I rated it 3 out of 4,thus I recommend you to try reading it and find out how interesting it is.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Just finished up Oak Eternal by John Ploetz. I'd give it a 3 out 4. Very interesting concepts, but a lot of grammatical mistakes.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Jean Rhys' 1966 acclaimed novel, The Wide Sargasso Sea, finally gives voice and substance to the 'mad woman' in Jane Eyre, Rochester's first wife, Bertha Mason.

This novel identifies the mysterious woman as a young Creole West Indian, Antoinette Cosway, who grew up with a confused identity in a world that hovered between whites, many of whom were slave owners, and the local indigenous population.

Rochester is never named in The Wide Sargasso Sea, so the links to Jane Eyre are not immediately apparent. The link is only made more explicit in the short third part of the novel when Antoinette, whom Rochester chooses to call Bertha, is locked away in the far wing of the house in England.

The first two parts, narrated by the young woman and the confused Englishman, are set in a lush and verdant Jamaica, where both have their difficulties with the culture. The prose is lush, elegant and stylish, and Rhys has used her knowledge of the West Indies to capture its landscape, climate, culture and folklore in a rich and evocative manner.

The story is one of uncertainty, mistrust and sadness, with strong overtones of local superstitions and black magic. There are many wonderful characters, none less so than the protective and slightly mysterious servant Christophine.

This is a quite fascinating and enchanting novel that can be well enjoyed in its own right, even if you know nothing of Bronte's Jane Eyre.

4 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

My last book review was "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman. I found over 20 typos/errors in the book, but I gave it 3 out of 4 stars anyway because I enjoyed it so much. Read my review here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=55410
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
Juparker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Juparker »

The last book I read was "The Dead-Tossed Waves" by Carrie Ryan.
I would give it a 5/5. Once I started reading it I couldn't put it down
celestechangu

Post by celestechangu »

I am getting into the sixth chapter of dead fix. Not what i would normally read but i think i love the play of characters and the unfolding of their roles in the plots. The HOSS and all. It's something i would read upto the last page just because i want to know what's next but more out of curiosity than intrigued.
jamllahawit
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker

Post by jamllahawit »

We Were Liars, great book. Confused in the beggining but shooked at the end. Amazing
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nfdaniel85 »

Fully, I just finished re-reading A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and it's a solid 8/10

I'm currently re-reading/listening to Golden Age by James Maxwell, and it's a 10/10 for me. Simon Vance's narration is phenomenal. I have to read the series again so I can appreciate the 4th book that just came out.
Empress naria
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empress-naria.html
Latest Review: Keys to Tetouan by Mois Benarroch

Post by Empress naria »

Last book read is that place of knowledge I rated it 1 out of 4 star because it had so many mistakes. I was like who wrote this book then I found out it was an autistic person. And my heart broke
RainaBlaise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by RainaBlaise »

The last book I read was Night Music: nocturnes volume 2 by John Connolly. I would give it a 4/5 because it was exciting, enticing, and it had an excellent storyline, but at times it was hard to follow. I found it as a needed change from my usual readings of young adult fiction.
Harrygx3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrygx3.html
Latest Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy

Post by Harrygx3 »

The last book I read was Raven's Peak, I gave it a 3 out of 4 stars^^.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Fifty One Tales by Lord Dunsany. Strange other-worldly stories but well written and held my attention. Dunsany was one of the authors who influenced H. P. Lovecraft.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
innah96
Currently Reading: How A Good Person Can Really Win
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innah96.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by innah96 »

I just finished Ready Player One, and my rating is 4 out of 4.
Lovely read, if you like the 1980s , but also the future virtual reality world.
aesthetix

Post by aesthetix »

I recently finished reading Herman Hesse's Demian. I give it a strong 4.5/5. Great characters, deeply psychological, you can definitely see the influence of Jung and also the effect of the Great War on the author. Highly recommended

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”