If you could change the ending of a book, would you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
anacmg9211
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacmg9211.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Icon If you could change the ending of a book, would you?

Post by anacmg9211 »

We have all been there. The book is so good and so beautifully written that you can't help to be transported inside the story it tells. You find yourself sobbing, crying out in anger or laughing so hard your stomach hurts, maybe the love story is so beautiful it makes you heart fly, but then as you near the end of the book, the plot thickens and the author does things you didn't expect, or didn't want him to... And then the book is over. You close it in tears, or perhaps you toss it to the other side of the bed, walk away and decide you're done reading for good... Until the next day, of course, because you have a long to-read list.

What is that one book that the ending didn't fall where you wanted or expected it to? Would you change it? Why?

For me I actually think I have a few, but the first that comes to mind is My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. The ending was so sad that I spent hours crying over it, and in the days that followed I would feel sad whenever I remembered. I appreciated the plot twist and understood story-wise why she died, but I think I would have rather had Anna give her sister the Kidney and then perhaps Kate living a little longer and then dying.

Your turn, fellow readers, I'm curious as to which books you would change the ending to!
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

Sometimes. I've read books that were so good and engrossing, but the ending was really abrupt and terrible. Also, I do not like sad endings. I always wish I could help the characters somehow, so that the tragedy could be prevented. Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes is one story that I would like to change. A girl and her friends try to make 1000 cranes to make a wish for the girl to be saved (from cancer, I think). Unfortunately, the girl dies just as they are finishing.
anacmg9211
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacmg9211.html

Post by anacmg9211 »

Awwh that does sound sad. I've read my fair share of sad books, to be honest sad books are probably my favorite. A book that stirs my emotions is always a good book to me.
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nfdaniel85 »

I read and enjoyed (until the end) the three book Trilogy The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen. I have never in my life been so disappointed by the ending of a trilogy. I returned all three books, and I complained to every single person I knew. They were such good books and the ending was terrible. It could have been ended a million ways, and she chose the worst one.
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

:doh: the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver. It's a Dystopia trilogy. I liked the book up until it seemed to literally take a hard left turn, slam on the brakes, kill the car and walk away. At what actually seemed to be almost the tipping point. It would've seemed as if she couldn't figure out a way to end it so she slapped a generic 3 sentence ending of basically "and they lived happily ever after. " Right in the middle of the final battle. Uhhh! :hand: :snooty:
folkshot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-folkshot.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by folkshot »

For sure! It's not often and generally it's because the book ended sadly for some character, but there has been a few times when I've really disliked the way an author ended a book and I've wished it would have been written differently.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

I know it says it in the title, and I know the series is for kids but it has to be A Series of Unfortunate Events! I read every single one naively hoping that I would find a happy ending!
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I agree with the My Sister’s Keeper the ending made me hate the book with a burning passion. Another would be the ending of the Divergent Series by Veronica Roth because it felt like the author gave up writing at the end & just wanted to complete/end the series.
umama01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umama01.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by umama01 »

I would charge some type of books. Where the writer is bias. Other than that, most books are beautiful the way they are.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

umama01 wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 16:17 I would charge some type of books. Where the writer is bias. Other than that, most books are beautiful the way they are.
I was trying to formulate an answer to the OP's question when I read your post. I think you expressed exactly how I feel. Couldn't have said it better.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

The Lovely Bones. Actually, I'd change the whole second half of the book.
It was a depressive mess, in my humble opinion.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Uche B »

There are a few book endings I'd like to change. I was just telling my sister that I wish Augustus Waters didn't die in The Fault in Our Stars but she said his death gave the book shape and I guess she's right.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Few times I've felt this way. I don't usually prefer HEA endings but some books just deserve that, you know? And it's a but frustrating when the end is far from what I was expecting/ wanted.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Yes, I would! I participated in a writing competition where we had to change the ending of a famous book. I chose Julius Caesar and twisted it's ending.
Elizabeth14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Elizabeth14 »

Pretty much every book by Natasha Preston has an ending that needs a sequel to which is why most of the time I do not like the ending to her books. However, I still read every single one because I love the genre that she writes in and I find her books so satisfying up until the end. Another book that I really wish was different is "The Last Star" which is the third book in the trilogy of "The Fifth Wave". Since I read the book so long ago, I can not remember the ending that clearly, but I know that it made no sense to me whatsoever and I feel like I wasted my time reading those books when the ending was not as great.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”