Post your views on self-help books!!

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
cathygray
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post your views on self-help books!!

Post by cathygray »

Hello all, I like reading self-help books and I wanna know your thoughts on these kind of books. Anybody who is interested can leave ur replies here.

I look forward to your participation.
Thanks... :)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Most self-help books are a total waste of money ... all they accomplish is to help the author to your money!
Lainey1978

Post by Lainey1978 »

Fran wrote:Most self-help books are a total waste of money ... all they accomplish is to help the author to your money!
Not if you get them from the library. :wink:

I think some can be helpful, but some (maybe even most) are a complete load of crap.
Woodland Nymph

Post by Woodland Nymph »

I usually don't read self-help books, but someone recommend The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World, several months ago. So I gave the book a try, and words cannot express how insightful I found it. After wondering around, thinking there was something wrong with me all my life, this book revealed to me the unique mind of an introvert, and taught me not to be ashamed of who I am.

So, I say, if you want to read a self-help book to "improve" yourself in whatever way you feel is necessary, than be all means, do so.
Moore

Post by Moore »

Everything depends on your faith. If you believe it can be true, but if you are sceptical, just don't read them. I know some books help people and they try to build their lives according to books. As for me, i read them when i want to get an answer to my question.
cathygray

Post by cathygray »

Its true that we are lost in this materialistic world and its improtant to know what is lacking in our life. Today success is there but happiness is not. It is because we dont even get the time to celebrate our success, think about it and enjoy it.
A book named "The Practical Guide to Exceptional Living" by Jim Garland has answered many of my questions. I am waiting for the book to be delivered so that I get time to think about myself and my life... :D
poomlie

Post by poomlie »

Hey Cathy, thought you already read this. This quote from you in Reviews:
Hi all,
A very interesting book for self-improvement is released named "The Practical Guide to Exceptional Living.

It consists of health and self-improvement concepts and it guides us how to live the life of our dreams.

I found it very interesting and I hope you too will find it amazing.
Guess you are pushing it for some reason.
cathygray

Post by cathygray »

Yes, this is the book I like a lot and I am also planning to write one. So Just wanna know what people feel about these self-help books..
:)
poomlie

Post by poomlie »

So what is the deal, in one post you say you have read it and another you say you are waiting to read it?
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

Hmm, I think they can be somewhat useful, but only supplemental to other materials. I once worked in a library, and while checking in eight self help books about becoming more organized, found they were overdue. Oh delicious irony.
"The world has been printing books for 450 years, and yet gunpowder still has a wider circulation. Never mind! Printer's ink is the greater explosive: it will win." - Christopher Morley, "The Haunted Bookshop."
cathygray

Post by cathygray »

We can read the first chapter by downloading it from the website and the book is yet to be released.
Anyways I am discussing on self-help books and people who find it interesting can discuss it.
DaveyDave

Post by DaveyDave »

I've read quite a few books that might be considered self-help books. Personally, I find them really interesting. Not particularly because I feel 'I need help', but because they typically attempt to explain psychogical and emotional issues that people in the 21st centrury tend to suffer from. Some of the insights into our society and conseqences of our origins help to explain why we (as humans) are the way we are, why we feel what we feel and what is point of us being here anyway.

Generally, I find them quite positive in their outlook and they help provide some of the 'emotional intelligence' learning sadly lacking from today's formal school and college education.

Dave
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

I read about one a month to change my genres up and keep things fresh and I would say most say the same thing but every once in a while you will get a different perspective towards a subject that you can take something away from.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Divya Tamilselvan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-t.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B086KCQX95

Post by Divya Tamilselvan »

I too read self-help books and love reading it. But I think some books tell the same things over and over again with different words. So I choose self-help books with different topics.
Jolaade Idowu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborah363.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Jolaade Idowu »

Self-help books are boring. I know they can be very helpful in motivating you to do this and that. Most self-helps I pick up to read, I don't complete them. I get tired.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”