Seeing people in public with a book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Book_Wyrm
Currently Reading: The Brendan Voyage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-wyrm.html

Re: Seeing people in public with a book

Post by Book_Wyrm »

I try to always have a book with me ... I've got two or three sitting in my car, just in case. :D At my favourite restaurant I often see one guy who's always got a book, as I do. I often want to go over and engage in a little "book chat" but I'm not sure they'd appreciate the interruption.

I've recently received an iPad but don't carry it around. At the moment I've got nothing to carry it in and I don't like the idea of just tucking it under one arm and walking off down the road. I don't want to risk dropping it.

Like many here, I much prefer "real" books. However, I used to travel by train home to visit my mother (I now live in the same city as her) and at that time, an iPad or something similar would've been very much appreciated -- it would've certainly weighed less than the suitcase full of books I usually dragged along with me. :lol:
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I have a bus ride in the morning and afternoon for my transit to work and quite honestly a very large portion of people are reading a book whether it be in a physical book, e-reader, or other electronic device. There are very few public places I go, where a little bit of waiting is required, that DO NOT have people reading.
Ama Idim
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I don't see many people these days with books. I carry books a lot to read if I find time, it mostly attracts people's attention
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

gregs317 wrote: 16 Feb 2017, 07:49 I was just at a medical waiting room yesterday, and had to sit there for about 45 mins. I was feeling foolish that I hadn't brought a book with me to kill some time. And of course, three gentlemen proceed to join the crowd - each of them carrying a book! Wow, I felt so silly, lol.

I also spotted a woman at another place with a book.
Have you spotted anyone with a book in public recently? Greg

Hehe. Recently, I haven't spotted anyone with a book in public but I've spotted people in public with books several times. I myself don't go public places with books.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

I don't think this was the point of the post, but I immediately find people I see reading, in public, attractive.
DE Navarro
Currently Reading: The Way of Zen
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DE Navarro »

I don't see many people reading books these days. I do see some with Kindles and Nooks and other devices as well as smart phones reading books or something. Being an author and editor, I conducted a personal survey in the L.A. area of California in 2015 to find out who reads books. We book lovers are really a rare breed. Can you believe that my survey results came out that only 3 out of every 10 people have even read a full book or books since college? And only 2 out of every 10 were consistent readers. And less than 1 out of 10 (more like 1 in every 30) were book lovers? No wonder it is so hard to sell books. With over 10 million books in print and the number growing exponentially in our modern digital era, it's not easy to sell a new book.

Anyway, even with the apparent dismal numbers I discovered, just remember that it still figures out to be a large number in the end. For instance out of 22 million people who live in the L.A. metro area, that means 6.5 million have read a book since college, 4.5 million are consistent readers, and about 734 thousand are book lovers.
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

Yeah I did see people in university reading a book. When I see people with a book it makes me happy that people try their best to find time for reading.
Amna Khalid
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

I don't carry book in my hands anymore. I have books on my phone, I look Ike the fact that I can access lots of books
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

These days people usually check their phones when they need to wait for a while. If I know I will be waiting for a while, I try to take a book with me. It is not always easy to relax enough to read when one is waiting in a doctor's waiting area, as I normally am anxious if I have a doctor's appointment.
Cwilde13
Currently Reading: Watership Down
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwilde13.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cwilde13 »

I seem to be the only one who still carries around a book where I live. Everyone else who I encounter in a waiting room or other public space always seems to be on their phones instead.
VeeBookLover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veebooklover.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by VeeBookLover »

I think it's cool when someone is carrying around a book, I do that sometimes too. I might even get a chance to see what they're reading.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

I haven't spotted people with a book recently, except with phones.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

Yes, I have spotted some people in public with books. My heart smiles and I think 'my kind of people'. I know I am stereotyping, but it's rare to see people reading books nowadays.
Preye I
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

Brings me so much joy. I always try to sneak a peak at what they are reading.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

:D yes, and it is me!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”