What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Sou Hi »

The last book I read was Culture Man by Guy Cook. Similar to Spiderman, the main character obtained a superpower from an experimental product. But what he chose to do with his abilities was totally different from the normal heroes. You can see my full review here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=155335
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

I read Theatre of racial conflict by Boonmi Popoola and I rated 5 out of 5 stars.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

The Electric Michelangelo by Sarah Hall was shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 2004. The seemingly strange title makes sense once you know it is about a tattoo artist.

It begins in the town of Morecambe Bay on the remote north-west coast of England, where Cyril Parks is growing up in a guest hostel run by his widowed mother.

Teenage Cy becomes apprenticed to the town's resident tattooist, the cantankerous, drunken Elliot Riley, who becomes his mentor and tormentor. When Cy inherits the tattoo parlour upon Riley's death, Cy decides on a change of scenery and embarks for America.

He sets up his tattoo business, the Electric Michelangelo, on Coney Island in New York, in the 1930s, which is the scene of circuses, freak shows, bizarre entertainments and the haunt of a plethora of life's more colourful and eccentric characters.

Cy eventually returns to England, back to Morecambe, to see out his days, and keeps the cycle turning by taking on a young woman as an apprentice.

Hall's prose is stunningly descriptive and evocative, but always gritty, often crude, bordering on harsh, never seeking out the 'pretty' or traditional concepts of beauty, describing tough lives with no compromise and no apology, using the idioms of the times and the places where the story is set.

I simply loved the earthy realism of this novel and give it 4.5 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Patnandi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patnandi.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Patnandi »

The last book have just finished reading was The Lost Years of Billy Battles by Ronald E. Yates. It is a historical fiction about Mr. Battles who is a journalist come American spy in Mexico during the years 1870's to 1918 during the first world war. The book has a great storyline and a captivating side stories about revenge, family relationship and friends. I gave the book a perfect rating of 4/4 stars.
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

I read the Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont and rated it 2 out of 4 stars
Veneshaa2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Veneshaa2 »

My rating of the hand bringer is 4 1/2
VicWest
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by VicWest »

Invitation to a Royal Wedding by Trevor Hall, a book-album about Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson's marriage in 1986, 5/5.
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington, 4/4.
Hibashaikh1509
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Hibashaikh1509 »

I finished reading Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell just a few days ago.
I give it 3/5 stars.
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think the last book I read was The Hours by Michael Cunningham. I did not care for it because it was sad and depressing. Life is sad and depressing and I realize that these stories sometimes have to be told, but ouch! I felt so badly for her but what else, at that time, could have been done for her, if anything? I don't think the writing was necessarily bad, just the story was so awful. Yet, in the grand scheme of things, she was very lucky to have had things she had, things that so many never get. Even the nicest husband can probably be extraordinarily aggravating if one is not content with themselves. I would give it 3 stars because I feel that women writers are often ignored, because mental illness and depression ought to be dealt with in a better fashion, and because it seemed well written.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Henry of Ofterdingen (1802) by Novalis (Friedrich von Hardenberg), an example of early German Romanticism, just didn't float my boat.

Written in flowery poetic prose and a solid dose of sentimental, sappy poetry, it is one of those insipid romances, full of tender, sensitive men, beautiful but soppy women, waxing forever lyrically about both the unbridled joys and insufferable tribulations of life.

Fortunately, it was mercifully short - 2 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Nena mehzz
Favorite Book: The Sun is Also a Star
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-mehzz.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nena mehzz »

Everything everything by Nicola Yoon
I would give it 5/5 cause the book was wonderful and her writing was so warm and hearty. Loved it.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

The last book I read was The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cunnings, it was engaging and, it was nothing like I expected. Amazing book with important life lessons. I rated it 4/4 because it truly deserved nothing less.
HClifford
Favorite Book: Seven at Two Past Five
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hclifford.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HClifford »

How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster: a smart and inciteful book that helps one enjoy reading on a level beyond shear entertainment.
A Bookish Blogger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-bookish-blogger.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by A Bookish Blogger »

The last one I read was Pines by Blake Crouch. I'd say it was about 3 out of 5 stars. It was weird and gory. 😬 The writing itself was really good though and it was very intriguing.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”