Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

bookslayer4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by bookslayer4 »

Ever-Changing Truth had me bawling, because I just couldn't imagine going through the things Amy endured.
Gigareads
Favorite Author: Morgan Matson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gigareads.html
Latest Review: The Dream Keepers by Linda Keen
fav_author_id: 4123

Post by Gigareads »

Every book I have read by Nicholas Sparks has made me cry. The movies too.
FionaTZY
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by FionaTZY »

The Chinese Cinderella! I know it may seem like a young child's book but I preferred it to Falling Leaves, the young adult version as it was more of a black and white biography. It really touched my heart and as a history buff, I had done lots of research on the history behind it so I better understood the horrible conditions she was put through during the war time.
GretchenLee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gretchenlee.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by GretchenLee »

I never used to cry for books or films, but one book got me tearing up when I read it in high school. It's called Hate List by Jennifer Brown. It's controversial, because some people don't really agree with "romanticizing" trauma. However, I did not feel this book "romanticized" it at all. The novel was about the effects after a fictitious school shooting, where the protagonist was a survivor as well as the shooter's girlfriend. She not only faces her own grief--that she has to hide from her schoolmates--but also faces severe blame. People assume she should have known, and many believe she was part of the plan from the beginning. Reading it, you can't help but feel empathy towards the shooter himself, which is pretty frightening once you realize you're feeling it. At the end of the book, which I can't explain without giving too much away, I was in tears just from the raw emotion Valerie (prot) felt.
Day Pearl Romano

Post by Day Pearl Romano »

The book that made me cry is the book of “The hows of us” the story is about two lovers from college until they graduated and got separated because of lack of time of each other. Until one day they realize that they are so different.
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

To those who said harry potter, I can totally relate to you because I'm a huge harry potter fan , I'm a pottermore and the book that made me cry the most is the 6th book, specifically when dumbledore die. the 5th and 7th books are the runner-ups.
Jonsgirlxo23

Post by Jonsgirlxo23 »

Twilight lol
Philip LoPresti
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Sparrow
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-lopresti.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Philip LoPresti »

The Sparrow by Mary Doris Russell made me well up. In the book, you learn right from the beginning the awful fate that awaits many of the characters. Much of the story is told in flashbacks, where you get to know and like the characters, and you start to hope they aren’t going to die- the more you get to know them, the more upsetting it is to know they’re doomed.
And when each of the likable characters met their end, i teared up. A lot.
bdu15062
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bdu15062.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by bdu15062 »

I cried in The Fault In Our Stars and Me Before You. Such sad, depressing books I don't know why I do it to myself. But they are a great read.
kelcheri93
Currently Reading: Night Film
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelcheri93.html
Latest Review: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959) by David J Castello

Post by kelcheri93 »

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Truly an amazing novel!
r_bhavika
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Favorite Book: Slammed
Currently Reading: The Sun is Also a Star
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-bhavika.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by r_bhavika »

Books that made me cry.
Me before you
The thousand boy kisses by Tillie Cole
It ends with us by Colleen hoover
Bright side by Kim Holder.
"The world was hers for the reading.” – Betty Smith :techie-studyinggray:
prayz_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by prayz_ »

Karen Kingsbury books are the key to my tears. She makes her stories seem so real, you literally connect with the characters.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I don’t think I’ve ever sobbed reading a book but I have gotten choked up by several different books. I think any book that you can relate to at an emotional level has the potential of doing that especially if it’s well written.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I cannot remember the last a book made me cry. I tend to be moved more by what I see. This is also largely contributed by the fact that I read fiction books mainly.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Theresam wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 12:11 I don’t think I’ve ever sobbed reading a book but I have gotten choked up by several different books. I think any book that you can relate to at an emotional level has the potential of doing that especially if it’s well written.
This is also what happens to me several times but it is rare to find me crying after reading a book or a certain scene in it. I often find myself empathizing with the characters instead.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”