What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The last book I read was 'The Unbound Soul' by Richard L. Haight. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. I greatly enjoyed reading it and I have gained a lot from the book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I finished Bird Box and quite enjoyed it!

Getting information only from characters who can't open their eyes is oddly interesting, and makes for some fun shocks!

I gave it a 3 out of 4, only because of a few things that seemed a bit off/unrealistic (even for a world where people can't look outside for fear of the creatures).
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 15 Mar 2019, 05:24 I finished Bird Box and quite enjoyed it!

Getting information only from characters who can't open their eyes is oddly interesting, and makes for some fun shocks!

I gave it a 3 out of 4, only because of a few things that seemed a bit off/unrealistic (even for a world where people can't look outside for fear of the creatures).
I am glad to hear you enjoyed it. I liked the book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

"All the Beautiful Lies" by Peter Swanson, 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed it but found it less good than his other books.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Nightwood by Djuna Barnes was a major disappointment. I just didn't get it - I spent the whole novel wondering what it was trying to say to me.

Ostensibly about the lives of three lesbians, Robin, Norah and Jenny, (although that word is not used and nor is there any evidence of sexual activity that might alarm the 1936 censors), it is mostly just a miserable tale of the woes of unrequited love.

There is also a weird cross-dressing doctor, who seems to think he should have been a woman, who delivers long-winded, rambling soliloquies in fruity and obscure language about the nature of love and life, but I don't think he makes anyone feel better except himself. He then proceeds to go off and get pissed - again!

The writing is quite unique, and I can appreciate that Barnes has taken extreme care to create poetic and romantic sentences, but it is too often obscure, turgid and excessively purple.

Perhaps this is meant to be art rather than story telling. But, if was a picture of the wall, I wouldn't look at it twice.

I gave it 3 stars out of 5, but perhaps that was generous.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Han26+
Currently Reading: The DC Comics Encyclopedia
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han26.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Han26+ »

U2 at the End of the World by Bill Flanagan. Eleven out of ten. This is actually the third time I’ve read it, it’s one of my favourite books because I am a big fan of the band and the writer is so bloomin’ hilarious!
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Of Zots and Xoodles
by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
My rating: 4 out of 4
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Rise And Fall Of Free Speech In America by D.W. Griffith. Interesting account of censorship in the early days of motion pictures and censorship over the years, especially about politics. Even tho this was written around 1920 a lot of it is true today. 4 out of 5.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Maxiemoollious1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maxiemoollious1 »

The last book I read was The Perks Of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I give it a 5/5 stars because I absolutely love how he decided to write the story. Not only when having Charlie write letters to an unknown friend made me feel like I was the friend he wrote to, it made me feel like I was in the story as well. While reading it, I felt nostalgia and envisioned myself watching everything happen as if I was really there. Another thing I loved was how he portrayed mental illness in a healthy, accurate way. I usually get picky about those sorts of things, especially with a certain show of which I shall not name. I would absolutely recommend reading this book, I enjoyed it from the first to the last page.
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Two more books completed recently. Firstly, How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (2004) reads like a Young Adult novel, given that it is told from the viewpoint of a 15 year old American girl, but there is plenty here for an older audience to appreciate.

Rosoff manages to maintain the voice of a mildly rebellious teenager throughout the narrative, even in the darker moments, and there is no shortage of humour and pathos, regardless of the situation. I snorted and chuckled out loud on several occasions.

There was a genuine risk of the narrative become overly sentimental, given that it involves young people dealing with trauma and relationships of love that border on hero-worship at times, but Rosoff has kept a lid on it and created a poignant and heartfelt story that mostly manages to avoid the more obvious cliches.

Easy and enjoyable to read - 4 stars out of 5.

Secondly, The Lost Language of Cranes by David Leavitt, first published in 1986, which deals with male homosexuality in New York from a couple of perspectives, at a time when fear of the AIDS virus was prominent.

I enjoyed the thoughtful, intelligent writing by Leavitt, and the way he handled a sensitive and controversial topic in a manner that could be appreciated by all readers, both gay and straight.

4.5 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

An audio book of Edgar Allan Poe's Berenice read by Vincent Price. One of Poe's best, very creepy and with a shocker of an ending. Mr. Price's rendition gave me chills, I would like to hear more of his readings.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Renu G
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Just finished reading Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

I rated it 3 out of 4 stars.
CoralFairy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CoralFairy »

The last book I read was Magic Sleeps by Cherie Smith. I absolutely couldn't put it down! :)
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

The last book I read was The Poetic Vibrations of a Matured Butterfly by Arthur Lee Conway. I gave it a 4 out of 4 star rating. The poetry was dark, but very good!
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Renu G

Post by Renu G »

The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin
by M.E. Hembroff
My rating: 3 out of 4

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”