What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ragnar Lothbrok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ragnar-lothbrok.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Ragnar Lothbrok »

I just finished Executive Hoodlum by John Costello.

The book is based on the author's autobiography. The well-known account of someone who faces much hardship in life to finally achieve a successful life. What makes this book so unique is the author's propensity for simplicity while writing. A good read for those who are fond of well scrutinized success stories.
Stundey1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Stundey1 »

I just finished The Boron Letter by Gary C. Halbert. I give it 5 star. Gary touched more than the art of copywriting in his book.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Morality Play by Barry Unsworth (Man Booker Shortlist 1995) is one of those stories that just creep up on you quietly until you realise you are completely in its thrall.

Nicholas Barber, a lapsed monk who absents himself from his Order without permission, stumbles across a band of travelling players on the road who have just lost one of their troupe, Brendan, to death by natural causes. The players take Nicholas into their party to maintain their number at six, required to stage their humble plays.

They enter a town to ensure Brendan is buried properly and to earn a few pence to refresh their dwindling resources. They soon learn that there has been a recent death of a young boy in the town, and that a young woman has been convicted of the murder.

Having earned scarce reward from staging one of their regular morality plays, barely covering costs, the troupe decides to perform to the townspeople a play about the murder of the boy, Thomas Wells.

The initial performance is based upon the accepted facts, but the players quickly suspect there is more to this story. By judicious questioning of local folk, including the accused young woman, they arrive at, and present, a version that is closer to the real truth about the murder of Thomas Wells.

Unsworth builds the tension slowly and quietly, using the characters of the troupe and their improvised words and actions to reveal a dark and sinister secret, a tale of power and abuse that abounds in the small rural English town.

The writing is clever and the novel is beautifully constructed, maintaining a medieval atmosphere while revealing a murder that has timeless overtones.

4 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
lalalovesbooks
Favorite Book: The Four Agreements
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by lalalovesbooks »

The last book I read was "Adultery" by Paulo Cohelo. I have to say this is one of my favorites by Cohelo. Such a great book, really made me reflect on my own relationships and life.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

A Police Action by A A Freda.
2 out of 4 stars.
Clairelw69
Favorite Author: Tara Brown
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 16089

Post by Clairelw69 »

A strange hymn (the bargainer series book 2) Laura Thalassa
Rating 4/5
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The last book I read was 'Mama We Made It' by Karli Patterson and I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by NicholsC97 »

I just finished rereading a book that is the third in a series of eleven. I give it a five out of five for all of the books! It's the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost. A half vampire hunts down full vampires to avenge her mother's rape which led to her birth. On her mission she meets Bones, a bounty hunter who is also a vampire.

This book has amazing humor, flawless characters and a plot that keeps you gripped until the end. Definitely not for the faint of heart though. Steamy scenes, gore and cursing are in it so adults only.
Charmyboss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmyboss.html
Latest Review: The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song by Brian Kaufman

Post by Charmyboss »

Finished reading ,The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song.
3 out of 4, it was a great book though.
Elsereen
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsereen.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Elsereen »

My last read book was the king of may a sci-fi I rated it 3/4 stars
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

I read The Altitude Journals. It's a great book and I gave it 4 out of 4 stars.
Amina-Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Amina-Ibrahim »

I finished 30th century escape from here some days ago. It was 1 out of four for me. Other than that I have read Welcome to New york and Sons of the Alpha: heir this week. Still haven't written the reviews though.
Shanza_basheer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanza-basheer.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Shanza_basheer »

:techie-studyinggray:
The last book that I read was ,'The School Of Good And Evil' by Soman Chainani. I love the 'The School Of Good And Evil' series and give it a 5 out of 5 .
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

The last book I read was "Fort Whiskey" by David Banks. It was an excellent book and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys westerns or historical fiction. The story was good and the end wasn't predictable. Also, the characters were believable. I would give it a 5 out of 5 stars.
javila15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javila15.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by javila15 »

I read Who Told You That You Were Naked? I gave a 3 out of 4 star rating.

It was informative, deep, and opens up a wide variety of discussion questions into the book of Genesis in the Bible.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”