What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Zora C Penter »

I just finished Final Notice by Van Fleisher. While I enjoyed the premise and the questions the book raises, the editing left enough to be desired that I could not justify giving it a 4/4. So, I settled on 2.5/4 (will be 3 on my review because we can't do halves).
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Who Told You You Were Naked? I give it 3 out of four stars.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Lily Caramel
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B06W9N897D

Post by Lily Caramel »

The Rose of Sebastopol by Katherine McMahon = 3
The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson = 4

Sorry I read too much to only put one :)
TheMain_Jane

Post by TheMain_Jane »

I just read "Strange the Dreamer" by Laini Taylor. I was blown away by her prose and the imaginative plot. 5/5
cplevansUSMC

Post by cplevansUSMC »

The silent wife by A.S.A. Harrison. It was fast paced, told in alternating voices. Little frustrations with both parties of the story but overall a good read.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Today I finished Fat Vampire by Adam Rex, which was a bit of light-hearted adolescent nonsense.

2 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Pyperjo

Post by Pyperjo »

The last book I read was All the Bright Places. It was very well written and the plot was genius. However, it was absolutely heart wrenching! I would rate it a 5/5 to anyone who is looking for an adventure that ends abruptly.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren. It was a decent read and I rated it 3 out of 4
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

Just finished Reel Sisters and although I loved the premise and the friendship between the women in the novel, the number of grammatical errors detracted from my enjoyment. Ultimately, I will be giving it 3/4 in my review.
rockandroll
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 772">Bleak House</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by rockandroll »

I read Pulitzer Prize winning author, Michael Chabon's newest novel, "Moonglow". It was released in 2016.

This is a part autobiographical/fictional story about Chabon's grandfather and his family told by his grandfather.

Chabon's quirky storytelling and wordplay are in full effect. Highlights include his grandfather's interest in NASA.

Although it dragged a bit with length, highly recommend with rating of 4/5
rockandroll
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 772">Bleak House</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by rockandroll »

I read PEN/Faulkner winning author,TC Boyle's the "Terranauts".

It is a fictional account of the Biosphere 2 experiment. In the novel, 8 scientists are selected to live in an ecosphere for 2 years, and the story is narrated by three characters.

Although the science and character's motivations are intriguing, I felt the character's personalities were not distinct enough.

I still recommend this at 3/5
rockandroll
Currently Reading:

Post by rockandroll »

Elizabeth Ng''s novel, "Little Fires Everywhere", released in 2017, is a tremendous read that takes place in an affluent suburb of Cleveland and is about families from different backgrounds brought together.

There is interplay between all the characters, and is strongest and focuses the most on mother/daughter dynamics.

I really want to give this novel a 5, but a few turns in the plot didn't seem right to me.

Still very highly recommended at 4/5
rockandroll
Currently Reading:

Post by rockandroll »

Madelaine Miller's, New York Times best seller, "Circe" has everyone talking, and it's easy to see why.

Miller takes a relatively obscure Greek goddess from the Odyssey, and gives her full attention in this novel. She takes what is known from classical lit and weaves her own ideas into it.

This book is exciting and very funny.

I'm rating it a 5/5.

Cant't wait to read her Song of Achilles.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski. It was a very interesting read. The review was posted yesterday, and I gave it 3 out of 4 stars.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Winner of the 1974 Booker Prize, The Conservationist by Nadine Gordimer is something of a challenge to read because of its unusual style and structure.

Set in South Africa in the time when white rule was the established norm, this novel features Mehring, a rich industrialist (he is in the pig-iron business) who purchases a small farm in a rural area. Due to his business commitments, he visits the farm only on weekends, when he can, and relies on local black labour to keep the farm running most of the time.

Gordimer reveals Mehring's story, his background, his current situation in a non-linear piecemeal fashion, through stream of consciousness dialogue and internal thought patterns (not formally structured as such) and brief anecdotes about his former wife, his son and his mistress.

The situation on the farm seems to parallel, or is a metaphor for, the steady decline in Mehring's personal life and the nature of his key relationships. Despite his financial prosperity, he does not command full respect, even among his workers, despite his easy-going nature and his apparent generosity.

The Conservationist is not an easy read, but with concentration and some effort it is rewarding and full of insight into political and community structures in a South Africa still dominated by the policies of apartheid.

4 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”