How Interesting would life be without Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
AlainaElric
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Re: How Interesting would life be without Books?

Post by AlainaElric »

Not very.
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

As has been raised already, a world without books would boring, backward, and for me, dull.
Think of Fahrenheit 451.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Debbyemi »

SPasciuti wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 12:39 Speaking to something that isn't just about reading books for personal enjoyment, but we would be horribly behind in the progress of a lot of things if there were no books. A great many accomplishments we've managed would never have happened. Imagine science progressing without books to help it along? Imagine all those doctors who would have to learn solely by the word of other doctors. Medical, scientific, and technological advances would all be harder and harder to come by. Likely, we'd be living in a very undeveloped world.
You captured it so well, it will really be an undeveloped world.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Rosemary Wright wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 16:54 Knowledge is essential for a successful life and to have it, you must read books. No books, no life!
We all need knowledge. So so true, 'no books, no life'.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

It'd still be interesting I guess. Think about our ancestors.. But in our modern era, I can't picture a life without reading. There's so much to be learned from what the previous generations have pioneered and also so much to keep innovating on. We'd be nowhere without books.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Arrigo_Lupori wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 16:00 It'd still be interesting I guess. Think about our ancestors.. But in our modern era, I can't picture a life without reading. There's so much to be learned from what the previous generations have pioneered and also so much to keep innovating on. We'd be nowhere without books.
that's so true, they did survive without books, but can't imagine that kind of life again.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

Well I cant imagine it. But I guess it wouldn't be so bad, I would simply switch to movies.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

This, I would not like to think about. But, unfortunately I am. There are a lot of activities I enjoy, especially when I'm outside, but I always bring a book along. The worlds that are created from books that I can immerse myself in, there is nothing like it. My brain's imagination and mindset, I feel, is always enhanced by reading. Life without books is not life. Maybe, we'd find like loose leaf papers, scrolls . . . or random napkins with words on them. Hmmm . . .
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

It would be like life without your best friend. Rudderless.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

I agree, it would be impossible to imagine a world without books. It's a magical adventure everytime I read a new story and a journey to amazing places. Books feed our fantasy, help our imagination to grow, and they often allow us to live new experiences that we couldn't live in real life.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

A world without books is a world that I wouldn't want to be in.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

The question of whether or not life would be interesting without books is a loaded one when asked of people who are all members of an online book club. I have known people who I doubt have ever read a book cover-to-cover in their entire lives and yet they were happy individuals with full and interesting lives.

Some posts on this thread have alluded to mankind's progress without the use of books. The more accurate premise would be mankind's progress without the printed word. The printed word is generally considered man's greatest invention and for good reason, but I think most of us are reacting to the idea of books for reading entertainment. The world would certainly be a dull place without books for entertainment and escape, but I doubt that mankind as a species would be seriously impaired by their loss.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
chareexnicole
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chareexnicole »

Honestly, I feel like it would be boring for me. I know book haters already think reading is boring itself, but I don't know what I would do without books. I mean, yeah, there are other entertainments out there, but books are one of favorite type of entertainments!
BNazareno
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by BNazareno »

A life without books? no no no no no, maybe other people can live without books but I can't , It's the only way to escape this depressive world,life without books (along with music) totally sucks.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Very good question. I actually never thought it before. But, then again, How can one miss what one may never have had?
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”