Have you ever missed your night sleep for a book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Re: Have you ever missed your night sleep for a book

Post by Swat3737 »

Definitely more love of the book than lack of discipline! I definitely have stayed up all night, I remember the first time I read the Da Vinci Code, I absolutely could not sleep and even called in sick the next day to read it a second time! And when I was a kid I would sneak Stephen King books into bed to read them well after bedtime with a flashlight :)
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Debbyemi »

Swat3737 wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 11:33 Definitely more love of the book than lack of discipline! I definitely have stayed up all night, I remember the first time I read the Da Vinci Code, I absolutely could not sleep and even called in sick the next day to read it a second time! And when I was a kid I would sneak Stephen King books into bed to read them well after bedtime with a flashlight :)
Wow, I haven't gotten my love for book to the extent of calling in sick, but I have definitely missed my sleep over countless books.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

Debbyemi wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 06:30
Swat3737 wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 11:33 Definitely more love of the book than lack of discipline! I definitely have stayed up all night, I remember the first time I read the Da Vinci Code, I absolutely could not sleep and even called in sick the next day to read it a second time! And when I was a kid I would sneak Stephen King books into bed to read them well after bedtime with a flashlight :)
Wow, I haven't gotten my love for book to the extent of calling in sick, but I have definitely missed my sleep over countless books.
When I first watched the TV series Lost, I called in sick to binge the first season lol!!! But yeah, I just physically could not put The Da Vinci Code down!
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I've not missed the entire night's sleep over a book, but I certainly have missed several hours of sleep because I just had to see how the book ended. That's happened too many times. So many great books out there...
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

If a book is really interesting, I wouldn't want to drop it, not even for sleep. This happened when I was reading the book, River's End by Nora Roberts.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

Good question! I guess I never went through the whole night reading, but I frequently go to sleep much later than usual because I'm engaged in a good book. And I love when it happens! :D
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I did this with almost every Harry Potter book. I waited in line for the midnight release of the book and stayed up for the rest of the night reading it. I love that series and still read them at least once a year. A few times I even called in sick to work so that I could reread the book (or finally get some sleep). lol
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I did it for both Twilight and Harry Potter. The latter was worth the effort. The former, not so much. Oh, also, never read A Wide Sargasso Sea in the dead of night.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Cristina Biel
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Biel »

Yes, absolutely. Normally this happens to me during holidays, and I really don't know why but more specifically during Christmas holidays. That's why I have my big lamp for those late nights with an amazing book. It's not like I plan for it, but as I get drowned into the story, I can't help but keep on going. I believe a book that has this power (to keep you reading and let time pass until you discover it's almost a brand new day) normally remains in your memories as a great experience. Hopefully you don't have to go to work or school the next day haha
Mara Skywalker
Favorite Book: The Fox
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mara-skywalker.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Mara Skywalker »

Debbyemi wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 06:30
I did this even when I had a test or exam the next day...still not sure how I managed to pass school :lol:
And it still happens if I really enjoy a book. There is this special writing style that gets me hooked, like in Harry Potter or the Hunger Games.
ems1schafer
Currently Reading: Labyrinth
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by ems1schafer »

Yes! I have totally done that a million times...like more often yes than no. I'll sit down to read a few chapters, and next thing I know, I look at the clock and it's four hours later than I thought it was. I swear, I'm addicted, I don't know where the time goes.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

Oh boy, I missed so much sleep when the Harry Potter series first came out. I read those massive books from start to finish. I wouldn't stop all day, unless I absolutely had to. I don't think I could do that anymore. I would just fall asleep with the book on my face now, lol
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

Oh yes! Most recently The 11:05 Murders by Brian O'Hare.

And, one weekend I binge-read Lord of the Rings. :D
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

In the times before my sophomore year of high school, I definitely had sleepless nights because of a book. In fact, I would have sleepless weeks. Some people would be watching TV under their covers at night but I would be reading a book until the time I had to wake up. Now my body can't handle that even though I'm not that old.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
bookworm2567
Currently Reading: Formatting Your Fantastic Book
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by bookworm2567 »

Just recently (maybe 2 or 3 days ago) I spent the entire night reading "Daisy Jones and The Six" It's just one of those books you can't put down or ever get enough of.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”