How to get into reading like you guys?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
yaganon
Bookshelf Size: 0

How to get into reading like you guys?

Post by yaganon »

I'm a college freshmen. chemical engineering major. I want to go to grad school at a prestigious university, and there's this big blockade from hell called the GRE. I took the SAT twice. Aced the math section, did OK on the writing section and failed the reading twice. 480 first time and 520 second time.

I'm a 10 year immigrant from China, and I've never liked reading. It's unfortunate that reading is Very important no matter what your focus of study is. So I need tips on how I can make myself like reading so I can read more and have a chance of overcoming the GRE verbal section. I've tried to pick up books so many times before, but like trying to loose weight, I gain it all back again (you know what I mean).

this is important to me.
thanks
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

I would try to pick a genre you are interested in and find books that are recommended in that genre. You might also consider audiobooks if you are an auditory learner.

Some books I would recommend that read fast and are fun:

Non-Fiction
Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

Fantasy
Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (the entire series is really good)

Science Fiction
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Thriller
Heartsick by Chelsea Cain

I hope that helps!
morebooks4me

Post by morebooks4me »

Do you enjoy movies? Maybe you can start by reading the books of some of your favorite movies. I always get a much better insight from reading the book and then watching the movie after. It's like you can tell what the characters are thinking.
victorian.noire

Post by victorian.noire »

my boyfriend isnt much of a reader either...it is almost painful to him...but in the past year i have actually managed to get him to read 5 books. none of them were very difficult, but every time he finishes one we discuss it and he always has a better grasp of the discussion and what the book was actually about. he has read angels and demons by dan brown and everything stephanie meyers wrote...the twilight series...it seems lame, but anything is better then nothing.

and i also agree with the book to movie route.

there is a book out there for everyone to fall into you just have to find it...try reading books about what you are interested in. and good luck!
Moore

Post by Moore »

You should start reading the things you really like, may be some short stories or articles and the beginning. Then you should motivate yourself. Try to read the newspapers.
Woodland Nymph

Post by Woodland Nymph »

The key to enjoying reading is first finding a book that would hold your attention. Precisely what others have said before me - search for a story that is about something that interests you.
MoreCowbell

Post by MoreCowbell »

There is a lot of great info on here so far.
The main thing for me is finding a story with characters that interest me. I definitely recommend starting with contemporary fiction, since I find it takes away from the story when you're trying to figure out what the heck they're talking about!
My husband hated fiction but reading Roots by Alex Haley changed all that and then he really enjoyed Swan Song by Robert McCammon. Both books are huge. He loves it when I read to him, so maybe if you start a book on CD, get into it...and then try finishing it yourself in book form.

If you like fantasy: Harry Potter series or Inkworld series
If you like comedy: David Sedaris
If you like horror: It or Pet Sematary by Stephen King
Action: Mine by Robert McCammon
Funny chicklit (although I get the impression you're male): Marian Keyes
True Story/memoir: Alicia: My Story by Alicia Appleman-Jurman
J.Seishu

Post by J.Seishu »

Like many other have said before me in this thread, you should probably try picking up a book from a genre you like. The funny thing about reading for me (and many others i know) is that it gets easier the more you read. Reading faster that is. So just keep trying. Good luck with your reading :)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

An elderly teacher told me a long time ago that the best way to improve your reading skill is to read out loud. I know it may see a bit odd if you are on your own but what the hell if it works ... and I assure you it does!

Best of luck with your endeavours & enjoy it!
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

Fran wrote:An elderly teacher told me a long time ago that the best way to improve your reading skill is to read out loud. I know it may see a bit odd if you are on your own but what the hell if it works ... and I assure you it does!

Best of luck with your endeavours & enjoy it!
I actually do this with some books that I have a hard time paying attention to. Glad to know other people do it too!
shilpa.sonu

Post by shilpa.sonu »

Hi Friend,

can anyone please suggest, how to improve the reading skill...??
often, after reading 2 -3 pages, either i get bored or feel sleepy. sometimes i loose concentration.

Can anyone guide me, how to get rid of these and which book to read?

I stay in INDIA.
Ready2Read

Post by Ready2Read »

Now thats an interesting question....How can one start loving to read???i am not an ardent reader but once I start a book, i start developing interesting and it remains until unless i finish the book....

As my profession is writing, i try reading the latest or at least the famous authors which for me is a necessity just like you....I browse through online sites like A1Books and see their best sellers list...they are often interesting and engaging and hence i order them straightway away to get it door delivered...

i know this wouldn't have helped you so much as an answer but this is what i do :)
xanthe

Post by xanthe »

morebooks4me wrote:Do you enjoy movies? Maybe you can start by reading the books of some of your favorite movies. I always get a much better insight from reading the book and then watching the movie after. It's like you can tell what the characters are thinking.
This is true, and once you start understanding the genres that interest you (they could vary greatly) you will start to get into them much more.
andr70

Post by andr70 »

I'm not sure what your hobby or interests are,but you might start reading some funny stories, most people like them
i_love_reading09

Post by i_love_reading09 »

It's always best to look into books that you would like. It'll be harder if you just go into a library or bookstore and just pick up a random book with a nice cover. I normally read the first page of a book that catches my eye and decide whether or not ill like it. Just take your time finding a good book. It makes a difference when you're reading something you like instead of forcing yourself to read something.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”