What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
H20butterfingers
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by H20butterfingers »

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
Definite 10/10
An35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by An35 »

The book I last read was 'The Widow' by Fiona Barton which I would rate 4 out of 5 stars. The book delves into the mind of a killer's widow and the timeline leading up to the crime (fictional). It's fast-paced and thrilling.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I finished Burn Zones By Jorge Newbury and left a three out fo four-star rating/
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

Last night (this morning) I finished reading Shadow’s Voice. It was really good. I read almost the entire book yesterday and certainly gave up sleep for it. I would rate it 3.8 of 4 with deduction for editing errors. It is older YA fiction of a young lady coming to terms with her place in the world and accepting her magic. There is violence and a little profanity. The writing was excellent.
books_andpoetrii
Currently Reading: Crazy Rich Asians
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetrii.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by books_andpoetrii »

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings, 4 out of 4
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I finished Brave Face by Shaun David Hutchinson and rated it 4 it off 4.

It's a memoir of the author's struggle with internalized homophobia in his teenage years (and beyond). It's amazing and a terribly difficult read (it covers the authors suicide attempt), but it shows why we need more queer rep. (and other rep.), in our media.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
davado123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by davado123 »

THE MERMAID AND MRS HANCOCK by Imogen Hermes Gowar
1785 ad sea merchant Jonah Hancock, has just been told that his captain has just sold his ship for a mermaid.
Soon everyone wants to see this mermaid.
It is his ambitious wife, Angelica that realises the true potential of this mermaid. And the success it can bring. For her, the prosperity and fame, and for each of them, a financialy secure life.
But is she able to overcome the power of destruction ,a mermaid is believed to possess. This also takes on a new meaning as the bond between herself and the mermaid begins to devolop
It is a story of ambition (Angelica ) of love, and at times is funny, and can also be achingly sad and reflective. The beauty of the story, lies in the narrative skill of the author.
Due to her driving ambiton, her verve, sense of humour and her strength to overcome any situation, Angelica, has since become one of my fav fictional characters.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Galore by Michael Crummey is a book I came to with few expectations and yet I was ultimately delightfully surprised and enchanted.

Spanning most of the 19th century and concluding at the end of WWI in the early 20th century, Galore is set in the township of Paradise Deep on the harsh coast of Newfoundland. This is a fishing village, where the people depend for their welfare and prosperity on the success of the annual fishing expeditions.

The narrative, which spans several generations, features the families and visiting folk of Paradise Deep, especially featuring the Devine and Sellers families, with offspring both legitimate and illegitimate.

The language is earthy, raw, occasionally crude, but always seemingly authentic and well researched. The people are eccentric, mystical even fantastical, blunt, unforgiving and yet community spirited.

There are just so many wonderful characters and moments in this excellent novel as it progresses over a century in time and generations of families that I was completely captivated and intrigued by the delightful plot and the masterful writing that created an atmosphere that was at once stark and intimate.

5 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Oliver_books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-books.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Oliver_books »

The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater
Rating: 3 out of 4
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I just read Something In The Mirror by Doug Hall as 2 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the story and would recommend it as a quick read, but I was disappointed at the lack of horror and abrupt ending. I would like to give this 2.8 out of 4, because the writing and editing are quite good, the story just feels unfinished.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

My last book was Sherwood by Meagan Spooner. It was easily a 4 out of 4. A retelling of the Robin Hood story when Robin of Loxley dies in the Holy Wars and Marian finds herself wearing the Hood.
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I read Delta: In the Middle of the Lake by Nike Izmaylov and Michelle Izmaylov
I rated it two out of four
Nightreaderx
Currently Reading: Unhinged
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Nightreaderx »

The last book I read was After we fell by Anna Todd. I liked the storyline but the amount of emotional abuse and sex made it almost raunchy. I rate it a 2 out of 5
BlueEyedMisfit
Currently Reading: B-Side
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blueeyedmisfit.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by BlueEyedMisfit »

The last book I read was actually for this site. It's called Empowerment. It's basically a guide full of tips for owning or starting to own your own business. I don't usually read things of that sort. I don't usually read nonfiction. But, I actually found myself enjoying this one. I rated it a 3 out of 4 because it was a good and helpful book, but it had a number of errors in the grammar.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

I just read A cry in the night by Mary Higgins Clark. It's a psychological thriller which is one of my favourite genres. I loved it. I've been recommending it to my friends.i rate it 4 out of 4

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”